• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GIF of Ward's LoBlo

He was down on 2 of the judges score cards at time of stoppage.
sheepdog had him up. not that that is as important as the actual judges. but yea it wasn't a clear advantage to either at that point. ward was pulling away was going to win that round for sure. but no blow out to that point like it was made to be

low blow or not, the real issue is why didnt Weeks give Kov a standing 8 count? It would give both fighters the benefit of the doubt and offer the opportunity of a more decisive finish.

Kov clearly in trouble but stopped on a low blow! Ref fcked up

low blow or not, the real issue is why didnt Weeks give Kov a standing 8 count? It would give both fighters the benefit of the doubt and offer the opportunity of a more decisive finish.
Thought it was fairly obvious Kova wanted out. He didnt even dispute it until well after.

...because the standing 8 hasn't been a rule in pro boxing for 20 years. I find it mind-boggling that people don't know this.

Kovalev could only have gotten a count in that situation if he'd taken a knee or if Ward had knocked him backwards and the ropes had broken his fall.

Last edited:
Thought it was fairly obvious Kova wanted out. He didnt even dispute it until well after.

There were some debatable blows landed during the exchange near the end, but there is no debate about that shots that hurt Kova the most; the first body shot and the right hand from hell.

I don't think letting Kova continue into the next round would have changed the result other than Ward getting a cleaner finish.

How are some people trying to argue that the punch wasn't low? It's absolutely 100% low. It's not close or borderline either.

How are some people trying to argue that the punch wasn't low? It's absolutely 100% low. It's not close or borderline either.
Commentators and the ref disagree with you.

Ward got him solid to the body many times in the fight and Kovalev tried to milk it. In the last round Ward caught him clean to the head and clean to the body. Kovalev was hurt and went to the corner and bent over as if hit below the belt even though Ward missed. Ward then hits him below the belt. Kovalev was done by then. Kovalev was a long reigning champ before so they should have given him time to recover. Ward was winning. Ward was getting the better of Kovalev. I think Ward would have won eventually by KO at that point.

The very last punch was low. The one before was so quick I don't think it landed properly. He got hit solid to the body (fair) and to the head(fair). He went to the ropes hurt and sits down. Andre catches right on the "B" of his trunks. The last blow was low. I don't think that is what made him sit down on the ropes. He was done. They should have given him a bit of time to recover because he was a champion and it is a championship fight.

It's another classic case of Ward winning but gaining no fans, and also tarnishing his prestige in the process. I really don'the think he has to fight dirty but he so frequently takes the low road when he has the talent to not do so. It is, frankly, base and uninspired.

His dong-clingers will defend him tirelessly, but the fact is that he won in yet another bout where he is fudging the rules. I accept that he won and was probably on his way to turning the fight around, even being able to manage a win without giving Kovalev a vasectomy with his fists. But he did low blow. Enough that it stood out. That's a true statement. Fans of the fighter always overlook their unsaintly methods because, in their minds, the ends justify the means. But Ward's perfect record is blemished by a frequent bending of the rules. Does every fighter to some extent do this, yes, a bit perhaps? Do some more than others? Ward, err, I mean, yes. There's a reason that there have been numerous comparisons to Ward as a young Bernard Hopkins.

If Ward just fought clean then he'd have way more fans and would probably be more of a star. It also doesn't help that he dragged himself through years of arbitration against Goosen, his manager.

The purple prose of sour grapes.

I wish you'd have as critical an eye on Kovalev, who ruined whatever reputation he may have had going in. Andre Ward is the only one being put under the microscope. I'm starting to believe the Ward camp's narrative that people are out to get him and he isn't getting a fair shake. I used to dismiss those claims as self-pity. Not anymore.

Last edited:
Too bad he had already taken 2-3 low blows at that point.
2-3 low blows?

You dont know that, is there another camera angle shot that shows more low blows other the one thats on this thread?

And im talking about the 3 straight punches Ward threw prior to the stoppage

Weeks ruined the match and his reputation.
This one truly does fall on Weeks. Ward had the dude hurt, then stages attacks on his groin. Weeks should have paused the fight, let Kovalev recover, dealt with Ward, and resumed the fight so Ward could get the clean win. But Kovalev takes a couple of solid hooks to his sore pills, reacts like anybody would, and Weeks swoops in and...waves it off? This is some Keith Hackney shit. TKO (groin strikes).

Learn the rules.

I'm making a thread because of how ignorant people are.

Back