Grappling guys: how do you rate your striking skills?

tudor_bjj

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
How do you, grappling people, rate your striking skills (standing)?
I, for instance, have pretty fast hands (took like a month of boxing training and now for 2 months I have been doing MT). I suck at kicks. Esp. high kicks cause I'm not flexible at all. I'm know learning how to put a lot of power into my lowkicks my twisting my hips. I have good knee strikes. And overall I'm trying to improve my stance and movement.
If I rate my striking skills I'll go like this (from 1 to 10):
- hands: 7
- kicks: 4
- knees: 6
BTW, I'm a blue belt in BJJ.
Please reply with some details...

hands: 4 at best
kicks: 6 good power not very good technique
knees: 8 good knees/thai clinch work

straight poop. ive taken 3 mt classes but dont have the time right now to pursue it, although i will in the fall :D

Preschooler's Standup> My standup

I'm working on it, decent feet and clinch, but my hands are worthless

Still learning standup.

My submission wrestling is pretty good now, so I've started to focus more on muay thai to round out my game. I mean does anyone seriously just want to grapple? Being only a grappler is still as incomplete as a TKDer with no ground skills, yeah?

I only started grappling 3 years ago. Before that I did 5 years of boxing and 4 years of MT and competed a bit in both.

Hands 8
Kicks 7
Knees 5

Just another thought guys... This came up to me when me and two friends of mine had an argument last weekend with 4 guys. It didn't end with a fight (although it was pretty close), but I realized that if it ended with a fight I needed my striking skills.

Ya, you should get familiar with fighting on your feet.

I have an orange belt in TKD, so I know my basics here, but I got ripped apart by a MT fighter in '04 so since then I've re-evaluated what I know, I've learnt about the leg check, cuz TKD is really nothing below the waist and no punching to the head and no kicking in the back.

I've boxed competitively now for 2 years and I've had three fights. I feel pretty good with my hands.

legs:3
hands:7
knees:1

I was an amatuer boxer before i got into grappling....never kept up with the boxing just went full-on jiu-jitsu. So I rate my striking skills as CA-CA.

Knees: 8
Kicks: 8 for power 6 skill
Hnads: 6 Get tired when throwing combos

Hands: 8
Kicks: 0
Knees: Doesnt every knee hurt lol. ZERO

flyingknee16 said:
Still learning standup.

My submission wrestling is pretty good now, so I've started to focus more on muay thai to round out my game. I mean does anyone seriously just want to grapple? Being only a grappler is still as incomplete as a TKDer with no ground skills, yeah?

people can't grapple for sport?

i look great on the bags and pads but that's about it. i don't have near as much experience really banging as i'd like.

hands: 5
Kicks: 3
Knees: 7
Elbows: 10

I like the fight in close. I can throw my hands, but doing so controlled and not just being instinctively is why the 5. And as for kicks, I just had my ACL and MCL replaced so it's been difficult to get them back up.

lot of high numbers floating around.. i wonder what the buakaws, mayweathers and hoosts of the world stack up as.

Dont know.. I tried training my self from MT books, and instructionals... But i doubt it got me far.

Kicks have to be my strongest asset.. Last street fight i got into i dropped the guy from one leg kick.

I only practice sport jiu jitsu.... 6 times a week... never strike:-(

Back