Good Whisky ?

I'm not a fan of bourbons straight for some reason. I generally mix with dr. pepper or coke.

Scotch on the other hand, straight up, no ice. Maybe a drop of warm water or two.

Try Bookers. It was unexpectedly good.

Irish:
Redbreast12YO.jpg

Even better, but only available in Ireland:
5001150-1.jpg

Ran through a couple bottles of Redbreast and was really good so definitely will take your advice and try the Mitchell and Son. Hopefully not too pricey, trying to put a clamp on my finances these days.

EDIT: Well fuck, just realized you said only available in Ireland.

Ran through a couple bottles of Redbreast and was really good so definitely will take your advice and try the Mitchell and Son. Hopefully not too pricey, trying to put a clamp on my finances these days.

EDIT: Well fuck, just realized you said only available in Ireland.

Sadly. Its not even that pricey but it is outstanding. I brought back 2 bottles when I was there last. One for me, one for my friend. I should have brought back six for myself. There is a new one out called Yellow Spot which is supposed to be even better (smaller batch, now that Green has gotten relatively big).

RedBreast is actually smoother but GreenSpot's flavor is outstanding while also being smooth.

So much good tasting alcohol in this thread, so little time...

Laphroaig has a pretty strong smoky flavour but is a favourite of mine.

Otherwise I recently tried a Japanese whiskey called Hibiki, smoothest whiskey I've ever had. Probably costs a bit but worth a splurge for a special occasion if you can find it online.

Try Buffalo Trace if you haven't already. Better than MM and is in the same price range, if not cheaper.

And speaking of MM, I like their aged bottle, Makers 46. Def worth the slight price jump.

Buffalo Trace is probably the best value.

It's not whiskey, but Bundy Red is a top drop.

Otherwise I recently tried a Japanese whiskey called Hibiki, smoothest whiskey I've ever had. Probably costs a bit but worth a splurge for a special occasion if you can find it online.

Japanese whiskey is very good. im wondering if it's gonna be more common in a few years time , they can be very smooth & complex, and are great after dinner

Japanese whiskey is very good. im wondering if it's gonna be more common in a few years time , they can be very smooth & complex, and are great after dinner

Where can I find Japanese whisky? It's not like they pop up at the local LCBO

When I'm mixing, I'll drink Gentleman Jack, Crown, or Woodford Reserve Single Barrel.

If I'm drinking it straight, I'm going with single malt scotch. I'll gladly drink scotch from different regions: Islay, Highland, Speyside. But I strongly prefer Speysides. If I'm paying, I typically won't drink anything under 14 yrs. If someone else is paying, I'll take a plain 12 year like Glenlivet (not bad, but not particularly complex).

I'm more of an Islay malt kind of guy, though I think Gentlemans Jack is good by itself.

Where can I find Japanese whisky? It's not like they pop up at the local LCBO

The Japanese single malts are pretty damned smooth. I'm sure you could ask your local liquor store to order a box.

No it's not.

I said upmarket not luxury. Didn't mean to imply it was something more than it is

It's in the jack/Jim beam price range which is almost double the entry price for whiskey.

He was referring to it as cheaper whiskey -in America it's a lot more than Southern Comfort, R&R, Canadien Club, Old Crow and other entry level drinkable whiskeys

Last edited:
Has anybody mentioned Knob Creek? Pricey but damn good, it's a 50 by volume so some people like to cut it a little to smooth it out, but it's a great bourbon

Back