Gracie Barra with promote it's first Red & Black Belt!

I'm a little confused. Carlos Gracie Jr. just received his red/nlack belt which is 8th degree? In that case, how did rigan machado get his 8th degree before his main teacher Carlos? I'm just going by wikipedia so maybe I'm ill informed.
Rigan and Carlos are contemporaries though Carlos became the head of Gracie Barra and thus his "teacher". Many of the highest ranking students studied as long or longer than him, like Rigan and were students of Carlos Sr, Helio, Carlson Sr and Rolls before that. Rigan and his brothers and Renzo and his brothers were all associated with Gracie Barra before going on their own and starting their own schools and associations.

Some maintain their relationship while others don't.

Not just pics, but videos up on the Fightworks Podcast. Also has a speech from Rickson.

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LrGNF_pLhzY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="344" width="425"></object>

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fnbROlbytug&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="344" width="425"></object>

Heh, I read somewhere that Rickson was offered promotion to red/black belt or received it but won't wear it because, "Red/Black belts are for old men", lol ....

I have a question.

This has "bothered" me a little. Its really no big deal, but since the question of rank after black has been brought up.

I read multiple times here and my multiple people that you get strips after years of black. So...its a time thing, ok.

Why does royce have a 5th, rickson have 7th, and Rener Gracie have 4th. Rener's my age, having received his black no more than 5 years ago. Rickson spends 25 years as a blackbelt and gets 7, rener spends 4-5 years and gets 4?

What about BJ, he got his black in 2000, so he should have 2 or 3 strips by now.

I understand that this is not universal...that you don't just promote yourself after a certain time, but does anyone else find this a little funny?

I have a question.

This has "bothered" me a little. Its really no big deal, but since the question of rank after black has been brought up.

I read multiple times here and my multiple people that you get strips after years of black. So...its a time thing, ok.

Why does royce have a 5th, rickson have 7th, and Rener Gracie have 4th. Rener's my age, having received his black no more than 5 years ago. Rickson spends 25 years as a blackbelt and gets 7, rener spends 4-5 years and gets 4?

What about BJ, he got his black in 2000, so he should have 2 or 3 strips by now.

I understand that this is not universal...that you don't just promote yourself after a certain time, but does anyone else find this a little funny?

Actually Rener and his father do their own thing with the promotions. Rener having 4 degrees actually does bother a lot of other blackbelts who believe you need so many years for certain degrees. BJ doesn't really care that much about degrees I'm sure

I have a question.

Everyone knows who deserves what, especially in terms of the notable folks you listed. Hell, Bustamante, Sperry and the guys who left Carlson years ago weren't promoted but they have trained and promoted black belts of their own ... if they "wanted" or "needed" promotion and decided to add stripes or whatever, who can say they don't rate it?

Same goes for kids who prance around with inflated ranks .... don't think everyone has drunk the kool-aid.

You don't raise an eyebrown when toddlers run around with badges or with aluminum crowns on their heads do ya?

BJJ has become very competitive and things are done; compromises made in the name of business and to validate the various brands in todays' market.

Everyone knows who deserves what, especially in terms of the notable folks you listed. Hell, Bustamante, Sperry and the guys who left Carlson years ago weren't promoted but they have trained and promoted black belts of their own ... if they "wanted" or "needed" promotion and decided to add stripes or whatever, who can say they don't rate it?

Same goes for kids who prance around with inflated ranks .... don't think everyone has drunk the kool-aid.

You don't raise an eyebrown when toddlers run around with badges or with aluminum crowns on their heads do ya?

BJJ has become very competitive and things are done; compromises made in the name of business and to validate the various brands in todays' market.

guys like Bustamante and sperry can add stripes to their belts if they feel like it. They have been doing it for freakin years. Not only competing at black, but teaching, and even teaching people to the level of black. I can't say the same for rener

I'm not saying rener doesn't deserve it. He is an amazing teacher, a very humble individual, and a bad ass on the mat, repeating that last line, bad ass otm

But since we're talking about "time and stripes", does the 4 year black belt deserve the same rank as a 20 year black belt?

all these TMA belts don't matter, the only belts that matter are BJJ belts IMO.

And i really could care less about it also, i don't want to start an argument. This is just something i heard a while ago that i thought was interesting

One of the fundamental problems with a lot of posts in this thread is that many people assume that the standards for promoting black belts in BJJ is uniform and universally accepted. This is simply not true. The whole number of years per degree in blackbelt only applies to those BJJ schools and associations who decide to follow this guideline.

One of the fundamental problems with a lot of posts in this thread is that many people assume that the standards for promoting black belts in BJJ is uniform and universally accepted. This is simply not true. The whole number of years per degree in blackbelt only applies to those BJJ schools and associations who decide to follow this guideline.

well, according to ibjif, there is a standard for promoting blackbelts

International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation

Now again, i understand that this is not the case with all schools, or affiliates, but its something to think about

well, according to ibjif, there is a standard for promoting blackbelts

International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation

Now again, i understand that this is not the case with all schools, or affiliates, but its something to think about

I understand this. The IBJJF is the organization (founded by Carlos Gracie Jr. by the way) that most of our schools and affiliates follow. There are still many many schools, associations and rival organizations that do not follow IBJJF guidelines.

guys like Bustamante and sperry can add stripes to their belts if they feel like it. They have been doing it for freakin years. Not only competing at black, but teaching, and even teaching people to the level of black. I can't say the same for rener

I'm not saying rener doesn't deserve it. He is an amazing teacher, a very humble individual, and a bad ass on the mat, repeating that last line, bad ass otm

But since we're talking about "time and stripes", does the 4 year black belt deserve the same rank as a 20 year black belt?

all these TMA belts don't matter, the only belts that matter are BJJ belts IMO.

And i really could care less about it also, i don't want to start an argument. This is just something i heard a while ago that i thought was interesting

You basically said the same thing I THOUGHT I said. I don't see the seeds of any argument.

*re-reads post*

fabiano santos and now carlinhos.. it has been a good few months for jiu jitsu.

It has a lot do with time as well. There is Helio who is red belt and i'm sure he will be the one to actually promote him. When you are that high level it is not really a matter of who is promoting you. Carlos Jr. deserves this honor as he is the leader of the JJ world.

carlos gracie jr is higher ranked than rickson??

Back