Gracie Barra with promote it's first Red & Black Belt!

GBYorba_Fighter

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We were all informed Gracie Barra will promote Master Carlos Gracie Jr. to his Red & Black Belt on June 3rd @ 8:00 p.m.

I think from what I have been told Professor Marcio Feitosa will also get a stripe.

Here is the link.

: : : : GRACIE BARRA : : : :

how does "gracie barra" promote carlihos? I am not saying that he doesn't dersive it... but if it is "gracie barra" it's basically carlos gracie jr promoting himself.

Is he the one that has a studio in S. Houston? I was thinking about training there and leaving MFS cause Sam Hoger is suck a dick.

how does "gracie barra" promote carlihos? I am not saying that he doesn't dersive it... but if it is "gracie barra" it's basically carlos gracie jr promoting himself.

There was a funny thread on the UG about this. Basically Carlos Gracie Jr. is having the black belts under him promote him. Very TMA ...

You pretty much have to promote yourself to get to the highest level.

I'm not too sharp on my current BJJ politics, but I think most of the current red belts are from Helio's line. So I don't know if there is a living one from Carlos' line to do the promotion. Hence why it would be done by an association that is headed by the person being promoted.

In almost all arts, the highest ranking guy is essentially self-promoted. Was Helio awarded his red belt by his instructor? That would seem difficult to me since he claims that he essentially invented most of BJJ on his own.

There was a funny thread on the UG about this. Basically Carlos Gracie Jr. is having the black belts under him promote him. Very TMA ...

in all fairness... if roirion can have a red belt so can carlihnos... That being said... it would be better for GB and Carlinhos to have one of the other red belts come in and promote him.. such as the boss of kioto.

He's getting a Red & Black belt not a red belt. Two completely different things

You pretty much have to promote yourself to get to the highest level.

Yup. Every belt giving martial art there is was started by some guy that bastardized or addapted somebody elses stuff and then named themself a grandmaster.

One of the truly enjoyable things about Western Wrestling, MT, KB and Western Boxing is that there are belts and the only things that pass for credentials are victories in coaching or competing.

I think MMA is going to go the way of TMA though. I predict within 10 years most MMA schools will be doing like the Pit and some others and giving belts.

Technically, Helio Gracie is the highest level. Even Carlos Gracie Jr. does much of the promoting he is really doing it on behave of Helio Gracie. When it comes to promoting him that is really where it is coming from. And as for the red belt scenario, he is not getting his red belt. He is getting a red and black belt, which just looks like a black belt with multiple red bars all the way down the belt. He has not earned that rank yet. Last time I heard he was an 8th degree black belt, so the highest he would be promoting to (unless they skip) would be to 9th degree which is not a red belt yet. I know it is quite confusing, but I ask someone who would know and they told me exactly this.

Technically, Helio Gracie is the highest level. Even Carlos Gracie Jr. does much of the promoting he is really doing it on behave of Helio Gracie. When it comes to promoting him that is really where it is coming from. And as for the red belt scenario, he is not getting his red belt. He is getting a red and black belt, which just looks like a black belt with multiple red bars all the way down the belt. He has not earned that rank yet. Last time I heard he was an 8th degree black belt, so the highest he would be promoting to (unless they skip) would be to 9th degree which is not a red belt yet. I know it is quite confusing, but I ask someone who would know and they told me exactly this.

Post Corrected, sorry for the confusion...:D

i was already looking forward to carlos gracie jr getting his promotion, then joining the forum and starting a "just got my red and black" thread

i was already looking forward to carlos gracie jr getting his promotion, then joining the forum and starting a "just got my red and black" thread

LOL

"I always thought I was rolling at the red and black belt level especially since I have great grip and core strength."

Promotions above black belt are automatic in BJJ, based on number of years with the black belt. Because of that, there's no reason promotion to a higher grade is shady. The only thing that would make it kinda weird is if he doesn't yet have the number of years to actually have that ranking by BJJ standards.

Last time I heard he was an 8th degree black belt, so the highest he would be promoting to (unless they skip) would be to 9th degree which is not a red belt yet. I know it is quite confusing, but I ask someone who would know and they told me exactly this.

That's not correct at all. In BJJ, 7th and 8th are red and black belts. 9th and 10th are red belts. This makes sense, because unlike most other martial arts, BJJ starts with a "zero-degree" black belt, while others like Judo start with shodan "1st-degree" black belt. So in both cases, the 10th black belt is red, but it is a different number than in others. (Also, BJJ is evil Judo because it uses a red-and-black belt instead of a red-and-white belt. :icon_twis)

I'm not exactly sure if 9th is red or red/black. Mansor wears a red belt, as does Oswaldo Fadda. Rorion wears the red belt too. However, the IBJJF web site says that 9th degree is a red/black belt. Since there aren't many 9th degrees, and most seem to be wearing red belts, I assume that the IBJJF's page is wrong.

Congrats to Carlinhos, in any case!

ROTFLOL I wish he would!

Congratulations to Carlinhos! He has been working very hard for this promotion in class, and has been consistently tapping many 5th, 6th and 7th degree blackbelts recently. I thought he was ready for this promotion last year, but it was worth the wait.

Promotions above black belt are automatic in BJJ, based on number of years with the black belt. Because of that, there's no reason promotion to a higher grade is shady. The only thing that would make it kinda weird is if he doesn't yet have the number of years to actually have that ranking by BJJ standards.

Yeah that is what i had always been told. There are instructors out there that are high degree black belts, that will "promote" their own black belts (read as giving them additional stripes on their belts)...
But if a guy (and of course the guy must be a black belt:icon_chee) trains on his own (no longer has a black belt instructor, for whatever reason), i was under the impression that you get a stripe every so many years...

And as others have pointed out...how did the OG gracies get their original rank? They would have had to have promoted themselves...would they have not!?

Anyway...Carlos is a deserving guy...it not like he is some TMA hack that is proclaiming himself grand master dragon/destory of worlds or something...

Back