Grappling guys: how do you rate your striking skills?

I am better with my knees in the clinch and jumping knees than I am with pushing knees to the body. I am still working on really getting my hips into it. My hands aren't bad in terms of power but my hand speed could be better and sometimes I drop them when I go for kicks. Defensively I think I'm alright, I really prefer evading blows and parrying to bobbing and weaving though. My elbows do need a lot more work. I am comfortable kicking with my left leg but need to improve my right.

On a scale of 1/10, 1 being Akebono, 5 being Musashi and 10 being Hoost.

Hands: 7
Elbows: 3
Knees: 8 in clinch/4 otherwise
Kicks: 8 left leg/4 right leg
Defense: 7

I have been training in the martial arts since I was 5. I grew up learning competitive point fighting and Muay Thai side by side. Because of that I tend to do some strange things like front leg hook kick people in the head during Muay Thai and punch a lot more in point fighting than most others.

I haven't really trained striking seriously since for about two years since I've been focusing on my weak grappling in college. Still I have a fair amount of experience and the few times that I have trained striking I did all right. I'd say 6-7 for hands and kicks and maybe 3-4 for elbows and knees since we trained with those but never sparred with them.

Way better striker than grappler. Raised on the poor side of Hawaii, yes, there are poor places here. So been fighting my whole life but trained seriously in muay thai for over 5 years.

Hands 6
Elbows 5
Knees 6
Kicking 6

I figure if I say 7,8,9, 10, I should be competing in some kind of competitions so I just leave it as is.

Much better than my grappling. I would like to see it end standing above anything else. I have trained in BJJ longer in years, but I am in the boxing gym at least 3x/week. After taking boxing, I feel much more comfortable and confident on my feet.

Most of these numbers seem suspiciously high to me. I wonder how much they reflect actual full-contact matches or full-contact sparring.

Eh, but here goes for me. As you can tell, I box and also do a bit of MT on the side:

Hands 6
Elbows 2
Knees 3
Kicking 3

colinm said:
people can't grapple for sport?

Sorry, don't get me wrong, i LOVE grappling and submission wrestling is definitely my first love, but I feel like, as a fighter, for me to become complete, I need to learn everything in order to be able to feel that I am prepared for any situation whether it's in the ring or possibly in the street.

kick? punch? what are those?
...it's freakin' horrible, which is why i grapple.
-Jon

Superbeast said:
I am better with my knees in the clinch and jumping knees than I am with pushing knees to the body. I am still working on really getting my hips into it. My hands aren't bad in terms of power but my hand speed could be better and sometimes I drop them when I go for kicks. Defensively I think I'm alright, I really prefer evading blows and parrying to bobbing and weaving though. My elbows do need a lot more work. I am comfortable kicking with my left leg but need to improve my right.

On a scale of 1/10, 1 being Akebono, 5 being Musashi and 10 being Hoost.

Hands: 7
Elbows: 3
Knees: 8 in clinch/4 otherwise
Kicks: 8 left leg/4 right leg
Defense: 7

Are you seriously saying that your knees and kicks with your lead legs, defense, and hands are better than Musashi's? You gotta be shittnig me man.l

flyingknee16 said:
Are you seriously saying that your knees and kicks with your lead legs, defense, and hands are better than Musashi's? You gotta be shittnig me man.l

I didn't mean literally, just a jokey sense of scale. It was either using names or saying "shit, average, awesome" so I thought it was better to go with names.

Superbeast said:
I didn't mean literally, just a jokey sense of scale. It was either using names or saying "shit, average, awesome" so I thought it was better to go with names.

LOL ok!!!! just making sure bro. sorry, couldnt see that joke when it was right there in front of my eyes :)

All my striking sucks. For the simple reason that I've never trained it properly.

I've got a heavy bag at home and I know the basic technique for punching but nothing at all about kicking. So I'd say;

Punches: 1
Elbows: 0
Kicks: 0
Knees: 0

Fearsome, I'm sure you'd agree.

there's a big difference between hitting the bag and sparring, something which i tend to forget after a long absence from sparring. using the bag you have a tendency to feel like you can take on anybody but the feeling changes when someone is in front of you hitting back. :p

Hand Power: 5
Hand Speed: 4
Hand Technique: 4.5
Elbow Power: 8
Elbow Speed: 8
Knee Power: 9
Knee Speed: 9
Kick Power: 9.5
Kick Speed: 7

I have VERY strong kicks because I knew that was my strong point in stand up so I worked it over and over trying to become even stronger.

The Man Monster said:
Hand Power: 5
Hand Speed: 4
Hand Technique: 4.5
Elbow Power: 8
Elbow Speed: 8
Knee Power: 9
Knee Speed: 9
Kick Power: 9.5
Kick Speed: 7

I have VERY strong kicks because I knew that was my strong point in stand up so I worked it over and over trying to become even stronger.

what rating does cro-cop get then? a 9.6?
:p
you fighting K1 yet? remember us when your famous

I'm not punch shy (anymore) so that's a step forward for me. Still, I'm not much better than an untrained striker. I'd be better off taking it to the ground.

Elbows: 8
Hands: 4
Knees: 3
Legs: 1 (more likely to get me taken down than to hurt you)

Umm, I'm relatively new to any martial art, been doing BJJ and boxing around the same time.

My grappling is better than my striking I think.

Punching - 2/10
Kicking - 0/10 (no idea, did TKD for 6 months in school, didn't learn that much)
Knees - 0/10 (No idea, never used them)

Main thing with my punching is I still need to get comfortable with having people throw punches at me. I can handle lighter-or maybe even medium sparring, but hard contact leaves me curled up in a ball on my feet, or charging the other guy. Depends who I am against I suppose. My coach says I have good power, but I still make fundamental mistakes like switching my feet (usually from overextending myself when I throw rear straights) and still spar on a punch by punch basis (or really basic combos, nothing fancy). I think I just need more experience.

Back