GOOD NEWS! Millenial interns ALL get fired after "protesting at work" about dress code

Agreed with you thus far, but I disagree here man. I've known plenty of PMs and coders over the years who who were pot smokers, and they were some of the strongest people I've had on my teams.

The way I see it, if someone is getting high on the job they should be dismissed immediately. But what people do on their own time is none of the company's business. If they are to drug test, there should be a threshold for failure that can only be reached by actually being high on the job.
But what happens when there free time runs into my work time? You think that drugs are out of their system just because they clock in at 8?

And there is a difference between a coder sitting at a desk fucking around on a keyboard and someone in the medical field, driving, etc. Their decisions/fuckups can cost people their lives and get me sued. You think the person who got fucked up and is suing me wants to hear, he was only high on his own time?

This is reality. If businesses took into account every minor demand/complaint they quickly lose competitiveness. You can't afford to cater to everyone in the real world. And yeah, there's a ladder. Interns are at the bottom.

I wonder how they'll react when they face a challenge greater than adhering to a professional dress code in a professional environment.

I think it was beneficial for the company in the long run.

How much time do you want to waste on bullshit petitions from (potential) employees? As for "is this the kind of company I want to work for"? Sure, why not? It's not like they're some draconian and heartless institution, as evidenced by the concession made to their employe who is missing a leg.
Plus you start giving in to people wanting to change the basic, you have petitions all the time. Once people get one thing changed they will start looking for other things to change. If you give in on one issue they will not understand why you don't give in on others. BUT BUT BUT I was right about the dress code and you guys changed it, I'm right now, why aren't you changing this issue?

But what happens when there free time runs into my work time? You think that drugs are out of their system just because they clock in at 8?

And there is a difference between a coder sitting at a desk fucking around on a keyboard and someone in the medical field, driving, etc. Their decisions/fuckups can cost people their lives and get me sued. You think the person who got fucked up and is suing me wants to hear, he was only high on his own time?

How many jobs can you list that a high person could cause severe damage to while under the influence? Is it maybe 5% of all jobs? 10%? So drug test them. It seems reasonable. Applying that standard to the other 90% on paper look like a complete waste of money. Those people that can't perform their jobs will get fired due to incompetency.

All your reading got you working for a multimillionaire who didn't read. Maybe he didn't have time to read because he was busy being a millionaire? There is a difference between reading and being educated. If your were educated you would know this.

Is this story happening in your head only, because I think it is.

How many jobs can you list that a High person could cause severe damage to? Is it maybe 5% of all jobs? 10%? So drug test them. It seems reasonable. Applying that standard to the other 90% on paper look like a complete waste of money. Those people that can't perform their jobs will get fired to incompetency.
Medical field
Transportation
Construction
Assembly line
Law enforcement
Lawyer

Lol, thanks man. I'm a developer who appreciates a good toke in the evening and I commend you for not throwing my type to the curb as lazy. But then again, I enjoy my work and my team. If I was stuck doing some menial shit the herb might factor in negatively. :)

It's a stressful job.

A high lasts 2-3 hours, but it stays detectable longer. Without thresholds, someone smoking a joint on a Friday could fail a drug test on a Monday without actually being under the influence of weed. It is akin to firing someone on Monday for having a beer on a Friday. Or the night before. You wouldn't. You'd only fire them if they were drunk on the job.

It's illogical, and really all you're doing is enabling pill culture in our society. Which is even worse to me.

Typical American mentality. Whenever there is a dispute between a company and workers, the average person always side with the company. Why would anyone be happy interns got fired> Its like some of you got personally offended the way you respond

It is because corporations create a stable economy. Otherwise you would end up with an economy of Russia or North Korea.

Medical field
Transportation
Construction
Assembly line
Law enforcement
Lawyer

Like I said, about 10% of jobs. I'm also entertaining your belief that someone who got high the night before is still under the influence when they get to work.

Maybe next time these dumb motherfuckers will go down to Walmart and buy a $4 foot orthotic instead of whining about their precious virgin feet which ultimately led to them getting shitcanned from their first real foray into the workforce (which always looks good on a resume).

Last edited:
Like I said, about 10% of jobs. I'm also entertaining your belief that someone who got high the night before is still under the influence when they get to work.
Lol. 10%?

Nope, that's not my belief. In fact I'm very much against drug testing. What people do on their own time shouldn't be an employers business - except when it effects on the job performance.

Lol. 10%?

Nope, that's not my belief. In fact I'm very much against drug testing. What people do on their own time shouldn't be an employers business - except when it effects on the job performance.

Show me a statistical fact that more than 10% of jobs will cause injury if a common mistake is made (notice how I said common mistake, not a perfect mistake). Also show me the stats that show how MOST mistakes are make while high, and not because of pure incompetence or negligence (indiscriminate of being high).

Then maybe, you have an argument.

giphy.gif

Show me a statistical fact that more than 10% of jobs will cause injury if a common mistake is made (notice how I said common mistake, not a perfect mistake). Also show me the stats that show how MOST mistakes are make while high, and not because of pure incompetence or negligence (indiscriminate of being high).

Then maybe, you have an argument.
First off, what does your last sentence have to do with my comment? Secondly, you were asking about causing severe damage, which is different from injury.

Do you really think the list I put together accounts for less than 10% of the work force? Let's add agriculture and trades to that list as well.

Definitely sounds like there is more to the story.

Fuck, this article just makes me love my company even more. It's a nonprofit government contracting entity with about 1300 employees. The dress code is up to you. If you are a developer like me, you can wear jeans and polo shirts if you so choose (personally, I wear business casual because its easy but I've seen much worse). If you are everyone else, you are expected to dress business with ties and jackets optional. But nothing is strictly enforced. That would interfere with people actually doing their jobs. And if their job requires them to present or sell, dressing poor will effect them negatively.

Also, no drug testing, work from home 2 days a week, and a healthy R & D program.

always count your blessings

I take pride in what I wear at work. Sure there are more comfortable options but I will always wear my jacket. I actually hate most places that don't have some sort of dress code. Especially in the service industry.

I dont think employers should always decide the dress code. Here in UK we had a woman who got fired for refusing to wear high-heels as she said it was really uncomfortable for her and wanted to wear more flat footed shoes. They still looked professional. But employers insisted every woman has to wear high-heels because they look nice on women

Employers should always decide the dress code ( with a certain limitation of course) as an employee, you have choice to quit or wear according to the dress code.

its really that simple.

I take pride in what I wear at work. Sure there are more comfortable options but I will always wear my jacket. I actually hate most places that don't have some sort of dress code. Especially in the service industry.
Statements like this are just so absurd to me. And I've never had any issue following any dress code at school or in the workplace. It just sounds like a 15 year old girl talking about high school.

Back