Grappling Problem...READ PLZ!!!

other gracies who wrestled and did rather well were rorion's kids

I see what you guys are saying, to hang up my gi for 3 months, but i WONT/CANT do it. I have to help out with the kids classes on certain days, then i train 3-4 times a week BJJ. Thats why Im sayin to do BJJ and Judo...i never said: "Fuck that i dont wanna wrestle" I DO wanna wrestle but i cant because of BJJ. Thats why I wanna do BJJ and Judo now and then, when im 21, I'll wrestle....

Im just askin if this is a good idea, (it certainly is the best I can do right now). And, when I do start to wrestle...My question still stands from my very first post on this thread......When i do start to wrestle, will I be able to acheive decent, if not good wrestling techniques within a year of actively training wrestling?<<----Thats my question, ALL i want is answers and different opinions on THIS question, not: "Dude, hang up you gi and do H.S. wrestling, this chance to wrestle competively only comes around once"<---I didnt ask about that, nor do i want to hear that, as I have already heard it enough. I asked about wrestling techniques, and answers, opinions, and words of advice is all i want/need

Thank You.

GuardGame said:
I see what you guys are saying, to hang up my gi for 3 months, but i WONT/CANT do it. I have to help out with the kids classes on certain days, then i train 3-4 times a week BJJ. Thats why Im sayin to do BJJ and Judo...i never said: "Fuck that i dont wanna wrestle" I DO wanna wrestle but i cant because of BJJ. Thats why I wanna do BJJ and Judo now and then, when im 21, I'll wrestle....

Im just askin if this is a good idea, (it certainly is the best I can do right now). And, when I do start to wrestle...My question still stands from my very first post on this thread......When i do start to wrestle, will I be able to acheive decent, if not good wrestling techniques within a year of actively training wrestling?<<----Thats my question, ALL i want is answers and different opinions on THIS question, not: "Dude, hang up you gi and do H.S. wrestling, this chance to wrestle competively only comes around once"<---I didnt ask about that, nor do i want to hear that, as I have already heard it enough. I asked about wrestling techniques, and answers, opinions, and words of advice is all i want/need

Thank You.

Oh, that makes sense. You will get decent takedowns from a year of wrestling when you turn 21. You can get good takedowns from no-gi grappling, depending on the people you work with. People don't like to admit it, but you can get great takedowns, simply if you have a good wrestler in your class. Ask him, "Hey, can we do takedowns and you help me out?" If he is anything like hayliks, he will say "Fuck you, you should have wrestled in high school." But most people aren't like hayliks, so give that a shot as well.

The reality of the matter is that unless you're extremely lucky in where you live Judo in the states is crappy compared to the level of wrestling instruction and competition available for free in high schools across a large chunk of the states.

You've already decided, but taking a couple months off a year to wrestle would do more for your overall grappling than judo.

"Don't get obsessed with the first girl who's nice to you".

Dominic Kihlstrand said:
Oh, that makes sense. You will get decent takedowns from a year of wrestling when you turn 21. You can get good takedowns from no-gi grappling, depending on the people you work with. People don't like to admit it, but you can get great takedowns, simply if you have a good wrestler in your class. Ask him, "Hey, can we do takedowns and you help me out?" If he is anything like hayliks, he will say "Fuck you, you should have wrestled in high school." But most people aren't like hayliks, so give that a shot as well.

LOL i guess im one of those that are nothing like hayliks cause i would never turn down anyone that wanted to learn takedowns. But then again that is just me

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=314685

From the sounds of things, you already know what you are going to do. At this point, you are just wasting bandwidth. This is twice that you've asked the same question, and you've gotten the exact same responses. If you gave a shit about what anyone here had to say, you would have taken the advice offered in your first thread on the matter, or at least pretended to consider it. Instead, you start another thread hoping that everyone will have changed their mind, decide to pat you on the back and tell you you were right all along. You wanted an opinion, and you've had dozens by now, very few of which seem to correspond with the attitude you came in here with. I don't care if you don't want advice, but the fact that you keep coming here pretending to care what any of us have to say when in reality all you want is someone to tell you that you are right is disgusting. Do what you like, but don't insult the intelligence of everyone reading this thread by pretending to respect their opinions.

You'l have decent takedowns by the time you're 21. 5 years in judo will really improve your takedown game

GuardGame said:
Im just askin if this is a good idea, (it certainly is the best I can do right now). And, when I do start to wrestle...My question still stands from my very first post on this thread......When i do start to wrestle, will I be able to acheive decent, if not good wrestling techniques within a year of actively training wrestling?<<----Thats my question, ALL i want is answers and different opinions on THIS question.

In that case, NO. You will not be able to achieve good techniques because it will be extremely difficult to find a place to train decent wrestling.

Guardgame:

In regards to your initial concern (would the skills acquired from wrestling justify sacrificing the BJJ), I strongly believe you can hone in on takedowns with a year of wrestling (what year in school are you in anyways?). In essence, you would actually be coming in with a wealth of experience.

The way I see it, strong wrestling takedowns (leg attacks, headlocks) will ONLY give you an advantage against exclusively BJJ/Judo competitors.

I am a BJJ Blue belt, with about 3 years sub wrestling experience, wrestled in JH/HS/club in college (went to wrestling camp, too). I just started judo and I'll tell you that wrestling skills (leg attacks, scrambling abilities, and sprawling) will frustrate most Judo/BJJ guys. There is a BJJ brown belt at my ol' BJJ school who I could take down with relative ease with single legs (but sooner or later he would kill me on the ground).

So would you gain useful skills? Yes.

Also, did you ever consider possibly working out with the wrestling team without competing? That way, it wouldn't seem so mentally/emotionally frustrating in terms of where your competitive loyalty would stand (ie, competing in the wrestling tourney or the BJJ tourney).

I have to agree with most guys here about the regret. I stopped wrestling half way through my senior year to earn big $$ at a nearby golf club. I was league runner up the year before and could have really gone deep in the wrestling post-season.

Just remember that wrestling season is only 3 months out of your long, young life. I can imagine you going through the season-learning crazy takedown, top-man skills-and then coming back and terrorizing your BJJ buddies.

Good luck with whatever you do, dude.

I only read the first page of this thread...sorry if I reiterate other's thoughts.

I do BJJ now and I can say that without a doubt, my BJJ is MUCH stronger because of my wrestling background. Takedowns are such an important part of MMA and nothing can compete with wrestling when it comes to learning them. People at my school are extremely weak at takedowns compared to me and I have a limited background in wrestling.

hayliks said:
you should wrestle, you'll never have another opportunity to learn to wrestle at this level ever again. wrestling will teach you a mental toughness no other sport teaches you, and that is something much more valuable than you missing 3 months of bjj.

This says it all. I'm Judo/BJJ guy and I say quit both and do HS wrestling while you have the chance. You will never have this chance again and it will give you a mental toughness and work ethic you can take back to BJJ/Judo, as well as use the rest of you life. And that might have a positive effect on your grades as well.

I know you came in looking for a pat on the head for the BJJ/Judo plan, but if you don't take advantage of HS wrestling, you are making serious mistake on several levels. Some of which you probably aren't taking into account right now. So consider yourself lucky that you posted, got sound advice and changed your mind on wrestling. Go take advantage of this opportunity now because despite what you think, you will never have this oppourtunity again no matter how many "adult wrestling clubs" that you attend.

Im just askin if this is a good idea, (it certainly is the best I can do right now).

ok. Did you talk to your coach yet? If not. WHY NOT. He knows what's best for your bjj development than us forumers or you. So the FIRST thing you should do is listen to your coach. Second, if you wrestle you still have weekends and prob still could train sometimes during the week so you are "Not haning up your gi".

You dont need to have an all or nothing attitude about it. Couldnt you just wrestle with some of the guys on the wrestling team a couple times a week, in thier off season? I mean training doesnt have to be a class, informal can be just as beneficial as going to a school. If BJJ is really your main focus, just ask some of the Judo and wrestling guys if they would like to roll like once a week. This way they pick up a little of what your good at and you pick up a little of what they are good at. That way your BJJ and grades wont suffer either.

dude if in 5 years you have been doing bjj and judo in that time your not gona have a problem with wrestling, guys on my school team that did judo of jj before are having an easy time transitioning, you just have to get use to the different positioning and game play, as well learning to shoot and sprawl but youll do great. good luck

Back