Got a former workout buddy that's trying something different.... your thoughts?

GearSolidMetal

Plutonium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
For years now he's tried to lose weight by working out and it hasn't worked out for him, so he's doing something somewhat drastic.

His PRs have increased over the years, but his muscle gains have always been covered up by a layer of fat.

He's planning on losing 25 pounds exclusively by regulating his nutrition over the next few months.... no strength training. Go from 205 pounds to at most 180 pounds and possibly down to 170, and then build up from there with Kettlebells & Calisthenics, and with muscle memory and a few cut & bulk cycles he thinks he'll be back to his PRs within a year but at a significantly lower bodyfat percentage.

I honestly have no idea if this is a brilliant plan or completely stupid.

Thoughts?

He should try ozempic.
25 lbs just nutrition sounds hard

He's very anti-perscription pills.

I told him how I lost weight a while ago.
*Waterfasting 22 hours a day.
*2 hour window of eating protein.
*No sugar. No alcohol.
*1 cheat meal a week.

He doesn't really need to stop weight training. In fact, he should try to keep burning calories while changing up his diet.

Some people have a condition where their body can't produce enough of something to cause any kind of weight loss. Adrenalin and insulin are tow of those things. The reason some of these medications like ozempic work is because they increase insulin production which causes people to shed extra weight.

Anyway I'm not saying he should do it, just saying some people have a legit condition.

What's worked for me is a very boring diet. I eat almost the same thing every day and drink lots of water. I cheat on weekends sometimes but since I drink so much water I get full really quickly.

I’m not sure I understand. Are you saying he plans to stop all strength training and lose weight “exclusively through nutrition” (?)

What does he think will happen if he adjusts his diet but keeps training like normal? Does he think the act of lifting weights inherently makes him gain calories? If so he is, in fact, retarded.

Also, why would he work up again using kettlebells and calisthenics? What’s the supposed need to use that over weights, if his ultimate goal is to lift? Does he think being lighter makes it dangerous to lift, or something? I don’t get it. Unless I misunderstood something, I’ll side with “sounds incredibly stupid.”

Diet is the key to losing weight, but he should keep strength training to maintain as much muscle while losing mostly fat. Is he worried that if he keeps lifting he'll be too hungry to diet?

I’m not sure I understand. Are you saying he plans to stop all strength training and lose weight “exclusively through nutrition” (?)

Yup.

What does he think will happen if he adjusts his diet but keeps training like normal? Does he think the act of lifting weights inherently makes him gain calories? If so he is, in fact, retarded.
Exercise spikes his hunger, especially lifting heavy weights.

Damn near impossible for him to not have a big meal after a workout. Even if its a healthy meal its far more calories than what he'd burn in a workout.
Also, why would he work up again using kettlebells and calisthenics? What’s the supposed need to use that over weights, if his ultimate goal is to lift? Does he think being lighter makes it dangerous to lift, or something? I don’t get it. Unless I misunderstood something, I’ll side with “sounds incredibly stupid.”
Basically he wants to be more 'cut.'
To weigh less (15% of his body weight lighter), with a smaller body fat percentage (Under 10%), and I think for the muscle to be more defined... more apparent as opposed to be under a layer of fat.

Didn't put all this info in the OP because it would seem like information overload. He told me his plan and seems enthusiastic about it so I didn't want to discourage him, but he did mention he's looking for suggestions.

The common sense thing would be to reduce his volume or frequency while losing a lot of weight. Maybe take out certain exercises. Stopping lifting weights makes very little sense, but he can do whatever he wants.

Yup.

Damn near impossible for him to not have a big meal after a workout. Even if its a healthy meal its far more calories than what he'd burn in a workout.

To weigh less (15% of his body weight lighter), with a smaller body fat percentage (Under 10%), and I think for the muscle to be more defined... more apparent as opposed to be under a layer of fat.

Didn't put all this info in the OP because it would seem like information overload. He told me his plan and seems enthusiastic about it so I didn't want to discourage him, but he did mention he's looking for suggestions.

Just cut calories pre or way post training.

Let's be honest, old matey is using hard training to justify that extra serve of chips or mcdonalds trip because he is hungry.
That sounds about right.

Sounds like he needs to control his portions. He could also combat his hunger by drinking more water throughout the day. He doesn't need to guzzle, but keep a water bottle nearby and sip on it throughout the day. He won't feel as hungry.

If he is looking to lose weight he doesn't need to lift as heavy either.

Let's be honest, old matey is using hard training to justify that extra serve of chips or mcdonalds trip because he is hungry.

He hasn't eaten fast food in years, but doesn't necessary follow a strict diet... but he says he'll start following a strict diet after losing the weight and try to gain back the muscle with minimum fat.

He hasn't eaten fast food in years, but doesn't necessary follow a strict diet... but he says he'll start following a strict diet after losing the weight and try to gain back the muscle with minimum fat.
ryan-reynolds-but-why-reaction-dpsicvpejgpp14ew.gif

Is he training for a fight?

If he diets properly now and backs off on hard weights he can lose fat and get shredded

Is he just fixated on the number on the scale? Bro I gained like 10-15 lbs in the past 2 years but with consistent training I am in better shape right now than I have ever been. I would not want to back to where I was 15lbs ago...

The premise of losing weight by reducing exercise and switching to a strict diet AFTER losing the weight while adding back exercise sounds fucking retarded. If this dude lacks the discipline to control his portion sizes when he's working out, how in the blue hell is he going to do that when his metabolism is slower due to less exercise with less muscle mass while running a caloric deficit?

Muscle mass burns calories during exercise and at rest. He should want to maintain as much of it as possible while maintaining a healthy diet. But if he's been wanting to lose weight, why has he been chasing PRs? That generally entails lifting heavy as shit and running a caloric surplus. He should continue to strength train with more reps with lighter weight, do more cardio and stick to a sustainable diet for the long haul that doesn't require any crazy sacrifices. Crash diets and quick fix shit never works long term.

ryan-reynolds-but-why-reaction-dpsicvpejgpp14ew.gif

Is he training for a fight?

If he diets properly now and backs off on hard weights he can lose fat and get shredded

Is he just fixated on the number on the scale? Bro I gained like 10-15 lbs in the past 2 years but with consistent training I am in better shape right now than I have ever been. I would not want to back to where I was 15lbs ago...

He says he's basically tried doing only cardio for a month and only lost 3 pounds. Regardless of the workout he does his hunger still spikes.

Its not as much what the scale says as what he sees in the mirror.

The premise of losing weight by reducing exercise and switching to a strict diet AFTER losing the weight while adding back exercise sounds fucking retarded. If this dude lacks the discipline to control his portion sizes when he's working out, how in the blue hell is he going to do that when his metabolism is slower due to less exercise with less muscle mass while running a caloric deficit?

Muscle mass burns calories during exercise and at rest. He should want to maintain as much of it as possible while maintaining a healthy diet. But if he's been wanting to lose weight, why has he been chasing PRs? That generally entails lifting heavy as shit and running a caloric surplus. He should continue to strength train with more reps with lighter weight, do more cardio and stick to a sustainable diet for the long haul that doesn't require any crazy sacrifices. Crash diets and quick fix shit never works long term.

Agreed, and I'll bring this up to him and I'll try to convince him to do a workout before his one meal a day.

What I did a few years ago to go from 245 pounds to 180 pounds was pretty drastic, but it worked for me. He says he can do the same thing to get to 180 to 170 pounds, and I guess we'll see. But if he can do it I bet he'll stick to a training regime with a strict diet.

Yup.

If he can’t control himself becoming fat then the problem isn’t the lifting. The higher probability here is that there is some psychological factor at play, or that he's trying to do too much too soon, and not giving himself time to adapt to new habits and for his appetite to adjust to a lower caloric intake.

If what he thinks was true, people who exercise a lot would be on average fatter than sedentary people, which is the opposite of what we commonly see. Some recreational and heavyweight powerlifters are fat, yes, but that's mainly because being heavier and gaining muscle mass at all costs is mostly an advantage when it comes to chasing numbers, and many just don't care about anything else. Lifters who have to restrict themselves to a weight class (of which there are many) are generally very jacked and strong compared to sedentary people.

So, it sounds like he's giving himself permission to eat excessively just because he thinks the lifting somehow justifies or requires it, so he will obviously gain weight. Or it's also probable that he tried to diet dramatically while lifting very hard, so of course that will make him feel like shit. He could do the dramatic dieting if he wanted, and he will lose weight, but it doesn't sound like something that would work for him, if it requires stopping all training. He could start by modestly cutting maybe 10% of his caloric intake or something like that, tracking what he eats, waiting a few weeks more, cutting some calories again, wait for his appetite to adjust until he feels settled into the new diet, replacing low-satiety-high-calorie foods for high-satiety-low-calorie ones, waiting a bit, maintaining the new weight for a couple weeks, then cutting a bit more, and so on. There's many ways to do it, and he should look to satisfy cravings with low calorie snacks, which requires some planning. All of that could be done without modifying the training significantly, and without crash-dieting, although PRs may not come by as easily. If he likes eating large meals after training, maybe look for ways to make this large meal less calorically dense, while still letting it be larger, and cut calories from other meals during the day.

With his logic, why wouldn't his appetite become what it is now again after he starts lifting heavy again, and what would stop him from becoming fat again when he tries to gain back the muscle? Doesn't make sense to me. Sounds like a recipe to lose a bunch of hard earned strength and muscle for no good reason.

Last edited:
Back