• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

good karate techniques

If you want have a karateka teach legitimate karate to children fine.
If you want some one to play shepherd to a bunch of kids while they bounce around don’t call it any specific martial art (or label it your base style)
That’s all I’m saying.

its already being done across the US to great success. you can find a ton of more videos similar to the ones I posted. Soccer mom tkd/karate schools. Is my goal of adding a soccer mom tkd/class to my gym to make money. yes it is. which is the goal of all classes (including muay thai), which is the goal of the business. to make money. If i can make money with soccer mom karate I will add it. and if I can make money with hardcore karate, i will ad it as well. However generally speaking, soccer mom karate is more profitable than hardcore karate.

it has to be labeled karate, we have gone over this already. labeling it moo tie does not work. and my hired karate instructor will make labeling the legit karate class, legit. The kids daycare karate not so much, but calling it kids muay thai day care wont work. It has to be karate. Matter of fact a very old gym i used to train at did something similar, the kids kickboxing class was in a gi with a belt system.

I personally thing he agrees and is why it HAS to be called something other than his primary style t

not cause i dont want to hurt mt reputation, america has already watered down mt to the point of making it karate lol. Its because calling it muay thai just wont work. we have gone over this already.

i agree most karate taught in the US is trash

most karate taught in the us is trash, because thats what sells, its what the people want.

guess what, most the muay thai in america is trash also, because thats what sells, its what the people want.

as much as I would love to run a hardcore muay thai gym, it wont work. my fighters will be 1% of the gym.

Muricans dont want this

Muay-Thai-Styles.png

IMG-1.jpg

they want this

cardio-kickboxing-1066x550.jpg

c700x420.jpg

bs karate schools are apart of american society

Last edited:
Karate taught in the US and most places is absolute trash, children's classes or otherwise. Shincheckin can only raise the quality whether he means to or not.

JohnPJones needs attention badly, this is his way of convincing others and himself that he meets some high standard. People that are actually legit don't try so overly hard like this, they have better things to do and they don't use their energy for this kind of clingy behavior.

i think its because karate guys can sometimes fall into the category of wing chun guys, meaning they spent their life doing something that could possibly fall into the line of bullshit. obviously i dont think karate is bullshit, but there definitley is bullshit karate out there, and because karate has that bad stigma of being bullshit, they are overly sensitive.

They also like to that its going to take 20 years to learn, and I must learn all these katas and how to speak japanese, mawashi geri, etc to do karate............well a guy that has trained muay thai for 20 years doesnt need to learn katas, or how to speak japanese, to learn how to throw snap kicks, axe kicks, etc. and use them effectively in a fight.

just as a guy thats trained karate for 20 years, doesnt need to learn how to speak thai, or the wai khru, to learn how to throw a thai kick or an elbow.

at a high level (top of the mountain) karate and mt are alot alike. Which is why i posted the damn video in the first place that kicked this whole thread off. Effective karate techniques.

its already being done across the US to great success. you can find a ton of more videos similar to the ones I posted. Soccer mom tkd/karate schools. Is my goal of adding a soccer mom tkd/class to my gym to make money. yes it is. which is the goal of all classes (including muay thai), which is the goal of the business. to make money. If i can make money with soccer mom karate I will add it. and if I can make money with hardcore karate, i will ad it as well. However generally speaking, soccer mom karate is more profitable than hardcore karate.

it has to be labeled karate, we have gone over this already. labeling it moo tie does not work. and my hired karate instructor will make labeling the legit karate class, legit. The kids daycare karate not so much, but calling it kids muay thai day care wont work. It has to be karate. Matter of fact a very old gym i used to train at did something similar, the kids kickboxing class was in a gi with a belt system.

not cause i dont want to hurt mt reputation, america has already watered down mt to the point of making it karate lol. Its because calling it muay thai just wont work. we have gone over this already.

most karate taught in the us is trash, because thats what sells, its what the people want.

guess what, most the muay thai in america is trash also, because thats what sells, its what the people want.

as much as I would love to run a hardcore muay thai gym, it wont work. my fighters will be 1% of the gym.

Muricans dont want this

Muay-Thai-Styles.png

IMG-1.jpg

they want this

cardio-kickboxing-1066x550.jpg

c700x420.jpg

bs karate schools are apart of american society

Our gym's head coach is the former UK welterweight champion. He said himself that you don't make most of your money off of your fighters regardless.

Our gym's head coach is the former UK welterweight champion. He said himself that you don't make most of your money off of your fighters regardless.

exactly right.

I have already chased off a bunch of people where I am currently coaching because they cant handle my already watered down version. By default i cut just about everything in half, and most still have a hard time keeping up with that. I aslo stick around after class for additional trainning of myself and anyone is free to join, but everyone takes of after they have completed class, other than the 1 guy that wants to fight. 99% are there just to do a class and tell their friends they train UFC. I am also now realizing why there is such a market for cheap piece of shit equipment. No one is willing to pay for good gear, half the people show up with no gloves, or arent willing to spend more than 20 bucks on a pair of gloves. But the gloves they do buy have a "dragon" on them or whatever.

out of the 3 that said they wanted to fight, only 1 wasnt all talk, and that 1, is slowly fading due to other responsibilities. If my business plan was based off fighters, it would be closed already.

Yes I can’t argue that we are often extremely defensive of our style because of the utter bullshit that is the most prevalent in karate training.

Maybe you’d feel differently I’d 99% of MT gyms were utter BS.

Yes I can’t argue that we are often extremely defensive of our style because of the utter bullshit that is the most prevalent in karate training.

Maybe you’d feel differently I’d 99% of MT gyms were utter BS.

99% of muay thai gyms in the US are utter BS. were in the same boat.

General observation on teaching. Here in North America, we generally think that a high level instructor isn't needed to teach kids and beginner's classes. We see this in pretty much every sport whether it's football, baseball, or martial arts. We get a coach who took some basic intro courses in coaching teaching all the beginner courses, and the pro coach who has all the high level experience only teaches the advanced level students.

I think this is bullshit. Building the foundations is the most important part in developing and getting good at any sport, and you want your best and most experienced coaches handling this critical phase of development. I'll use my sister in law as an example, she was national team swimmer who qualified to represent my country. In swimming, they use a club system, the same coach who trains the national team members also teaches the beginners. You learn all the proper techniques from the start and there's a clear system and progression from the beginner level to the very top. You're not learning things one way and then having to constantly relearn and correct things as you move up the ranks. Everything is done right the first time and builds on what was learned before. You can't do this if the coach doesn't have high level experience in the sport.

Going by various interviews, the club system is also the way the Soviets approached martial arts. The same coaches who were training the national team were the ones who were teaching the Shevchenko sisters when they were kids. Yes natural talent helps, but it's not an accident that they have the best fundamentals and skills around. Also, there's a reason why the former Soviet countries win so many medals at the IFMA world championships every year.

exactly right.

I have already chased off a bunch of people where I am currently coaching because they cant handle my already watered down version. By default i cut just about everything in half, and most still have a hard time keeping up with that. I aslo stick around after class for additional trainning of myself and anyone is free to join, but everyone takes of after they have completed class, other than the 1 guy that wants to fight. 99% are there just to do a class and tell their friends they train UFC. I am also now realizing why there is such a market for cheap piece of shit equipment. No one is willing to pay for good gear, half the people show up with no gloves, or arent willing to spend more than 20 bucks on a pair of gloves. But the gloves they do buy have a "dragon" on them or whatever.

out of the 3 that said they wanted to fight, only 1 wasnt all talk, and that 1, is slowly fading due to other responsibilities. If my business plan was based off fighters, it would be closed already.

Honestly man. Just teach the real shit un-watered down. You're gonna have trouble getting regulars at first but when the word gets out that you've got the real shit in your area you'll find a more loyal serious crew.

General observation on teaching. Here in North America, we generally think that a high level instructor isn't needed to teach kids and beginner's classes. We see this in pretty much every sport whether it's football, baseball, or martial arts. We get a coach who took some basic intro courses in coaching teaching all the beginner courses, and the pro coach who has all the high level experience only teaches the advanced level students.

I think this is bullshit. Building the foundations is the most important part in developing and getting good at any sport, and you want your best and most experienced coaches handling this critical phase of development. I'll use my sister in law as an example, she was national team swimmer who qualified to represent my country. In swimming, they use a club system, the same coach who trains the national team members also teaches the beginners. You learn all the proper techniques from the start and there's a clear system and progression from the beginner level to the very top. You're not learning things one way and then having to constantly relearn and correct things as you move up the ranks. Everything is done right the first time and builds on what was learned before. You can't do this if the coach doesn't have high level experience in the sport.

Going by various interviews, the club system is also the way the Soviets approached martial arts. The same coaches who were training the national team were the ones who were teaching the Shevchenko sisters when they were kids. Yes natural talent helps, but it's not an accident that they have the best fundamentals and skills around. Also, there's a reason why the former Soviet countries win so many medals at the IFMA world championships every year.

Yeah I agree there is that opinion. I began assistant teaching children. Don't get me wrong, I am hot on the fundamentals so I wasn't leading anybody astray but I definitely think that a lot of people start of teaching kids because it's 'easier'. If anything I find teaching kids more difficult because they don't always understand simple things like stepping outside. Gotta factor in attention span, how much they're actually absorbing the information and also the best ways to teach them to their little quirks.

I'd be interested to see some of those Soviet Muay Thai fighters if you have any in particular you can recommend! The Soviet boxing school is what I draw the majority of my approach from when it comes to hands.

Yeah I agree there is that opinion. I began assistant teaching children. Don't get me wrong, I am hot on the fundamentals so I wasn't leading anybody astray but I definitely think that a lot of people start of teaching kids because it's 'easier'. If anything I find teaching kids more difficult because they don't always understand simple things like stepping outside. Gotta factor in attention span, how much they're actually absorbing the information and also the best ways to teach them to their little quirks.

I'd be interested to see some of those Soviet Muay Thai fighters if you have any in particular you can recommend! The Soviet boxing school is what I draw the majority of my approach from when it comes to hands.
ya, people act like teaching kids should be easier because kids don’t deserve the best possible instruction available.

Ya you’re right that the attention span is shit, but a lot of people forget that they’re still in the very early stages of mental development.

99% of muay thai gyms in the US are utter BS. were in the same boat.
im sorry to hear that.
Guess I didn’t realize most MT competitions were glorified games of tag on the national and international level...

im sorry to hear that.
Guess I didn’t realize most MT competitions were glorified games of tag on the national and international level...

Me and Shin are Muay Thai snobs to be fair. We both get mad that there's no emphasis on clinch work, elbow and knee strikes and that muay thai in the US (although I'm from the UK where the scene is a lot better) often amounts to kickboxing bouts where two people hold on to each other while not knowing how to actually FIGHT while holding.

Honestly man. Just teach the real shit un-watered down. You're gonna have trouble getting regulars at first but when the word gets out that you've got the real shit in your area you'll find a more loyal serious crew.

that was my thought, in just these few short months we had alot of people come in and I sort of blew up on popularity locally for exactly that reason, I was holding pads for everyone, basically like you would get for a private training session, but I would do it for everyone during class. However once I started pushing guys more towards partner drills and sparring, they slowly faded. Reality is people just want to come in, take a class and hit pads, just doing that alone should be good i guess because the majority of gyms are just boxercise with no pad work and save the fight training for the few that stick around once gym is "closed". but also worth mentioning that there just isnt enough time to hold pads for everyone when i have a large class which is why i moved to partner drills, but the people dont take the parnter drills serious and do them slow and lazy rather than high intensity. i could talk on and on about it.

The fact you say "kids is where the money is" says enough about your intentions and exactly why you have so many mcdojos in the US.

Mcdojos exist and continue to exist because people pay money for them to exist.

Me and Shin are Muay Thai snobs to be fair. We both get mad that there's no emphasis on clinch work, elbow and knee strikes and that muay thai in the US (although I'm from the UK where the scene is a lot better) often amounts to kickboxing bouts where two people hold on to each other while not knowing how to actually FIGHT while holding.
ya that's still magnitudes better than what the average karate school teaches...basically any where...

Teaching beginners is hard. Not just little kids, but older ones and adults as well. I've had a bit of coaching experience in another sport and found that building the foundation for beginners was a lot harder than refining the skills of higher level competitors.

Svetlana Vinnikova. She gave Antonina Shevchenko a good fight a few years ago and then defeated her last year. I can't find it right now but someone posted videos of this year's entire IFMA tournament. I watched a few hours of it earlier this year and it was pretty much the Thais, former Soviet, and Scandinavian countries winning almost everything.

Teaching beginners is hard. Not just little kids, but older ones and adults as well. I've had a bit of coaching experience in another sport and found that building the foundation for beginners was a lot harder than refining the skills of higher level competitors.

Svetlana Vinnikova. She gave Antonina Shevchenko a good fight a few years ago and then defeated her last year. I can't find it right now but someone posted videos of this year's entire IFMA tournament. I watched a few hours of it earlier this year and it was pretty much the Thais, former Soviet, and Scandinavian countries winning almost everything.

You forgot Sergey adamchuck. He is my favorite.

(Keep in minded I'm not that educated on the Soviet countries, so I don't know if Ukraine is a Soviet country)

Mcdojos exist and continue to exist because people pay money for them to exist.

correct, its what the people want.

and hardcore karate dojos dont exist because people dont pay for them to exist.

i said it before and i am not the only to have said it here.............mcdojos have their place, and arent necessarily a bad thing. specifically if you can use the mcdojo as a starting point, and transition them into more practical training.

Back