Grappling "on the street"

Soulfly said:
But that's in the situation that A. You have enough room,

Never seen it where there's not enough room. You just need something to base your shoulders on for the arch. You can also go belly down. Unless you're in a phone booth, you should have enough room.

B. You are perfectly focused (to not mess anything up or stall for any more time),

If you're not focussed you're pretty much screwed if things go wrong no matter what.

C.You are landing on a flat, solid surface.

What does this have to do with anything?

It's too risky a manuver to just go into an armbar. It's easier to GNP and then get up for the next attacker, then to go from your back, to standing while defending blows.

GnP is much higher risk. Might be easier to do, but it's also what everybody around you recognizes and presents your back to the people around you. As for the armbar, I can snap/hyperextend the arm and be back standing before it registers on most people that I even took the guy down, especially if I don't need to hit him to get hold of the arm after takedown.

Gothic_Coop said:
I work as a Security Manager for one of the largest nightclubs in Seattle. I have a few words of advice.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

1. Never try to stop something in a club. Tell Security and let them deal with it.<o:p></o:p>

2. Never go to the ground in a club. You will get stomped.<o:p></o:p>

3. Never be engaged when Security shows up. You will be going out the doors even if you are the "good guy".<o:p></o:p>

4. If you have a hold on some one you will be the first person Security will go after.

5. Never fingerbang a chic in the club. You never know what you will catch from her.

I am not saying that I know it all. I see new shit every day. I am just saying from what I have seen.

Finally, someone who fucking knows what a real fucking fight looks like.

This is going to be the statement that ends all discussion of street fighting and grappling ... trust me ... grappling WORKS in the "street".

Thank you.

triso said:
This is going to be the statement that ends all discussion of street fighting and grappling ... trust me ... grappling WORKS in the "street".

Thank you.

x2. I have had to use it to DEFEND myself against ATTACKERS (not starting shit or anything) on 2 occasions and it saved my ass. Anyone who states the contrary is clueless.

TheHighlander said:
Never seen it where there's not enough room. You just need something to base your shoulders on for the arch. You can also go belly down. Unless you're in a phone booth, you should have enough room.

There are plenty of times when you're too crowded to lie down perpendicular to someone else. Clubs? Bars? When you're mugged between cars?

If you're not focussed you're pretty much screwed if things go wrong no matter what.
I was talking about getting all the moves off immedietly. It's easier to get to knee on belly and punch someone than it is to get a straight armbar, land and crank it correctly.

What does this have to do with anything?

When you GnP, you are on the person. If there is broken glass, rough pavement or a curb nearby, I don't want my back to smack down on it when I transition to armbar - or rub my face in it if I do it belly down.

GnP is much higher risk. Might be easier to do, but it's also what everybody around you recognizes and presents your back to the people around you. As for the armbar, I can snap/hyperextend the arm and be back standing before it registers on most people that I even took the guy down, especially if I don't need to hit him to get hold of the arm after takedown.

I think everyone will know whats happening when you TACKLE the person with a double leg or a similar takedown. People might be confused when you throw the armbar on someone, but that won't stop them from stomping you if they get the chance.

I don't know. Personally, I think it's silly to really think about putting an armbar on someone in a night club.

gusano said:
I don't go to the club with hot headed friends and then try to play peacemaker when one of them is caught fingerbangin another dudes bitch.

When i publish my book, this sentence will make its way into the Introduction, thank you Gusano, this is to the point.
i used to be the peacemaker/referee at clubs with my friends but that shit got old quick.fuck em they are grown ass men if they wanna fight , fight. as long as no one jumps im fine.

Brad said:
So.. You're at the bar.. You're probably lit, dancing with some girl who's much hotter after 6 redbull and vodkas than she was when you walked into the bar. Your friends are drunk, and it turns out your best friend, rico suave, is fingerbanging some dude's girlfriend in the back of the club. boyfriend finds out, things come to a head. Drinks are thrown, slurred insults tossed, and the first swing flies.

What have you found works well on the street for you? Another thread got me thinking about this so I was going to get some input back. I'm in college, and no stranger to the club scene, not to mention a few of my friends are real hotheads, and I'm the peacemaker of the bunch, so I find myself in the middle of alot of squabbles and i've ended up being the scapegoat a few times by some jackass who just wants to try and take a swing at somebody.

That being said, 95% of my fights go something like this. Guy throws a haymaker right (why do they ALWAYS throw a looping right? Always, it's like clockwork). I'll change levels and shoot in, the guy is off balance and practically taking himself down at this point. Finish the takedown, knee to stomach mount and one or two good shots usually is enough to make them not want to play anymore. My reasoning behind this is because it's quick and I'm not ever really tied up. I'm always afraid that if I slap on an armbar one of his friends is going to come along and kick me in the head or stomp my face while I'm sinking it. Also, giving someone a black eye is alot different legally than snapping someone's arm in half. Well, maybe it's not if you break their nose, jaw, or face, but I guess I've been lucky so far.

So what works for you guys?

This is the most immature post I've read on Sherdog in a while. And that means something if it's on Sherdog.

Brad, you joined Sherdog this month, and all of sudden, you're some kind of hero streetfighter that takes care of your friends?

If you really cared about your friends, you would not let them get into a fight in the first place. You're post just shows your ignorance and immaturity about what real fighting is.

You should just throw bows standing up. If i use jiu jitsu its only going to be for a sweep and then to mount or side mount. I dont want to use moves to break arms and tear shoulders cause that could have more implications then GnP. Plus, its a fight. You do an armbar no one will know what just happened.

Street fighting is stupid...I went to the scene of an awesome street fight about a year ago. Well, it wasn't awesome for the guy whose head the evidence techs were picking up with a sponge since he got shot with a .40...

Agh..this brings back memories of when I was more immature (some of my arrests were actually posted on here by my friends). Take it from me, I've faced a total of almost 40 years in prison for fights. One time a guy was in a coma for 6 months. The winner of a street fight goes to jail. if you have hothead friends, don't go out with them. This will take on a whole new meaning when you're locked up and facing felony charges. If you train, hang with your buddies who also train, they'll be more secure with their ego's (wont have anything to prove to themselves) and most likely will be much more mellow.

Soulfly said:
There are plenty of times when you're too crowded to lie down perpendicular to someone else. Clubs? Bars? When you're mugged between cars?

You don't have to lie down to do an armbar. Having something to base your shoulders on makes it a lot easier, but it doesn't have to be the floor. Besides, there are other subs that can be quickly applied if you can't manage it in one direction.

I was talking about getting all the moves off immedietly. It's easier to get to knee on belly and punch someone than it is to get a straight armbar, land and crank it correctly.

Armbars are easy on the untrained. Heck of a lot easier than landing good, clean power shots (bare knuckle) to the face. If they aren't, you need to train more. But, if all you care about is looking like you're hurting him then have it your way.

When you GnP, you are on the person. If there is broken glass, rough pavement or a curb nearby, I don't want my back to smack down on it when I transition to armbar - or rub my face in it if I do it belly down.

Right, the "lava" argument. Didn't take long for that one to show up.

I think everyone will know whats happening when you TACKLE the person with a double leg or a similar takedown. People might be confused when you throw the armbar on someone, but that won't stop them from stomping you if they get the chance.

Think about it. Unless there's a lot of build-up, many of the surrounding people aren't aware there's a fight about to start. First response to two bodies flying through the air is to get out of the way. Then there's time to figure out which person is where. Where are these stompers standing? Moving around to get in range takes time. Landing a strike on a moving target is not trivial, especially with a "friend" in close proximity.

I don't know. Personally, I think it's silly to really think about putting an armbar on someone in a night club.

Honestly, it's silly to get in a fight in a night club. My opinion is that many techniques (standing or grappling) can be used provided that they don't require you to be (relatively) stationary for too long. Close range techniques being better than long range in tight quarters and over extended durations (i.e. more than a second or two).

The only people that don't know, or question if Grappling works on the street, are people that don't train grappling. Period.

TheHighlander said:
Honestly, it's silly to get in a fight in a night club. My opinion is that many techniques (standing or grappling) can be used provided that they don't require you to be (relatively) stationary for too long. Close range techniques being better than long range in tight quarters and over extended durations (i.e. more than a second or two).

I guess it's up to personal preference and the person performing the technique then.

ive been in 3 street fights not counting the time i was sucker punched, two times i landed a gullitoine choke and another i shot in for a single leg and put him through the pavement and it was broken up. i dont care what you say bjj works in the street

i found out what DOESNT work in the street, kinda on accident.

new guy in gi class, got him in a basic collar choke. next thing i know im rollin around cussing cause i thought my thumb was broke. i was like you cant do that!. dude was like... uh that seemed kinda natural, you stuck your hand in there and left your thumb out, and I had to do something, so i just bent the shit out of it until you let go. and it didnt take long.....

after i figured out it wasnt broke, it kinda made sense. small joint manipulation is banned for a very good reason, but dont think someone wouldnt do it to you in a heartbeat. that and fighting a mma match made me realize theres alot of stuff to bjj thats relevant only on the training mat, despite their claims.

Most things I have found in BJJ is for the sport now compared to the street fight it use to be. Most people train for compsittions and not the street.

I will say it again. Never fight in a bar. You will always loose in the end.

Holy shit how many times do we need to go over this. If there are multiple attackers involved, whether you are on the ground or standing, you are going to get hit. If you are standing and punching someone in the face, his friend is going to hit your from behind or from the side. This applies to the club scene as well.

Oh, did you watch the video I posted of the karate guy trying to strike during the very basic taken down the Jiu Jitsu guy applied (but we all jump guard in the street, and our feeble takedowns won't work even against the untrained), then trying to eye gouge and do all sorts of stupid cheap shit (if you eye gouge, pinch, bite, or twist my thumb, I

Back