Grappling "on the street"

Yeah, but if the guy has a gun, you're better off grappling.

NJCarder said:
Anyone thats been in a bar knows what the best thing is...make yourself look like you know a hell of a lot more then you do...think up the wildest takedown you can think of...or do what i do...im a bouncer and if i know there are a lot of guys that are lookin to jump me then i'll go down into a funky kung fu stance (usually one that i make up on the spot) do a little Tai Chi and then when the guy comes at me take him down fast rear back to throw a punch then get up and wait...if he's stupid enough to try again do the same thing...your down and up in maybe 4 to 5 seconds and you look like your Steven Seagal...as a bouncer working with other bouncers i can promise you that if you were to ever even consider pulling an arm bar...or a triangle or anything your in for some trouble...i work with a guy that got the job cause he showed off what he learned in a grappling tape...and he put a dude in a sloppy triangle...and the dude lifted him up and swung him into the side of the bar...lets just say the only bouncing that dude was doing was getting his head bounced off the bar...especially as a bouncer but pretty much just in any situation the guy that looks like he knows what he's doing is the guy that no one is gonna mess with...

None of that would work in my club working for me. I have 17 guys on my security staff and all of them do it the way I tought them. The real truth is that most people, unless they are hot heads, do not want to fight. They want to posture to making them selves look tough. Looking tough only works when the other guy is not alos a posture type guy too. True brawlwers will just start hitting and never stop until they have 3 guys pulling him off the other.

i hate rolling to places with people who give off bad energy. i like to fight my own fights and in turn expect people to fight there own fight. diff scenario diff thing. for instance, if my buddy is dissed and they both started going at it if my buddy starts losing i jump in. if my buddy was disrespecting someone and they start going at it i'll jump in if my buddy starts losing but just to pull the other guy off or away and get us out the situation. if the other guys friends start jumping in when it's a fair one then of course i jump in and so on. so diff scenarios call for diff reactions. everything in life is about flowing with the go. be like water and adjust

GracieStudent said:
everything in life is about flowing with the go. be like water and adjust

or be like a steam roller and adjust others *shrugs*

I was with my friends and we were leaving a concert, and some guy started talking shit to me. (I was staring at his hot girlfriend, quite a bit, and he caught me.) He walked up to me and started pushing me, I grabbed him by his jacket (it's a good thing he had one), and I got a pretty nasty harai goshi. So I threw him on the parking lot asphalt, his girlfriend was hot though.

i was at a club in nyc. someone kept fucking with me. i didn't know him. 3x he yelled on me and i ignored it, respectfully. as i walked away i heard him yell for the 4x at me, loud, fully calling me on. i had enuff and felt disrespected big-time. turned around asked him who the fuck is he talking 2 and shoved him at the same time. he reacted by grabbing my 2 shoulders, i got inside of his grips, realizing i had a VERY long staircase behind me i had to make a decision. him or me? it was him- i whipped him 180 around me, and total hollywood style he's rolling down the stairs. then his friend that was with him jumps on my back, i manage to get him off some how and make my way down the stairs to the bottom. notice what a spectacle this has become and it seems like the whole club starts caving in on me. i notice some security coming towards me and kinda think, phew good thing cuz my boys done left about a half hour ago. when i get to the bottom i come to the realization evrybody wants to see a fight-- including the doormen. so i'm trapped at the bottom and have this guy who i just threw down the stairs screeming at me..'FUCKIN LET'S GO OUTSIDE'!!!- and all this other shit i'm thinkin hello? bouncers? hello? guess they wanna see some action (don't blame em). so he comes flying at be with his fist jacked back so far i think i had a nap b4 we made contact- and i step into him and block with the left deliver 3 blows with the right to his head and throw him against the wall, jump behind a bouncer and told him get me the fuck in a taxi. what is this? i didn't have a scratch got home safe, taught another asshole a lesson felt fine about it.

that's just one of the many conflicts in my twenty some odd years of life

GracieStudent -- Yes "some odd years of life" is probably a correct description. Does trouble tend to follow you, son?

Brad said:
LOL sort of like this guy (stolen from another thread)

monkey_steals_peach.jpg

lol

GracieStudent said:
i hate rolling to places with people who give off bad energy. i like to fight my own fights and in turn expect people to fight there own fight. diff scenario diff thing. for instance, if my buddy is dissed and they both started going at it if my buddy starts losing i jump in. if my buddy was disrespecting someone and they start going at it i'll jump in if my buddy starts losing but just to pull the other guy off or away and get us out the situation. if the other guys friends start jumping in when it's a fair one then of course i jump in and so on. so diff scenarios call for diff reactions. everything in life is about flowing with the go. be like water and adjust
You'd help your buddy in either scenario? Yet, you claim you fight your own fights, and you expect others to do the same.

How about... stop being a fucking hypocrite and follow your own philosophy?

- guess u pussies never been in a squab. that was the light version of the story.. commissar what the hell are you talking about??? if my buddy is getting pounded beyond, like if he's out and someone's ragdollin him or something YES mf'r i'm jumpin in! at least to pull him out the situation!

anyone else WITH THEIR OWN STORIES

I had an experience awhile back.

It was after judo class and I was preparing to make my long trip back home (1.5 hour drive.) I stopped to get gas before being alerted by a group of 5 people. Four of them were guys around 20 through 28 years old. The other was a younger looking girl. All of them looked intoxicated. They were pumping gas in their large expedition nearby.

I pumped my gas like normal, still wearing my gi like a dork of course. I walked inside and paid for myself, then walked out to my car. All of the guys were yelling around, the biggest of them looking for money. He ran around the car, yelling "Nickel! Who's got a nickel! All I want is a F*^$ drink!" There was no one else at the gas station and his friends refused to lend him money. Eventually, he came to my car as I was putting my gas cap on.
His breath smelled like jack daniels and bud light. He tripped a little bit on the curb before reaching me, which made him look embarassed, then pissed off. In his drunken voice, he asked " Hey punk.... You got some change for me?"

I smiled and said sure. I gave him a dollar and told him to have a good night. He looked surprised, then shook my hand and told me to have a good one.

Moral of the story? Treat everyone kindly, especially people who seem intoxicated. What would have happened if I was a tough guy? My car would have been vandalized, I could have been seriously hurt or robbed. An ounce of kindness goes a long way. There is no glory in bloody street fights.

True story.

uh, cool bud. i think we all have stories like that. we're talking about the times we're forced to throw down- no disrespect

monkey roll said:
if other people are going to jump in, they're going to jump in, on the feet and no the ground.

Thanks that what i tell everyone but no one listens

Brad said:
LOL sort of like this guy (stolen from another thread)

monkey_steals_peach.jpg

That's awesome. I'm quitting my BJJ training as of today. All you need is Monkey Steals Peach.

MSP forever!

My .02

Yeah, best option fr grappling in a crowded bar is going to be... don't grapple. You're absolutely right, people are going to jump in regardless. The difference being that with your head at floor level, it's a lot easier for them to kick it clean off your neck. Anyone who thinks they stand the same chance on the floor as they do standing if someones friends decide to jump in, is fooling themselves and asking for a beating.

Back