Grappling Problem...READ PLZ!!!

GuardGame

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Ok, im 16 years old been doing BJJ for 2 years and im a blue belt. I really wanna join the High School Wrestling team. But my dad said that I couldnt join because it was either BJJ or Wrestling and that I cant do both.

Yes, I realize that by joining the wrestling team, its only going to help my BJJ, my takedowns, and my base. But, I love BJJ too much to leave it and do something else. Im very committed to my school and I also help teach the kids classes. I cant leave my BJJ.

So, theres this Judo academy right next store to my BJJ school. And I really want to join. I went up and asked my mom about crosstraining in both Judo and BJJ. Like BJJ Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and Judo Tuesday and Thursday. And she said that if it was going to happen, then it will probably happen after the 2005 year, which is like a half hour from now.

I look at world class BJJ player like Ronoldo "Jacare'" Souza (He's my idol) and he has GREAT Judo takedowns. And if I were to train BJJ and Judo, by the time im 21, I think I would have one of the most open and dominant games out there.

Ok, now, heres the question: If I actually were to crosstrain in BJJ and Judo, by the time I turn 21 which is in 5 years, would I be able to pick up wrestling more naturally and be able to get on a decent, if not high level of wrestling takedowns in about a year of wrestling after Ive actively crosstrained in BJJ and Judo?

Answers, opinions, words of advice would be REALLY REALLY appreciated. Thanks guys.

GuardGame said:
Ok, im 16 years old been doing BJJ for 2 years and im a blue belt. I really wanna join the High School Wrestling team. But my dad said that I couldnt join because it was either BJJ or Wrestling and that I cant do both.

Yes, I realize that by joining the wrestling team, its only going to help my BJJ, my takedowns, and my base. But, I love BJJ too much to leave it and do something else. Im very committed to my school and I also help teach the kids classes. I cant leave my BJJ.

So, theres this Judo academy right next store to my BJJ school. And I really want to join. I went up and asked my mom about crosstraining in both Judo and BJJ. Like BJJ Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and Judo Tuesday and Thursday. And she said that if it was going to happen, then it will probably happen after the 2005 year, which is like a half hour from now.

I look at world class BJJ player like Ronoldo "Jacare'" Souza (He's my idol) and he has GREAT Judo takedowns. And if I were to train BJJ and Judo, by the time im 21, I think I would have one of the most open and dominant games out there.

Ok, now, heres the question: If I actually were to crosstrain in BJJ and Judo, by the time I turn 21 which is in 5 years, would I be able to pick up wrestling more naturally and be able to get on a decent, if not high level of wrestling takedowns in about a year of wrestling after Ive actively crosstrained in BJJ and Judo?

Answers, opinions, words of advice would be REALLY REALLY appreciated. Thanks guys.

Are you working towards MMA or a high level of BJJ competition?

If you're focused on being a great gi player, I don't see why you even need wrestling. I mean, sure, it'd help, but if you're training for Pan Ams or something, Judo is probably even better considering that it'll give you takedowns to do with the gi.

I plan on competing on a high level of BJJ in the future, both gi and no-gi. My question is: I'll have been actively crosstraining in BJJ and Judo for 5 years by the time im 21. If I were to include wrestling training in my grappling arsenal, would I be able to get on a decent, if not high level of wrestling takedowns in about a year after 5 years of BJJ and Judo?

GuardGame said:
I plan on competing on a high level of BJJ in the future, both gi and no-gi. My question is: I'll have been actively crosstraining in BJJ and Judo for 5 years by the time im 21. If I were to include wrestling training in my grappling arsenal, would I be able to get on a decent, if not high level of wrestling takedowns in about a year after 5 years of BJJ and Judo?

i am 23 and have done both wrestling and jiu jitsu about the length you hope to accomplish..... ill be honest, with a gi im shit but no gi ill fight bb's so i say you make your own decision from there

well if you are in the states then wrestling is free and it's also a good way to make new friends at school so i would say wrestling. besides wrestling season is only during the winter so the other times you can just train bjj. Talk to your BJJ coach and ask what he thinks is best for you.

^^Thanks, but like I said, Im not gonna sacrifice BJJ time to wrestle after school. Id much rather crosstrain in BJJ and Judo (since the Judo school is right next door). And then, when im 21, also crosstrain in wrestling. My question again is: I'll have been actively crosstraining in BJJ and Judo for 5 years by the time im 21. If I were to include wrestling training in my grappling arsenal, would I be able to get on a decent, if not high level of wrestling takedowns in about a year after 5 years of BJJ and Judo?

I say stick with BJJ and Judo if you do want to compete at high level BJJ. And yes you could easily transistion to wrestling later on... if you still want to do that. You would probably be able to pick up the wrestling moves pretty quickly.

Wolverine
///

If your judo training is good enough you won't have much need to pursue wrestling.
Look at Jacare who subbed the more wrestlerlike Cacareco now in Abu Dhabi.
Taking off the gi doesn't mean you lose all your takedown ability if you're a judo player.
Sergei, Fedor and Aleks prove that.
Wrestling is more appropriate to no gi but if you crosstrain a bit your judo skills will adapt.

Meaning if I crosstrain a bit with wrestling, my Judo skills will adapt to my wrestling?

If its a choice between:

Wrestling

-OR-

BJJ & Judo

...then your choice should be obvious. Do BJJ and Judo. However most times compromise with parents is what you need. With the right grades and attitude I am sure you will be able to figure out how to do:

BJJ & Wrestling.

I'm 17 and am hoping to crosstrain in judo whenever I get purple. Right now I just wanna focus on BJJ. Just do what I do, just convince them how it will be beneficial to you and how you're not using drugs and shit. LOL. Works for me man.

Personally, I think you should take wrestling. Not so much that it's better then Judo or anything like that. But because High School Athetics are a once in a lifetime experience. You'll never get the chance to participate in HS wrestling again after you graduate, while BJJ, Judo, and MMA will ALWAYS be there. Also, if you take HS Wrestling, you may be able to work that into a college schloarship. Also, like one poster mentioned, wrestling is seasonal, so you could still take BJJ (& Judo??) the rest of the year. Finally, I think it will be hard to find a wrestling club after you're 21. I'm sure some exist, but none that I'm aware of. Also, even though you'd have a solid BJJ/Judo background, at that point, I think they would want people who are somewhat knowledgabe in wrestling.

wrestling would greatly improve your physical/athletic ability as far as strength, speed and explosiveness goes which will help a lot in your bjj career (regardless how many idiots tell you that speed and strength doesn't matter) so i would suggest doing wrestling since it is only a winter sport ... but i see you're pretty convinced about sticking to bjj if so you can take judo and it will help you a lot too and in the future you will be able to pick up wrestling easier if you do it

another alternative is what i'm currently doing (i train bjj but have never wrestled or done judo before so my takedowns suck) to fix that i train a couple hours a week at my bjj club with an all state wrestler (i'm sure you have some good wrestlers at your school as well) now in my case the wrestler is new to bjj so i help him with bjj in return he helps me with takedowns and stuff

you should wrestle, you'll never have another opportunity to learn to wrestle at this level ever again. sure you can take a takedown class here and there, but you'll NEVER be good at it. judo has good takedowns, but doesn't transition well to wrestling because of a lot of stylistic differences. same with wrestling to judo. you're only 16, 3 months of wrestling and 9 months of bjj isn't going to kill your game, in fact it'll help you more than you know. i wrestled for 8 years before starting bjj and developed a LOT of matsense and control, and of course a huge arsenal of takedowns. you will also learn a mentality i have rarely seen taught in bjj schools. wrestling will teach you a mental toughness no other sport teaches you, and that is something much more valuable than you missing 3 months of bjj.

Yeah, theres a Judo Black Belt whos been training with us for about 3 months now, hes been helping me with my takedowns as well. I see the way he just throws people around in sparring when we start standing and he ALWAYS gets a takedown. Hes just so explosive with the gi, hes not too bad without it either.

I look at my idol (Jacare') and he crosstrains in Judo and BJJ, hes a world champion and ADCC champ, but i KNOW that he also crosstrains in wrestling...Thats why i want to crosstrain in Judo and BJJ for 5 years and then find a wrestling club and to also crosstrain in wrestling. I was wondering would i be able to pick up wrestling pretty quick from my experience with 5 years of BJJ and Judo?

Hmmm, more posts, information, opinions, and words of adivce would be greatly appreciated guys... THX =)

Why exactly would they be open to BJJ and Judo, but not Wrestling and BJJ? Is it just driving to and from the school or what?

Also why are people saying he wont have this oppertunity ever again? I'm 17 and my school doesnt have werstling. Does that mean I can go to another school untill I'm a certain age?

My moms open to BJJ and Judo, cuz the school are literally right next store to each other, and it would be easier for me to do these 2, BJJ: Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Judo: Tuesday and Thursday.

My dads not cool with wrestling and BJJ cuz he said it would doing both would fuck with my grades and how I do in school. He said it was either wrestling or BJJ, AND THERES NO WAY IM GONNA STOP DOING BJJ FOR ANY AMOUNT OF TIME, PERIOD.

I think my dad would be more open and be ok with me doing BJJ and Judo on these different days for the simple fact that the schools are literally right next to each other, makes it easy for me and easy for them.

I agree with my dad in the sense that doing BJJ and Wrestling at the same time would fuck with my grades, as I am getting straight C's in school right now, and there is no grade of "D" in my high school, so after the grade of "C" it just goes straight to "F".

Doing Judo and BJJ wont be hard on me and my grades at all, cuz i pretty much already go to BJJ every night of the week, plus, the occasional Saturday morning.

My plan is, like i said above, to actively train BJJ and Judo for 5 years, then, crosstrain in Wrestling along with my BJJ and Judo. Since I seriously plan on competing at a high level of BJJ in the future as I am young enough and still have plenty of time.

When I start training in Wrestling by the time I'm 21, would I be able to transition to Wrestling takedowns without a problem because of my experience in BJJ and Judo?

Back