Give your respect to Heath Herring

To answer the questions, after the Brock fight Heath left fighting to break into the movie business. He might even still be doing that. He also helped start up a small promotion in South America somewhere. Seriously.

In terms of him as a fighter, he was my favourite guy back in the day. The guy was pure entertainment. Sloppy entertainment with no trace of TDD, but entertainment nonetheless. His strengths lay in his power, his kicks, and insane sub defense and scrambling ability. Solid cardio, too, especially when he was younger. His weaknesses were wrestlers or just people who went for the double leg on him. His TDD was just so terrible.

By the time he got to the UFC he was pretty banged up after all the wars in Japan. The Jake O'Brien fight he fought hurt and stunk the joint up pretty bad but he bounced back and beat Brad Imes (WHOOPY) and came as close as you can get to KOing a fighter without getting the W against Nog. He also outgrappled Kongo just before Cheick hit his prime. The Lesnar fight was just terrible and it was obvious from the start he was in over his head.

All in all, Heath had an excellent career and should be remembered as being elite for his time. Some of those hairstyles, though...

Some of his biggest achievements were being the first guy to beat Erikson and the first guy to finish Kerr. Both of those wins get undervalued IMHO because Kerr and Erikson didn't fight again for years and weren't nearly as good when they returned.

The killer really was when his cardio and agility went after those knee injuries. You look at the Brock fight and when they get back to their feet its Heath who is gassed after the 1st(just as he was vs Nog) where as back in the day he'd have been the one ready to go.

I wonder if he should've leaned out and cut to 205

I saw the man in person.

* at about 4am in a lovely club called Seamless on the night of UFC 74, also the night of my bachelor party.

Heath is a big boy. Huge frame, broad shoulders, big arms (remember he is 6'4 with a 78 inch reach.)

I've seen some fighters and you think "damn that guy looks big on TV but he is tiny"... not the case with Heath.

Heath is a natural Heavyweight.

Best way to respect Heath is to play Werewolf the Apocalypse!

He had some really solid wins and always came to fight. Not one of my favourite fighters, but I respect the guy and I gotta say I was a bit bummed out when he stopped fighting

F

huge fan of the dude. it looked evident that he was nearing the end of his career, but i was still surprised to see him randomly just walk away. Miss the dude.

Made a good horsey for Brock.

A solid career.

respect-cod-620x350.jpg

F

F.

Well-rounded in skill as in body, thy will is done.

will always remember him for 'the kiss of death'

The knees to Mark Kerr and celebration was one of my fav early Pride moments

its called Red Herring dude. wtf is Heath.

All I know is you love the c**k. It's okay, people are more accepting of that thing these days.

But yeah it's a shit tattoo, but I tend to be blind to them anyway. I just see an abstract pattern.

Wow man, all I said was the tat is awful... Talk about latent tendencies, lol, take it easy...

He will be missed, his only memorable feat for me was when Brock took his soul with that punch that made him do a backflip.

I think Lesnar polarised a lot of people, either giving him too much credit or too little.

I tried to be realistic, and didn't quite believe his coach when he claimed Lesnar would be HW champion - but the coach was right. Not even Cain managed more title defences - the record is still at 2 consecutive title defences.

Lesnar was a beast. Anyone ridiculing him because of his inferior striking is a moron. His strikes were still capable of KOs and his great wrestling, top control, gnp and even submissions were a huge danger for any fighter ever.

Back