Gracie Barra with promote it's first Red & Black Belt!

I'm not sure because Rick Young's site has him listed as "8th dan" and I've heard Rick say Mauricio is a 7th degree black belt in the past whereas the RGA site has him listed as 6th.

Yeah, I've seen other places that list him as 7th, but I'd presume the RGA site is accurate (given that's his son's school and the main place he teaches, AFAIK). So either he doesn't care, or the various websites aren't updated regularly with the correct rank. I'd have thought once you get to that stage of accomplishment in BJJ, how many stripes you've got on your belt is not something you put much stock in.

Easy enough to settle the question though, as there are comparatively recent pics about. Here's the man himself promoting Kevin Chan in February this year:

ekhzcm.jpg

If you zoom in on that belt, I think it shows six, although I may well have counted the stripes wrong. Either way, should be able to tell from this:

hv6ozr.jpg

Quote from GracieMag:

"As for the second, Feitosa is brimming with pride: "We have here today, at 7pm, the red and black belt cerimony for Master Carlos Gracie Jr. he will receive the belt from Renzo, who is his oldest student to remain in the Gracie Barra network. We hope for a great crowd and the presence of dozens of black belts at the event."

Over 20 black belts at Worlds

Interesting

For those unclear as to what Carlos Gracie Jr. looks like, here's an OLD picture I found:
Carlos_Gracie%2C_Jr.jpg

At any rate, congratulations to Carlos Gracie Jr. The guy definitely deserves it and has done an incredible job spreading jiu-jitsu through the world. If you look at the guys that trained under Carlos Gracie Jr., and all the people that he promoted to black belt, they have pretty much spread jiu-jitsu throughout most of the known world. The guy I'm going to be moving to train with, Helio Soneca (a 4th degree) got his black belt from Carlos.

Oh yeah, he also promoted Yuki Nakai to black belt, and Nakai-san is one of my personal heroes. That guy is just awesome.

is cesar going?

No. Cesar is a black belt from GB but they are on separate paths now. I try not to pay too close attention to all the politics.

Carlinios' father is Cesar's grandfather.

So Carlos is Cesar's uncle, I suppose.

Congrats to Carlos on the promotion!

Yeah. I guess I should have said it that way. Cesar's mom is Carlos' sister. I think Cesar is about 8 or 9 years younger than Carlos. The family tree can get a little confusing. The founder of our sport had 22 kids. (I think)

He gave WAND his BB too. My personal hero.

Damn I didn't know that! Wanderlei is my favorite fighter of all time too! I know Helio Soneca (4th degree under Carlos Jr.) gave Wanderlei his purple belt. I'm looking forward to talking with Soneca about Carlos Jr. and Wanderlei once I'm back home in three months.

I just got back from the ceremony. Rickson, Renzo,Babalu, Draculino, Roger....I cant even name everyone that was there because im not sure of their names. Around 30 black belts under Carlinhos.it was very special. Renzo is funny as hell. Im proud to be there and proud to be a part of GB.

was a really nice ceremony with speaches from tons of big names including renzo, rickson and roger gracie... braulio estima, draculino, flavio almeida, marcio feitosa and so many more.... was definitely cool

was a really nice ceremony with speaches from tons of big names including renzo, rickson and roger gracie... braulio estima, draculino, flavio almeida, marcio feitosa and so many more.... was definitely cool

I wish I brought my gi. I wanted pictures with them so bad! ill just wait till this weekend i guess. Cool though, huh?!

had a great time, saw a lot of old friends. Very moving speeches and just makes me want to train harder

I just got back from the ceremony. Rickson, Renzo,Babalu, Draculino, Roger....I cant even name everyone that was there because im not sure of their names. Around 30 black belts under Carlinhos.it was very special. Renzo is funny as hell. Im proud to be there and proud to be a part of GB.

Here I'll add some. M. Gomes, Tussa, Romulo Barral, Nelson Monteiro, Kyra Gracie, Kayron Gracie, Rafael Ramos, etc.

I'm a little confused. Carlos Gracie Jr. just received his red/nlack belt which is 8th degree? In that case, how did rigan machado get his 8th degree before his main teacher Carlos? I'm just going by wikipedia so maybe I'm ill informed.

any pics???

Not just pics, but videos up on the Fightworks Podcast. Also has a speech from Rickson.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LrGNF_pLhzY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LrGNF_pLhzY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fnbROlbytug&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fnbROlbytug&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Back