Gilbert Melendez wants to avenge Nate Diaz's loss to Benson Henderson

Pettis isn't having a promise reneged for the 3rd time, especially in favor of a guy coming off a narrow victory to a bum kneed Josh Thomson and then ducking out of the SF finale to preserve his UFC place. Now he's got to win that extra fight in the UFC, against Gray the Bully.

I hope you're right on all counts.
Pettis beating Cerrone, with the fairly recent win over Ben, should be a no brainer Title Fight.
Melendez having to prove himself against Maynard would be poetic justice.

Bendo murks him.

I say give Melendez a fight before he challenges for the belt. Maynard or Varner please.

Gil's biggest win is over Clay Guida and that was a long time ago.

LOL

back then clay was getting smashed by pasta chefs and 1-2 tristan yunker, his only notable win was thomson in a fight where clay was greasier than KFC bargain bucket. clay is not even close to gil's best win.

melendez beats benson via UD, better boxing, better wrestling

I expect Benson to win easily by being the stronger, aggressive, more hard hitting with better timing striker. Plus when Gilbert does finally get Benson in a good position in a few of the rounds, Benson will just get out of it like he usually does and get the better of Gilbert. Benson is the champion for a reason, whatever it takes, intimidation, whatever it is he's going to make Gilbert afraid just like Nate was. Benson is going to keep that belt for a long time to come if Jose Aldo doesn't move up (and defend against Edgar) and even then I see him being too much for even Aldo.

is what i'll say when melendez puts bendo on his butt and GNP's him into oblivion.

Because he's done that to sooooo many people recently.

I doubt Melendez even gets the shot if he has to fight someone for it.

Mitsuhiro Ishida, Josh Thomson, Clay Guida?
An undersized Japanese wrestler, a guy who isn't known for his top notch wrestling although it is good, and Clay Guida how many years ago??? Yeah... I'm still not convinced he's shown the kind of tdd that would make a substantial difference in a fight with Ben.
Taint a win or not, he's 3-7 vs top level opponents, there's no arguing that... And Bendo does NOT have better striking than Gil, you're delusional. Lauzon is definitely a better fighter than Guida, styles make fights, period.

Bendo does have better striking than Gil because he has more complete, diverse, and effective striking. He's no K-1 kickboxer, but he'd beat Melendez in the stand up. And who has Lauzon beat that are better wins than Pettis, Diaz, and Dos Anjos?

People are really disrespecting Benson and what he's accomplished since entering the UFC big time. We should be about to start putting him up there with Jones, GSP, Anderson, and Aldo, yet people are still trying to imagine who's going to stop him (Gilbert, Grey, Pettis,). The sooner the haters accept that Benson is the true champion then they can continue to like their guy but accept that Benson is the man. I might like Jamie Varner but that doesn't mean I'm going to start topics and go on these tirades about how great he is and about how his boxing and wrestling is so much better than the champions. It's just a bandwagon as if being the Strikeforce champion means anything when 90% of the real competition is in the UFC.

Right now Gilbert is just a big fish in a small pond coming off of a not-so-dominant win against Josh Thompson. So compare that to Benson Henderson and you got your winner. I'm not hating on Gilbert Melendez I'm just telling his fans how it is since they are too disrespectful and in love with Gilbert to see that he's just another fighter. They will probably try to tell me "but no he's the greatest ever, #2 in the world, bla bla bla." I've made my point and I stand by it. He's not proven anything until he beats somebody like Jim Miller or Joe Lauzon. Forget about winning the championship. Let's see how he does against Jim Miller first. #Melendezfanboyssuck

Can't read correctly fanboys? That means that you're disrespecting me now.

Because he's done that to sooooo many people recently.

with the way bendo throws his telegraphed kicks, him ending up on his back is more than probable.

I doubt Melendez even gets the shot if he has to fight someone for it.

he shouldnt have to. pettis, diaz and reem were all offered title shots right off the bat. none of those 3 title shots came to fruition due to maynard/edgar draw, reem not wanting to wait and diaz ducking press conferences/GSP injury but the timing for gil/bendo should work out perfectly. SF ends in march, bendo should be about ready to fight again by that time.

melendez via UD.

An undersized Japanese wrestler, a guy who isn't known for his top notch wrestling although it is good, and Clay Guida how many years ago??? Yeah... I'm still not convinced he's shown the kind of tdd that would make a substantial difference in a fight with Ben.

Just because Ishida is a small guy doesn't mean he isn't a beast at Wrestling or ever had trouble taking down LWs. He has (or had) a fast shot, amazing chain Wrestling, variety of takedowns and good top control.

Back