Grappling Problem...READ PLZ!!!

I like the option of taking a bjj "sabbatical" for a couple of months a year to do HS wrestling for a couple of years.

There are plenty of reasons: (1) it will be harder to do regular wrestling training after you leave high school, (2) wrestling season is only a few months out of the year--the rest of the time can be spent doing judo/bjj, (3) there are a lot of skills that wrestling training will help develop that will only benefit your overall grappling game ...

I don't think you'll regret spending some time wrestling for high school. BJJ and judo aren't going anywhere. They'll be waiting for you at the end of every wrestling season for a couple of years. And after that, if you don't want to, you don't ever have to wear wrestling shoes again!

Honestly I would do as much wreslting as I could do to the it is free and You will have a very intense time. Taking the wrestling season off would be good too.

First and front most is your grades man. You really should work on those before improving your game. I would say get A's and B's and do all 3! Plus do Freestyle and Greco in the Spring.

I say wrestle, one of my biggest regrets is not wrestlin in highschool (then again i didn't know jack about grappling back then). Wrestling is only for a couple of months and you can always roll bjj when you are free (i.e weekends) so there is nothing wrong with wrestling. One more thing about wrestling... you will be competing in wresting and competing alot. That can't said the same about judo.

Why not just talk to your dad and make a deal with him. Do BJJ and wrestling, and if your grades start to slip then you will quit one till your grades go back up. Parents love it when you do stuff like this because you are just setting up a punishment for your self if you f up.

I wrestled in High School all 4 years. I did not get into Gracie JJ until my 30s. To be honest, my biggest regret in life to this point is that I did not start BJJ while a teenager.

My advice is to stick with Gracie JJ. Also try to attend as many No-Gi classes as you can.

From a practical point of view this is a no brainer. In a streetfight pinning an attacker will get you nothing but breaking his arm or putting him to sleep may save your life.

Keep em coming guys, im still debating on what to do..

even after 5 years of BJJ/Judo, you will not be able to develope high level wrestling take downs in one year. you can learn alot of them, and maybe get really good at a few of em, but learning how to set them up and make them work is the hard part and won't happen in a year no matter how good you are at gi grappling. you're 16, for f#$%'s sake wrestle. if you had any idea how many guys there were out there that started BJJ after high school and wish all the time that they had wrestled when they had the chance, you wouldn't think twice about it. wrestle, if you hate it, quit. if you don't have the heart for it, you'll learn quite a bit about whether or not you have what it takes to be an elite level grappler.

From a practical point of view this is a no brainer. In a streetfight pinning an attacker will get you nothing but breaking his arm or putting him to sleep may save your life.

hmm.. i sorta thought that pounding the crap out of a guy while you mount him "may" save your life also...

blanko said:
hmm.. i sorta thought that pounding the crap out of a guy while you mount him "may" save your life also...
That requires way more than wrestling.

you're stubborn and stupid

there is virtually NO SUCH THING as an adult wrestling club

El Tiburon said:
That requires way more than wrestling.

Any skill needed to keep base will be provided by his wresting training. You do know what BJJ guys used to do i the early days right?(not against trained opponents but your average guy) Takedown and pound ala bj penn.

ok to answer your question of whether you'd pick up wrestling faster if you train bjj and judo for 5 years first ... yes offcourse you will pick up another form of grappling faster if you have grappled before just like wrestlers generally adapt to bjj faster then people who have never grappled before

how much faster will you pick it up its really hard to say and to be honest you will probably never reach the same level of wrestling as someone who has wrestled all through hs (keep in mind hs wrestling is 6 days/week 3 hours/day you can't replace that) ... if your goal is competing at a high bjj level though you can do without a lot of the wrestling stuff if you learn the takedowns from wrestling thats pretty much all you need as your bjj will replace their ground control enough for you to be successful

it seems to me that you already have your mind set up in staying with bjj and taking judo and not wrestling for your HS. and i also agree with what alot of people said in that ive not heard of any adult wrestling schools. if you are serious abot staying with bjj and taking judo but are still interested in wrestling your next best bet besides joining the team is make friends with the team roll with them when you can show them bjj theyll show you wrestling. one of my biggest regrets was not getting on my highschools wreslting team but i guess i wasent really into the school spirit thing back then. but i have cousins that still go so i go to there practices and roll with them when i can. GL in any choice you make your only 16 you have many good years ahead of you as long as you keep your head in the right place...

i hurt my back while i was in high school and it put me out of the opportunity to do wrestling. i wish i was able to do wrestling because wrestling gives you the benefits that the other posters above have listed... but it's your call. if i had the chance to go back in time, i'd definitely had tried harder to get on the wrestling team.

I agree 100% with Hayliks. It will be pretty difficult to find an adult wrestling club. In addition, even if you do, they'll probably want people with experience. Wrestle your way through high school. I think the 3-4 months of wrestling along with the conditioning will probably help your overall BJJ game more then if you took the BJJ/Judo for those 3 months. When I was in HS, I wrestled for one year. I sucked ASS. I lost EVERY match except for one. (the other school didnt have an opponent, so they forfeited). I sucked because I didn't dedicate myself to it. I was leaving wrestling practice early so I could go to TKD class (please no TMA jokes). I've always regretted not wrestling more in HS, and not dedicating myself to it. And that regret has nothing to do with BJJ. You only get one chance to compete in HS athletics. Don't let it pass you buy. Plus, if you excel at it, you might get into college on a scholarship. And Collegiate wrestling will REALLY excelorate your BJJ/MMA game. Look at guys like Mark Coleman, Randy Coture, Mark Kerr, and Tito Ortiz??

Go with wrestling and do Judo BJJ later, the takedowns, positional escapes, positional control skills, functional strength, reaction speed and aggression in wrestling will make it much easier for you to be comfortable when you get round to studying the other two. If you want get grappling books, DVDs that you can study in your own time and spar with friends to supplement your training.

Fuck I wish my HS had wrestling. Would've been in that in a sec.

hayliks said:
you're stubborn and stupid

there is virtually NO SUCH THING as an adult wrestling club

Umm, hayliks, my high school HAS an adult wrestling club, its happens to be at night after H.S wrestling practice. PLUS, I have some friends that go in there and train during H.S. practice who are not on the team at all..they do it to help their BJJ/Grappling...Thank you very much

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back