Grappling "on the street"

:D I have invented the Turtle. It's like a bulletproof vest but only for your back. WHile wearing the turtle, I grab the guy's arm and pull guard. Then I work my guard submissions.

Give them a broke nose, then throw them into the ground. You know, throw a few punches, clinch and knee, then throw them to the ground (osotogari, kata guruma, etc).

Best stratagy I've found.

haha, man that was one of the best intro's to a thread i've ever read. You and English major?

Brad said:
We already covered the hothead thing. When you go to a party school, you party, these kinds of things just happen. I don't know of anyone who's even the slightest bit sociable at my college who hasn't been involved in some sort of altercation. It's not like I'm a hell's angel going around and looking for someone to shivv on a saturday night.

wow, i've got to wonder what great minds are attending your fine institution of learning if you don't know anyone from your school who does not get in a ruckus when they are social. situations are avoidable, it all depends on how far you are willing to go to make them so (by that i mean the standard "i wasn't gonna be punked out so i punched the fucker when he mad dogged me. i had no choice i ain't no sissy.".). conversely there is always a way to find someone to trade blows with. ask yourself how far do you really go to avoid conflict and how much are you really trying to be peacemaker. not the guy up front who gets to throw the first blow when you decide that "diplomacy" has failed.

Step 1: Get new friends.

Step 2: Stop fighting in the street, it's gay.

Step 3: Learn to walk away, not much that happens in a club is worth the risk of death.

Step 4: If you must fight, at least make sure you're the one doing the fingerbanging.

If it's one on one, i'd take him down and play around with him. Though that depends on how I feel. If I'm angry I might just wanna finish it fast. And I'd do that standing up. If there are several of em, standing up is obviously the best and only way to go. Not only because if you're on the ground they might kick you bla bla bla. But because you'll finish them off 10 times faster standing up. And that's what you need to do if you fight several people at once.

Say there are four or five of them. The first guy is a goner right away. Simple light flick with the jab sort of to distract him and instantly your right hook hits him on the chin. The first guy is the easiest. Most of the time, the rest of them wouldn't want to fight you after that. But if it happens anyway, they won't go at you all at the same time. Doesn't work that way. So when the next guy comes, punch him in the face, or kick him in the balls. Whatever you can to get him out of the fight. Wether temporarily or permanent doesn't really matter at that moment, because there are more guys to deal with. Depending on how the guys react to that (do they want to fight? are the aggressive/passive? steroid "i-wanna-die" type people?) you either stay passive and see what happens. See what they say. If you can you should leave.

If you're not confident you'll knock em both out, run away. Because if they get you and you've just manhandled two of them, they might go as far as to kill you if you're unlucky.

But EVERYTHING depends on the situation. How many they are. What KINDS of people they are. There is so much to take into consideration. There isn't really a book you can read that tells you, "this is what you do when you get into a street fight". Because 99% of the situations are unlike any previous situations you've been in. So you kinda have to "take it as it comes".

The last time I got into a "scuffle" was at a party. I went by to say hi to a couple of friends I hadn't seen in a long time. I got like two beers in me before one of them wanted to "fight" me. He knew I was a fighter and well... for some reason people always want to test you/themselves). Especially when they've been drinking.

So we were outside. On the lawn and not on pavement. I got into the clinch right away. Took him down and ended up in his "open guard". I decided to be nice so I went for the achilles hold and cranked it as hard as I could. It hurts but it won't break his leg/arm or something like that. So I was being nice. He screamed and I put some more strength into it for like 2-3 seconds and then I let go, stood up and that was that. He limped back inside.

Then another guy back inside who heard about what happend wanted to try his luck. This guy was bigger than the first guy. I got into the clinch, and he gave alot of resistance so I went for the legs. I got him down and got the mount right away. I started slapping him in the face and he covered up. I grabbed one of his arms and went for the armbar and cranked it. Although not as hard as I could or anything. I didn' t really want to hurt him because I had my friends there and there were girls there watching and the party would've probably ended or something. But I cranked it hard enough for him to feel it and he started to moan and gave up.

The party continued and everyone was happy. End of story.

It is good to try and keep your back close to a wall so you don't have to worry about someone coming up from behind for the KO. From that point you can take them down and go knee to stomach if you would like if you are still close enough to the wall. If not use a soccer kick to the head or two and prepare for the next guy until you can gather your friends and get out of there.

Juast walk out.. nothing worse than spending half a night in the back of a cop car because your deusche bag friend wanted to show how tough he was. It always the guys who never train who are trying to start fights.

WHo cares man seriously.. if someone attacks me im ready to fight... but anything short of that, just walk away.

If you have to fight, don't take it to the ground if you don't have to, but if you do, knee on stomach is good. When there, don't forget to control his near arm and protect your nuts. A good thing to do if you get a good double leg and lift him up on your shoulder is to instead of slamming him down in side mount, just throw him over straight backwards, dropping him on the floor.

If you get into clinch range, something that often is a lot better than taking him down though is the Thai clinch. When he comes swinging, cover up and go in, get a rock solid grip around his neck with both hands, pull him in close to avoid strikes and start throwing knees. To the body usually does the trick, but go for his face if necessary. Also don't forget to pull his head down and drag and twist him around to keep him out of balance all the time. It's a great way to avoid his wild swings and works better than you might think, since people usually have a hard time defending it.

Jaxx said:
Cool, i saw you covered the hothead thing.

Still feel that you have been really lucky to get away with the knee-on-belly position. 10-15 seconds is FAR too long to spend on the ground, how many 'soccer' kicks can you do in that time?

I understand that most people dont have any ground game at all but you will eventually take some guy down and get attacked from his mates, usually kicks maybe glass bottles in a bar. I dont care how athletic you are but give me one 'soccer' kick to your head and it is lights out, why take the risk?

You are much more likely to get blindsided while standing than while moving on the ground. As for 10-15 seconds being too long on the ground...how long do you figure somebody going for an armbar is going to have their head in the same location? If the other guy doesn't grapple there's nothing to stop you from dropping back for the armbar within a couple of seconds of hitting the ground. In that time, most of the people around you will barely have registered that you guys are fighting.

In a sequence of say single leg takedown to knee on belly, two shots to the face, drop back for armbar your head is "still" only for the length of time to hit him in the face twice (if his arms were available I wouldn't even stop for that), unless he has some grappling skill, in which case all bets are off but you can bet there's nobody "outside" landing any strikes while we're in a scramble.

TheHighlander said:
In a sequence of say single leg takedown to knee on belly, two shots to the face, drop back for armbar your head is "still" only for the length of time to hit him in the face twice (if his arms were available I wouldn't even stop for that), unless he has some grappling skill, in which case all bets are off but you can bet there's nobody "outside" landing any strikes while we're in a scramble.

But that's in the situation that A. You have enough room, B. You are perfectly focused (to not mess anything up or stall for any more time), C.You are landing on a flat, solid surface.

It's too risky a manuver to just go into an armbar. It's easier to GNP and then get up for the next attacker, then to go from your back, to standing while defending blows.

The average person wants to end a fight in one punch shooting takes them to a world they have never seen before. Much like in the first UFC

I don't get some of you. You criticize this guy for occasionally getting in fights when he is clubbing. Going around and starting street fights isn't cool, but some fuckers really do need their asses whooped. The guys he is talking about are the same guys that get drunk, and start shit for no fucking reason, and beat the shit out of people that don't want to fight them. My only problem with the poster is that he stops after 2 or 3 punches instead of really beating the shit out of them, and making them look like little girls in front of their friends.

Hamit Aktas said:
If it's one on one, i'd take him down and play around with him. Though that depends on how I feel. If I'm angry I might just wanna finish it fast. And I'd do that standing up. If there are several of em, standing up is obviously the best and only way to go. Not only because if you're on the ground they might kick you bla bla bla. But because you'll finish them off 10 times faster standing up. And that's what you need to do if you fight several people at once.

Say there are four or five of them. The first guy is a goner right away. Simple light flick with the jab sort of to distract him and instantly your right hook hits him on the chin. The first guy is the easiest. Most of the time, the rest of them wouldn't want to fight you after that. But if it happens anyway, they won't go at you all at the same time. Doesn't work that way. So when the next guy comes, punch him in the face, or kick him in the balls. Whatever you can to get him out of the fight. Wether temporarily or permanent doesn't really matter at that moment, because there are more guys to deal with. Depending on how the guys react to that (do they want to fight? are the aggressive/passive? steroid "i-wanna-die" type people?) you either stay passive and see what happens. See what they say. If you can you should leave.

If you're not confident you'll knock em both out, run away. Because if they get you and you've just manhandled two of them, they might go as far as to kill you if you're unlucky.

But EVERYTHING depends on the situation. How many they are. What KINDS of people they are. There is so much to take into consideration. There isn't really a book you can read that tells you, "this is what you do when you get into a street fight". Because 99% of the situations are unlike any previous situations you've been in. So you kinda have to "take it as it comes".

The last time I got into a "scuffle" was at a party. I went by to say hi to a couple of friends I hadn't seen in a long time. I got like two beers in me before one of them wanted to "fight" me. He knew I was a fighter and well... for some reason people always want to test you/themselves). Especially when they've been drinking.

So we were outside. On the lawn and not on pavement. I got into the clinch right away. Took him down and ended up in his "open guard". I decided to be nice so I went for the achilles hold and cranked it as hard as I could. It hurts but it won't break his leg/arm or something like that. So I was being nice. He screamed and I put some more strength into it for like 2-3 seconds and then I let go, stood up and that was that. He limped back inside.

Then another guy back inside who heard about what happend wanted to try his luck. This guy was bigger than the first guy. I got into the clinch, and he gave alot of resistance so I went for the legs. I got him down and got the mount right away. I started slapping him in the face and he covered up. I grabbed one of his arms and went for the armbar and cranked it. Although not as hard as I could or anything. I didn' t really want to hurt him because I had my friends there and there were girls there watching and the party would've probably ended or something. But I cranked it hard enough for him to feel it and he started to moan and gave up.

The party continued and everyone was happy. End of story.

Who is this? Amateur fighter from Carlson Gracie.. one of Emirs guys?

why does everyone post these stupid fucking posts? this is a MMA based forum. not a "apply your mma moves to streetfighting" forum. go ahead and fight. its all cool until someone beats your head in or u get busted for assault

Brad said:
LOL sort of like this guy (stolen from another thread)

monkey_steals_peach.jpg
This is crazy. LOL I cant belive this i would love to see the rest of this book. Does anybody know what book it is from?

Throw open hand palm strikes, then use the Shaolin Tiger form takedown. When you are in his guard, focus your chi to open his guard. After this, proceed with a double mongolian chop. Follow with a flying cartwheel guard pass. Now that you are mounted, and in control, grab a shoulder lock and insult his mother.

I work as a Security Manager for one of the largest nightclubs in Seattle. I have a few words of advice.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

1. Never try to stop something in a club. Tell Security and let them deal with it.<o:p></o:p>

2. Never go to the ground in a club. You will get stomped.<o:p></o:p>

3. Never be engaged when Security shows up. You will be going out the doors even if you are the "good guy".<o:p></o:p>

4. If you have a hold on some one you will be the first person Security will go after.

5. Never fingerbang a chic in the club. You never know what you will catch from her.

I am not saying that I know it all. I see new shit every day. I am just saying from what I have seen.

If you cant avoid it, you cant avoid it. But I have seen most of it CAN be avoided. That being said you didnt start the thread for moral advice.
I like high impact takedowns when it is possible. I try to avoid going to the ground with them. If you have wrestling I am sure u have a couple nice trips or throws that will leave u standing and him down. Those are what I like to avoid the "punchers" chance.

Back