Good call by Dana, I'm happy he's in charge.

Jon Fitch anyone? Literally almost the same fighter, same style (in regard to fan response), and was stuck in no mans land as far as contention. Understand it? Yea. Agree with it? Not really. But it's common practice these days.

Lol, i love these self-proclaimed business savants. Yeah, we get it, you guys understand the intricate details of how the UFC operates and you can therefore, with certainty, motivate this or that decision.

I honestly don't get why a promoter has fans and apologists. Why is is that, because he swears a lot or sth? Or is it a WWE Vince Mcmahon kind of thing? Who cares, it's annoying in either case.

And oh:

jbbulletproof.gif

dude... just dont compare dan fucking hardy with Okami... EVERY Okami fight is a snooze fest while Hardy fights win or lose are exciting. I agree with TS Okami is boring. YES he is a top fighter bu he is boring, he is not a drawn and he will never be. Deal with it. The cut was justified.

You're right, he is not exciting like Dan Hardy. But don't fool yourself into thinking that Hardy or any exciting mid tier fighter actually have more drawing power than Okami. In reality, to the casuals, people buy PPVs for the most well known fighters boring or not. Being exciting is just an added perk. Maybe on free tv there is a difference. But if that is the case just let Okami fight on free stuff and cut down his pay. He deserves to fight in the UFC period.

Just face the fact that Dana White has maniacal tencencies. He is full of illogic!

You should be praising Joe Silva he's usually the one to make cuts with Dana intervening every now and then. His words not mine.

This is a business designed to take the best fighters in the world and pit their skills in a cage for our bloodthirsty pleasure to see who is the best. .... for our entertainment. I like the fact that fighters are pressured to preform....to be under constant stress that they could be cut at any moment....JUST LIKE FOOTBALL.

This is how the world works. The UFC is a legitimized sport....not a government funded Olympics.

Lol, the UFC is a business that USES mixed martial arts to turn a PROFIT, nothing more.

Rankings are not independent, commentary is not independent, fighters are not independent and can be turfed practically on a whim, this is an entertainment spectacle promoted by a corporate brand with an aim to maximize profits.

Mixed Martial Arts fighting is the entertainment they provide the punters, but it could just as easily be motorcross, pro wrestling or Chinese checkers if that's where the money was... It is assembled to resemble a sporting league purely as reason to allow continuous revenue and the vaneer of legitimacy. MMA is a sporting pursuit, but what the UFC provides is sports-entertainment, not an actual sport.

Calling it a legitimized sport is hilariously naive

you wont sell winning. you sell only excitement and entertainment.

I wish him the best but I wont miss watching him fight.

No, the NFL doesn't reject good players. Horrible comparison.

No, the NFL doesn't reject good players. Horrible comparison.

the NFL doesn't have to worry about selling expensive PPVs to the fans though and not giving them their money's worth by putting on boring fights.

Football is boring by default and people still watch it!

nfl is team sports. you can sell winning over entertainment for sure!

Let's not include that Marquardt fight into the general statement he's "boring", that fight was beyond boring. You can see his last 4 fights, but in his last 6, he's 3-3, while those wins are by decision, and one against Buddy Roberts, who I don't know who he is.

He was boring, he had his title shot, he got beat by Tim Boetsch, by Jacare, yeah, Jacare is good, but being defeated that way by those two guys and the best you can do is "win boring decision fights", makes you wonder if you get Dana on a bad day, if that resume will keep you employed.

You reached not the overall top, but YOUR top, Okami wasn't getting another title shot, nor winning a title, nor defeating top contenders decisively.

Getting cut is a 50/50.

The lack of hespect for Okami in the OP is unbelievable. If this is how we will treat UFC warriors for now on, I won't be part of this anymore.

People watch to be entertained and excited. MMA is about watching two men beat the shit out of each other for our tittilation.

So why is GSP, Jake Shields, and Michael Bisping still in the UFC?

You people who keep defending the decision by saying "he's not exciting" don't get it, there is more than a few not exciting fighters STILL in the UFC who are shittier than Okami.

Francis Carmont is another one, that Dana even specifically bitched about.

UFC is supposed to be the "Superbowl of MMA". You don't get to superbowls with excitement and entertaining play style, you get to superbowls with wins.

Let's not include that Marquardt fight into the general statement he's "boring", that fight was beyond boring. You can see his last 4 fights, but in his last 6, he's 3-3, while those wins are by decision, and one against Buddy Roberts, who I don't know who he is.

He was boring, he had his title shot, he got beat by Tim Boetsch, by Jacare, yeah, Jacare is good, but being defeated that way by those two guys and the best you can do is "win boring decision fights", makes you wonder if you get Dana on a bad day, if that resume will keep you employed.

You reached not the overall top, but YOUR top, Okami wasn't getting another title shot, nor winning a title, nor defeating top contenders decisively.

Getting cut is a 50/50.

And the guys who lost to Okami are all of the sudden worthy of their spot?

If Okami isn't going to beat top contenders, whatever, but neither will Alan Belcher or Michael Bisping yet they are still hanging around.

There is no excuse anyone can make that makes the decision a rational one. The only thing Dana can say that will not have a stronger argument against it is, "I don't like watching Okami fight and I wanted to cut him because I felt like it".

It's still a sport whether a certain fighter gets cut or not. Dana has the right and power as president of UFC to perceive and determine if a figher is sucky (irregardless of ranking)...and cut him based on judgement and financial biases. Just like a NFL team owner getting rid of Tebow. This type of proactivity will produce higher entertaining fights in the future.

Wouldn't it make more sense to cut dozens and dozens of scrubs who you pay 6k/6k to 3-4 times a year then one guy who you pay a 40/40kish to who is a really good fighter and people actually care about?

It's getting to the point where I never watch the under-cards anymore for UFC events. You can just tell the most of the fighters are bad.

It's moves like this why people think the UFC isn't a legitimate sports league.

How was the cut justified? Having Okami on your roster to fight on your under card would improve the rest of the middleweight roster by helping to weed out contenders and would have no effect what so ever on pay per view buys.

No, because some of the lesser experienced fighters can be fun to watch and add to a viewers enjoyment of an event. Dana and lot of fans dont find okami to be exciting. Hes never going to be a contender again, isnt exciting, and is taking up payroll and airtime that could be used to find and experiment with younger fighters. Same logic as fitch, which was also a good decision imo. Fitch was on the way way down, had been passed by younger and more exciting fighters, and did nothing for the ufc brand.

Id rather that money go towards an inferior fighter like uriah hall, who might have potential to be exciting. They are all on short leashes. If hall doesnt step it up, hes gone too.

Back