Gordon Ryan slaps Andre Galvao UPDATE: Andre speaks outch

Guy with the Fanny-pack was the only thing separating them

Andre Galvao is showing the fear he has in his heart for when the Paul brothers make their inevitable jump into competitive BJJ.

Fake WWE shit to get human cawkfighting fans to care about BaJayJay.

bill-russell-bored-at-game-7.gif

I would've said it was fake had the slap not been so hard and had Andre retaliated, but those facts make me think it's real.
Galvao got alpha'd hard.

Yeah, right after Khabib outwrestles Olympic gold medalists in the training room and before he beats GSP by UD.

<DisgustingHHH>
If you're going to exaggerate the point, you might as well say GSP in his prime. Galvao has nothing for Khabib, and that's the point.

i cannot take competitive BJJ seriously for 2 reasons.

1. gentle art is filled with a bunch of steroid users.

2. now that the art has had time to evolve, is it still practical or is so much of the meta of the "grappling only" styles basically watering down the practicality of it in MMA? i'm asking not stating because i don't watch enough BJJ to have a firm opinion but it seems like it's getting watered down.

Jiu jitsu is very watered down. Nowadays the sports top athletes look to exploit the rules as much as possible by the fact there’s no punching involved. You see the competitors do stuff that would get their head punched in.

Jiu jitsu is very watered down. Nowadays the sports top athletes look to exploit the rules as much as possible by the fact there’s no punching involved. You see the competitors do stuff that would get their head punched in.

see that's what i thought. it's like it's its own thing now. before it was created for self defense but now it's all been parred down to understanding the rules and applying counters with meta knowledge, like how leg locks have made a resurgence in BJJ.

i guess i'm wondering, what the fuck is the point of BJJ anymore? before it was hand and hand with MMA/self defense/vale tudo, now it's like some weird hybrid of itself.

see that's what i thought. it's like it's its own thing now. before it was created for self defense but now it's all been parred down to understanding the rules and applying counters with meta knowledge, like how leg locks have made a resurgence in BJJ.

i guess i'm wondering, what the fuck is the point of BJJ anymore? before it was hand and hand with MMA/self defense/vale tudo, now it's like some weird hybrid of itself.

Sport Jiu jitsu is definitely a weird hybrid of the foundation of the original martial art. Over the years people have learned how to exploit the rules and primarily use techniques that are only dominant under the strict conditions of a sport Jiu jitsu match. You still do have some people teaching old school Jiu jitsu, ryron and Rener gracie for example, but the vast majority of people who compete are being taught to pull guard, berimbolo, and reverse De La Riva in order to win.

Galvao lost the moral highground and he can't play "tough guy" anymore either.
Lose/Lose.

Now if they compete and he somehow finds a way to win (Gordon would and will crush him like a bug), Gord can just say "You should have done that in the street where i slapped the shit out of you twice"

Lose/Lose/Lose.

No wonder the Mendes Bros don't associate with this guy anymore. Bad for business.

Sport Jiu jitsu is definitely a weird hybrid of the foundation of the original martial art. Over the years people have learned how to exploit the rules and primarily use techniques that are only dominant under the strict conditions of a sport Jiu jitsu match. You still do have some people teaching old school Jiu jitsu, ryron and Rener gracie for example, but the vast majority of people who compete are being taught to pull guard, berimbolo, and reverse De La Riva in order to win.
<{clintugh}>

Normally I'd agree. I got a feeling even in MMA, Galvao could beat Khabib at WW though.
In an ADCC match I would favor Galvao but MMA is a different story, Galvao doesnt react well to getting punched in the face and would more than likely never be able to take Khabib down.

Galvao has avoided that match for several years.

The funniest thing is galvao got aggressive and slapped with a home run crack of the bat. Talked more shit. Retreated and then smacked equally as good.

Galvao had no idea it was captured on camera so he follows and pretends nothing happened and he punked Ryan out.

No gi. Mma. A fight. Gordon embarrasses galvao. And Andre knows this.

He will never accept a match with Gordon.

Agreed, this is one of the reasons I stopped training. Sport Jiu Jitsu doesnt serve for self defense and has becomed very watered down. Nobody is gonna get in a fight and throw berimobolos, or go de la Riva, or do Imanari rolls. I remember one of my old coaches would mock people for not using those techniques and would kind of embarras you for trying do throws or get take downs and establish top control. I understand the new school techniques work in tournaments but, me and many others, were not interested in competing, we wanted the self-defense aspect of it.

A short honest response:

BJJ matches heavily favor pulling guard, it's easier to score an advantage or even maybe even score some points from a sweep. This means on a practical level, learning takedowns isn't the priority and even can be risky at times... this is changing, but BJJ still favors guard pulling. On the other hand, being on bottom in MMA has little to no advantages and the judges will almost always see you losing if you are mainly on the bottom for a decision.

The one really unexplored area: hitting Imanari rolls or forcing the 50/50 guard in MMA. Much like Ryan Hall does sometimes. If someone like Gordon Ryan can pull 50/50 in every match, it might be a problem for people he'd be going against in MMA.
I think the thing is with BJJ is that it is evolving as guys start getting better at areas that maybe have been overlooked so the game changes, but, in turn its kind of making BJJ evolve into its own separate thing (I know it already was just further) so much so that it doesnt really seem to be translating in MMA
Sounds a bit stupid but sometimes moves dont work on someone who isnt actually playing the BJJ game with you and if someones main goal is just to simply stand up instead of sit in 50/50 or other leg attack positions
That and as you said takedowns are so neglected by just about every BJJ player because they simply have no need if every roll starts on the ground already which is also necessary to get more people on one mat, but if every roll was to start standing takedowns would come a lot more natural but then the game would evolve around the takedowns and counters to takedowns etc

Agreed, this is one of the reasons I stopped training. Sport Jiu Jitsu doesnt serve for self defense and has becomed very watered down. Nobody is gonna get in a fight and throw berimobolos, or go de la Riva, or do Imanari rolls. I remember one of my old coaches would mock people for not using those techniques and would kind of embarras you for trying do throws or get take downs and establish top control. I understand the new school techniques work in tournaments but, me and many others, were not interested in competing, we wanted the self-defense aspect of it.

What bothered me the most was when sport bjj guys would call bjj matches “fights” like wtf lmao. Just straight delusional.

Back