Good call by Dana, I'm happy he's in charge.

elbowsandwiches

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
...he has to make all the hard decisions, like cutting Okami.

Okami is like Tim Tebow. Hes decent, but not decent at the same time.

You guys act like the entire NFL football model isn't designed around maximum entertainment value. It's still a sport,....it still skims from the elite college pool, and selects and rejects good players everyday. NFL is a business and makes a poopload of money....exactly the same as UFC.

But people say..."how could Tebow suck?....he was a national champion for christsake??"

This has everything to do with contract/money/leverage and moving deadwood out to make way for better potentials: (young people that may not be as good as Okami right now, but they could be in time.) Okami is not great by any means....hes just been around awhile and now that the sport is becoming more mainstream/legitimized it is revealing more and more that he is fractionally mediocre, is getting old....and costs alot of money.

Hector Lombard is a squat version of Uriah Hall, AND got beat by Boetsch (as did Okami).

Okami got wrecked by Boetsch in that 3rd round, squeeked out a win against Lombard, got annihilated by Silva, and then Souza made Okami wear a dress.

After seeing that Souza fight and how he steamrolled Okami (ranked #3 lol) Okami should have retired right then and there. I was completely turned off. That was not even gatekeeper status. Not even close.

Oh and lets not forget the man can't speak a word of english in a sport that is predominantly watched by english speaking people....and has the most yawn-inspiring fighting style of tripping someone and holding them on the ground for 3 rounds. Weaksauce. I'm sure Okami's entire training camp is nothing but him getting up at 6am and flipping a tire for six hours, eat lunch...back to flipping tires.

Even before I heard of him getting cut, when I saw Okami on a fightcard in the past I would get annoyed.

Dana has legitimized the sport to secure we have the best possible fights in the future. He is moving out fighters that will never come close, to make way for up and comers like Kelvin Gastelum, Rockhold, Rory...and Souza.

-getting old
-can't speak english.
-costs more than worth.
-squeaks out wins with boring style.
-nobody likes and don't wanna pay to see.
-got completely pwned in 1 minute in last fight.

....yeah, I would cut him too. Good call Dana.

This is a business designed to take the best fighters in the world and pit their skills in a cage for our bloodthirsty pleasure to see who is the best. .... for our entertainment. I like the fact that fighters are pressured to preform....to be under constant stress that they could be cut at any moment....JUST LIKE FOOTBALL.

This is how the world works. The UFC is a privately owned-legitimized sport....not a government funded Olympics. If Dana wants to cut somebody, then...please do, I'm sure he has his reasons. They can only have enough people on the roster and it was a business decision to cut Okami. Did you see erick silva submit that dude in his last fight?... thats what I want to see.

Dana White is sending a message to all the fighers that you can be top 10 ranked and still get the boot.....controlling them with fear, which in turn is MORE entertainment for you and me! REJOICE! Prepare yourself for epic battles in the future....this past fight with Jones and Gus are prime examples.

Last edited:
Okami is still a better fighter than a majority of the division. The cut seems ridiculous no matter how you try to justify it.

The NFL is designed around who is the best player for the current team design.

It has nothing to do with excitement, it's about winning. There is a ton of guys who could put some unbelievably explosive hits on someone, but if they're not skilled enough to read the plays, and athletic enough to catch the guy, it means nothing.

You don't think Brock Lesnar could engulf some motherfuckers in the NFL? of course he could, but he doesn't have the elite skill set the other top NFL linemen do, hence he doesn't make the cut. He's never going to be Haloti Ngata, which is why he isn't in the NFL.

Okami is obviously a top 5-10 MW, to cut him and still call your organization the "super bowl of MMA" is ridiculous, especially when there is guys that he's beaten and are shittier than he is still in the UFC.

Comparing the UFC to the NFL makes no sense. Comparing Okami to Tebow isn't even close Tebow was a draw solely on marketability and he was not of the caliber to be an NFL quarterback. You can't compare an individual sport to a team sport doesn't work. Trent Dilfer has a super bowl ring, does that make him better than Dan Marino?

And calling Tim Tebow decent, that's insane, he's an awful qb, good athlete, but awful qb. His national championship was based on him running the option.

There is no shame in losing to Jacare. That dude is a good fighter. I think it was a idiot move. Your sport would be felony fights

Okami is obviously a top 5-10 MW, to cut him and still call your organization the "super bowl of MMA" is ridiculous, especially when there is guys that he's beaten and are shittier than he is still in the UFC.

Okami doesn't belong in the top ten, nor could he currently beat anyone in the top ten. Sonnen is ranked #10 and he beat Okami. Rockhold would whip his ass. Souza might as well have been fighting a toothless bum off the streets.

Okami doesn't belong in the top ten, nor could he currently beat anyone in the top ten. Sonnen is ranked #10 and he beat Okami. Rockhold would whip his ass. Souza might as well have been fighting a toothless bum off the streets.

Someone's obviously just looking for a reaction with this thread. :rolleyes:

Why don't they just put him on free tv all the time like they do with title fights in the lower weight class or put him in prelim fights? He doesn't even get paid 6 figures even if he wins yet someone like bisping gets nearly 400K just for showing up.

Okami might be overrated and also is probably boring but you can't cut people who are 3-1 on their last 4 fights, just because they are boring because it takes away any legitimacy from the " sport " .

Entertaining value is BS this isn't WWE, and Dana and Zuffa have been making many suspect decisions for the last two/three years from undeserved title shots ( Diaz, Sonnen etc. ) to suspect cuts from the roster, and freakshow matches..

I hope they stop this clownerie, as Dana is the first one to insult other orgs when they do this.
If they want to get rid of someone then let them do it in the proper fashion : match him up with people who are supposed to beat him in his div and after two losses axe him !

Okami might be overrated and also is probably boring but you can't cut people who are 3-1 on their last 4 fights, just because they are boring because it takes away any legitimacy from the " sport " .

It's still a sport whether a certain fighter gets cut or not. Dana has the right and power as president of UFC to perceive and determine if a figher is sucky (irregardless of ranking)...and cut him based on judgement and financial biases. Just like a NFL team owner getting rid of Tebow. This type of proactivity will produce higher entertaining fights in the future.

You are comparing Tim Tebow to Okami?

Seriously get the fuck out.

It's still a sport whether a certain fighter gets cut or not. Dana has the right and power as president of UFC to perceive and determine if a figher is sucky (irregardless of ranking)...and cut him based on judgement and financial biases. Just like a NFL team owner getting rid of Tebow. This type of proactivity will produce higher entertaining fights in the future.

Sorry to be "that guy", but what the fuck is irregardless?

Sorry to be "that guy", but what the fuck is irregardless?

According to webster's dictionary...

Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that

You are comparing Tim Tebow to Okami?

I'm saying that a NFL team owner has the right to cut any quarterback (including Tebow, a national champion) for any perceived reason.....even if the QB won his last 3 games.

I would have cut Okami too.

They should have kept Okami and cut Dana.

According to webster's dictionary...

Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that

Don't find his fights that fun to watch but he still beats over 70% of the division, so pretty bullshit

Its just simple business. Cut YUSHIN and let him get at least 1 fight outside of UFC, then sign him afterwards for a cheaper salary.

Its a strategy their working on. He is gonna comeback with cheaper salary thats just the reason to it.

Pretty much what happened to Vera. He got cut and from 100k a fight he was signed again for 40k a fight if I recall correctly.

I look forward to your future ban.

Back