Grappling "on the street"

Brad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So.. You're at the bar.. You're probably lit, dancing with some girl who's much hotter after 6 redbull and vodkas than she was when you walked into the bar. Your friends are drunk, and it turns out your best friend, rico suave, is fingerbanging some dude's girlfriend in the back of the club. boyfriend finds out, things come to a head. Drinks are thrown, slurred insults tossed, and the first swing flies.

What have you found works well on the street for you? Another thread got me thinking about this so I was going to get some input back. I'm in college, and no stranger to the club scene, not to mention a few of my friends are real hotheads, and I'm the peacemaker of the bunch, so I find myself in the middle of alot of squabbles and i've ended up being the scapegoat a few times by some jackass who just wants to try and take a swing at somebody.

I don't go to the club with hot headed friends and then try to play peacemaker when one of them is caught fingerbangin another dudes bitch.

I find knees and elbows to the face to be suprisingly effective.

Actually, I've generally found calming people down / getting out of a bad situation > Mass Brawls

i let my friend fight his own fight only step in once the dude or my friend has loss or won; i don't want anyone to really get hurt, but i want them to get the point of u talk shit or start shit u have to deal w/it.

Only been in one fight in college. Tried to tackle me and ended up in a guillotine. I let go when he said "chill dude, just chill. Im just messin...". He definitely wasnt just messin, but he wasnt to keen on getting choked out in front of his buds either, so he tried to downplay it. To me whats most effective depends on the situation. If theres a group then knee in belly is a great option as you said. If its one on one then my best friend is the Triangle choke(im 5'8"). And no......if you do the triangle right they cannot bite your nuts, nor can they rip or squeeze them. It also works as fast as the rear naked choke if you sink it tight. Count to 10, they will be out by 6 or 8.

Cojofl said:
I find knees and elbows to the face to be suprisingly effective.

Actually, I've generally found calming people down / getting out of a bad situation > Mass Brawls

I agree with this. I guess the initial illustration was bad. I'm not trying to paint a picture of me or my friends that makes it look like we just go out intially "looking for trouble" or pick on guys who don't know anything, but occassionally it's unavoidable, and I'm not all about letting my friend get his face pounded. I do have some hot-headed friends, but they've been my friends since I was a kid, and that's just who they are sometimes. Do I like it? No. Does everybody have their faults? Yeah. Am I going to stop being friends with them because every now and then I get in a scuffle with a drunken fratboy on their behalf? No way.

This isn't an every weekend kinda thing. In the last year, averaging hitting the clubs/bars nearly every weekend, sometimes twice a weekend with the same "group" of people I think we only got into 3 fights. It just happens sometimes.

Back to the question at hand, what do you guys find works in a "practical, real life self defense situation"

Brad said:
I'm always afraid that if I slap on an armbar one of his friends is going to come along and kick me in the head or stomp my face while I'm sinking it. Also, giving someone a black eye is alot different legally than snapping someone's arm in half.

So what works for you guys?

When you are in the knee on belly position and punching the dude what makes you think his friends wont kick or stomp your head? Deliberately taking a fight to the floor in a club/bar is asking for a kicking from his mates/random punters. Stay on your feet as long as you can, if taken down get back up ASAP, fuck subs this aint Abu Dabhi.

Hit first, hit hard when you know you are about to be attacked then get the fuck out of there.

Hanging with 'hotheads' and clubs where other 'hotheads' hang about is'nt a wise idea either.

Jaxx said:
When you are in the knee on belly position and punching the dude what makes you think his friends wont kick or stomp your head? Deliberately taking a fight to the floor in a club/bar is asking for a kicking from his mates/random punters. Stay on your feet as long as you can, if taken down get back up ASAP, fuck subs this aint Abu Dabhi.

Hit first, hit hard when you know you are about to be attacked then get the fuck out of there.

Hanging with 'hotheads' and clubs where other 'hotheads' hang about is'nt a wise idea either.

I can bail from knee on belly mount and get up alot faster than I can in a sunk armbar or rear naked choke with hooks in. And I'm tall, and fairly athletic, so I'm not tackling him, passing guard, and then working for the mount. I usually come down in knee-on-belly, take a few shots, and get back up. The whole process takes 10-15 seconds tops. The reason is because 99.999999% of people don't have any idea what to do once you get them down on their backs, whereas anybody can get in a lucky punch on their feet. It's worked out good for me so far, and i've never been kicked in the head, so I'm doing something right.

We already covered the hothead thing. When you go to a party school, you party, these kinds of things just happen. I don't know of anyone who's even the slightest bit sociable at my college who hasn't been involved in some sort of altercation. It's not like I'm a hell's angel going around and looking for someone to shivv on a saturday night.

Brad said:
I can bail from knee on belly mount and get up alot faster than I can in a sunk armbar or rear naked choke with hooks in. And I'm tall, and fairly athletic, so I'm not tackling him, passing guard, and then working for the mount. I usually come down in knee-on-belly, take a few shots, and get back up. The whole process takes 10-15 seconds tops. The reason is because 99.999999% of people don't have any idea what to do once you get them down on their backs, whereas anybody can get in a lucky punch on their feet. It's worked out good for me so far, and i've never been kicked in the head, so I'm doing something right.

We already covered the hothead thing. When you go to a party school, you party, these kinds of things just happen. I don't know of anyone who's even the slightest bit sociable at my college who hasn't been involved in some sort of altercation. It's not like I'm a hell's angel going around and looking for someone to shivv on a saturday night.

Cool, i saw you covered the hothead thing.

Still feel that you have been really lucky to get away with the knee-on-belly position. 10-15 seconds is FAR too long to spend on the ground, how many 'soccer' kicks can you do in that time?

I understand that most people dont have any ground game at all but you will eventually take some guy down and get attacked from his mates, usually kicks maybe glass bottles in a bar. I dont care how athletic you are but give me one 'soccer' kick to your head and it is lights out, why take the risk?

your best bet if peacemaking fails is prob to just take them down, mount or knee on belly and through a few shots on the ground most people will give up after that ... i wouldn't go for subs in a crowded place unless i was on my back and couldn't get up then maybe a guilotine or somethin an armbar or anything fancy will likely get your face stomped in by their friends in this situation or if the guy gets desperate they'll bite the shit out of ur leg the simpler/faster the better i think just don't go trying to pull any sakuraba shit

alexgncw said:
your best bet if peacemaking fails is prob to just take them down, mount or knee on belly and through a few shots on the ground most people will give up after that ... i wouldn't go for subs in a crowded place unless i was on my back and couldn't get up then maybe a guilotine or somethin an armbar or anything fancy will likely get your face stomped in by their friends in this situation or if the guy gets desperate they'll bite the shit out of ur leg the simpler/faster the better i think just don't go trying to pull any sakuraba shit

Going to ground in a one on one = good idea

Going to ground in a crowded bar/club = bad idea

gusano said:
I don't go to the club with hot headed friends and then try to play peacemaker when one of them is caught fingerbangin another dudes bitch.

LOL, I agree.

Furthermore, LOL @ the original poster that claims to be the "peacemaker" but has an allegedly long history of masterfully dominating fighters in the street.

johil d'o said:
LOL, I agree.

Furthermore, LOL @ the original poster that claims to be the "peacemaker" but has an allegedly long history of masterfully dominating fighters in the street.

Yep, I'm just like vin diesel from knockaround guys. I walk around at the local college bars going "500...." then peeling my shirt off, smashing everyone's face in the bar, stealing every bottle off the top shelf, then calling it a night after some cheap hookers and blow on the way home. That's me.. to a T.. :(

assuming it's a one-on-one fight, and you're fairly skilled on the ground with bjj/wrestling, which would you prefer, standing or taking them down? i mean, nearly anyone angry enough has a puncher's chance, so it would make sense to take them to the ground where they most likely haven't a clue what to do.. but then, what about when you add the whole dynamic of being able to punch/kick/bite/elbow/knee (etc) in real life on the ground (unlike in a bjj tourney).

would you (personal response) still prefer to try and submit a guy and deal with what he lashes out on the ground, or try and end it standing up?

take em down and choke em. Its like fighting in the water with someone who cant swim.

Fake a left jab, then kick him in the balls, and run out of the club/bar like a bitch! You'll get out of the problem quick, trust me.. :)

GuardGame said:
Fake a left jab, then kick him in the balls, and run out of the club/bar like a bitch! You'll get out of the problem quick, trust me.. :)

LOL sort of like this guy (stolen from another thread)

monkey_steals_peach.jpg

I would always stick to the breaking a beer bottle and sing the sharp edges to cut their throat.

Jaxx said:
Going to ground in a one on one = good idea

Going to ground in a crowded bar/club = bad idea

if other people are going to jump in, they're going to jump in, on the feet and no the ground.

Back