Gilbert Melendez wants to avenge Nate Diaz's loss to Benson Henderson

Gil's biggest win is over Clay Guida and that was a long time ago.

Guida is soo overrated it's not even funny, guida would lose to the below fighters that Gil has beaten. They're all better fighters. Guida can lnp a superior fighter that lacks TDD but gets stopped by Roger Huerta.

Aoki
Kawajiri
Thomson

And I know I'm in the minority but I honestly feel Gamebred is a better fighter than Guida

Man, I just don't see an area where Melendez is better. Bendi does it all and he does it all really well. It would be a good fight and alot closer than Diaz/Henderson, but it would still be a decision win for Benson in my opinion.

I agree with JDS's sentiment on avenging teammates losses. That's their fight, not yours.

But who wouldnt want to "avenge" a teamates loss when it involve's you getting a title shot. Its actually disrespectful in my opinion to try to stir the pot to a title shot using your teamates loss as an excuse.

Man, I just don't see an area where Melendez is better. Bendi does it all and he does it all really well. It would be a good fight and alot closer than Diaz/Henderson, but it would still be a decision win for Benson in my opinion.

Hes a better puncher and has sufficient takedown defense and coudl easily get up from under Bendo. And he has the conditioning to do it for 5 rounds. Easy decision.

Guida is soo overrated it's not even funny, guida would lose to the below fighters that Gil has beaten. They're all better fighters. Guida can lnp a superior fighter that lacks TDD but gets stopped by Roger Huerta.

Aoki
Kawajiri
Thomson

And I know I'm in the minority but I honestly feel Gamebred is a better fighter than Guida

Man, this isn't the first time I've questioned whether or not you've watched fights before. Guida has improved exponentially since tht loss to Huerta, and while I dot see him beating Thomson, he could very well beat Kawajiri and maybe Aoki

With Jake, Nate, and (hopefully the fight happens) Nick getting their shots at UFC gold befor him (not counting the ever-controversial Condit fight), Gil could be the last man standing amongst his Scrap Pack brethren.

Man, this isn't the first time I've questioned whether or not you've watched fights before. Guida has improved exponentially since tht loss to Huerta, and while I dot see him beating Thomson, he could very well beat Kawajiri and maybe Aoki

I got divorced over how much mma I watch and train, I'll put my DVD and DVR collection up to yours any day bro ( James Thompson Voice)

Edit: I could easily say the same thing About you, you just said Bendo is a better striker than Gil, that's laughable

Guida was rated in the top 10 of LW... That's severely overrating, he was never a legit top 10er, he only was ranked because he fought in the UFC. Hes 29-13 and I'll breakdown his fights vs notable fighters

He's 3-7 vs top 10 or close to top 10 opponents

Maynard - Loss
Bendo - Loss
Pettis - LnP Win
Florian - Loss
Diego - Loss
Nate - Split win which I disagreed with, Nate was winning the fight on bottom
Huerta- loss
Griffin - loss
Melendez- loss
Thomson - win

Hes a better puncher and has sufficient takedown defense and coudl easily get up from under Bendo. And he has the conditioning to do it for 5 rounds. Easy decision.

Better puncher? Sure. Better striker? No. One thing benson excels at is using kicks to cause damage early and keep his opponent at the range he wants them to be. Gil does have some pretty decent boxing, but he's smaller than Henderson, who will use his kicks to keep Gil at bay, close the gap when he wants to, clinch, strike, attempt takedowns, and impose his game against Gil. Sure Gil has good tdd (though I have yet to see him show it with anyone who has wrestling worth a damn), and he may get back up if Ben takes him down, but it won't matter because Benson will be the one racking up points. Gil would be on the defensive te entire fight, similar to Diaz, except that Gil will be able to get up from te takedown.
I got divorced over how much mma I watch and train, I'll put my DVD and DVR collection up to yours any day bro ( James Thompson Voice)

Edit: I could easily say the same thing About you, you just said Bendo is a better striker than Gil, that's laughable

All that mma and you still think Gil has better striking than Henderson? Hmm. Okay.

Guida was rated in the top 10 of LW... That's severely overrating, he was never a legit top 10er, he only was ranked because he fought in the UFC. Hes 29-13 and I'll breakdown his fights vs notable fighters

He's 3-7 vs top 10 or close to top 10 opponents

Maynard - Loss
Bendo - Loss
Pettis - LnP Win
Florian - Loss
Diego - Loss
Nate - Split win which I disagreed with, Nate was winning the fight on bottom
Huerta- loss
Griffin - loss
Melendez- loss
Thomson - win

Trying to taint a win isn't going to discount what it still was: a win. You probably think Joe Lauzon is a better fighter than Guida right? Well than why wasn't Joe able to beat Pettis? Hmmm.... It makes me wonder, can you name many guys that could beat Pettis the way Guida did?

Well I think Gil will fare better than Nate, because he doesnt have a major flaw in his array of skills like Nate. That said, Bendo is so much better than any of Gil's last opponents, and even though Gil knows about that, Im sure he doesnt know just how much of a gap there will be and I think he will eventually be a bit overwhelmed by Bendo. Lets not forget that if he gets Bendo in April, his last fight will have been a split D win 11 months ago. He'll have to be 10 times better than that to win, while shaking a bit of ringrust. Plus dealing with the famous octagon jitters.

Bendo takes it.

Dude....Melendez has never fought in the UFC, which by default means he sucks and isn't near the level of anyone in the UFC...He needs some UFC wins to really indicate where exactly he is at in his career and his level of talent because at this point it's very trivial. WE simply have no idea how good his skills really are.

Bra this is the UFC. It's not like someone from some other organization can come in and take their title...That would never happen.

I like Gil and would enjoy the fight but would pick Benson to win.

Bendo will win this fight 49-46.

After watching Thompson and Melendez fight, I am more and more convinced.

Back