Gilbert Melendez wants to avenge Nate Diaz's loss to Benson Henderson

not gonna happen. gil lost to josh thompson. ben is gonna outclass gil.

Better wrestlers than Kawajiri?

It was a joke back in the Worldwide forum a few years ago. Some guy was convinced Crusher was going to get laid on like all the other Japanese fighters. I think Kawajiri is a pretty big threat at 145.

Would be a sick fight. I see bendo taking it though.

Allot of people think Gil is better than he is, his probably top 5 but Bendo would beat him.

He'd do better than Nate did, better style match up.

I still think Bendo would be too big for him.

Pretty convenient that Gil didn't have to defend his SF title against an unknown. Gets to start calling out the UFC champion.

Eh, people really shouldn't be writing Melendez out of this matchup. Bendo doesn't have incredible takedowns and Melendez can likely stay on his feet away from where Bendo is most dangerous (top position). Standing, Melendez has some pop and is a good finisher. He'll have to be wary of distance because of Bendo's low kicks but Bendo can be hit. Gil isn't an easy out for anyone at 55.

gil is tough and talented, no doubt, but losing fights and winning close fights with the punk are a far cry from fighting the elite 55ers in the world.

gil's been a big fish in a small pond for quite some time. its not a forgone conclusion that he will be a big fish in the ufc.

Gil has power and a good fight IQ and I would agree he has better boxing. But I am convinced Bendo has all the tools, particularly brains and work ethic, to be great. He improves every fight and looked fantastic against Diaz. Would/will be a good fight.

Well he needs to win, cause how many title shots for the UFC belt has that camp has so far and fail.

Everyone pump your brakes....We've seen what happens when other champs step into the UFC and face top competition

Bendo wins a UD if he goes in without a toothpick. But with a magical toothpick in, he gets a 2nd or 3rd round TKO.

I think Gil lost his last fight vs JT he needs to real it back in, the sharks in the UFC will eat him up I am afraid.

gil is tough and talented, no doubt, but losing fights and winning close fights with the punk are a far cry from fighting the elite 55ers in the world.

gil's been a big fish in a small pond for quite some time. its not a forgone conclusion that he will be a big fish in the ufc.

I think Thomson is just a stylistic struggle more than anything else. No different than Pettis having trouble with Stephens of all people.

Great fight here...though I'd be pulling for Bendo, Gil has just as good a shot in this fight as any. Gil is an elite LW, one of the best out there right now. That said, Bendo via UD.

Pettis isn't having a promise reneged for the 3rd time, especially in favor of a guy coming off a narrow victory to a bum kneed Josh Thomson and then ducking out of the SF finale to preserve his UFC place. Now he's got to win that extra fight in the UFC, against Gray the Bully.

Back