Gordon Ryan slaps Andre Galvao UPDATE: Andre speaks outch

SSgt Dickweed

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Fake WWE shit to get human cawkfighting fans to care about BaJayJay.

bill-russell-bored-at-game-7.gif

If Sambo was only for bitches, it would be called BJJ.

I mean, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a specialized thing, it's only grappling. Sambo is less skill intensive in the areas of which BJJ exists but overall is a less controlled environment with more facets therefore more diffuclt. But under that thinking, if MMA was easy you would call it Sambo. If Muay Thai was easy you'd call it Boxing.

The shirt was awesome though

I mean, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a specialized thing, it's only grappling. Sambo is less skill intensive in the areas of which BJJ exists but overall is a less controlled environment with more facets therefore more diffuclt. But under that thinking, if MMA was easy you would call it Sambo. If Muay Thai was easy you'd call it Boxing.

The shirt was awesome though

It’s only a joke but at the same time there is a kernel of truth in it. The truth is that you can be a bitch and do BJJ seriously, but you cannot be a bitch and do any of the other things you mentioned seriously, perhaps for no more complicated a reason than they involve getting punched in the face.

It’s only a joke but at the same time there is a kernel of truth in it. The truth is that you can be a bitch and do BJJ seriously, but you cannot be a bitch and do any of the other things you mentioned seriously, perhaps for no more complicated a reason than they involve getting punched in the face.
Logical <mma4>

i cannot take competitive BJJ seriously for 2 reasons.

1. gentle art is filled with a bunch of steroid users.

2. now that the art has had time to evolve, is it still practical or is so much of the meta of the "grappling only" styles basically watering down the practicality of it in MMA? i'm asking not stating because i don't watch enough BJJ to have a firm opinion but it seems like it's getting watered down.

BJJ is pretty rough, maybe its because Im a heavyweight but rolling with athletes and wrestling and shit. I feel it more than sparring in a ring with head gear and 16oz gloves. Also 5-10 minute matches in BJJ are fucking serious, its definitely a battle of wills, not many bitches will be good at it. Id say it was on par with amateur boxing to say the least, the concious decisions of escaping vs tapping in limb locks is often fractions of a second and often times you get injured regardless. Chokes are whatever usually but Ive gotten my neck fucked up, Ive known people who got vertibreas fucked up from guillotines and cranks. Does it require the same toughness as MMA or Muay Thai? Maybe not. Its certainly less athletically demanding for most.

i cannot take competitive BJJ seriously for 2 reasons.

1. gentle art is filled with a bunch of steroid users.

2. now that the art has had time to evolve, is it still practical or is so much of the meta of the "grappling only" styles basically watering down the practicality of it in MMA? i'm asking not stating because i don't watch enough BJJ to have a firm opinion but it seems like it's getting watered down.

A short honest response:

BJJ matches heavily favor pulling guard, it's easier to score an advantage or even maybe even score some points from a sweep. This means on a practical level, learning takedowns isn't the priority and even can be risky at times... this is changing, but BJJ still favors guard pulling. On the other hand, being on bottom in MMA has little to no advantages and the judges will almost always see you losing if you are mainly on the bottom for a decision.

The one really unexplored area: hitting Imanari rolls or forcing the 50/50 guard in MMA. Much like Ryan Hall does sometimes. If someone like Gordon Ryan can pull 50/50 in every match, it might be a problem for people he'd be going against in MMA.

Last edited:
Back