Georgia Man arrested for child cruelty

story says the kid had problems at school and did the same shit when they tried homeschooling.

sounds like the father was trying something, anything to teach the child to shape up. what he did was a lot more constructive than kicking his ass or kicking his ass out. i wouldn't know what to do to get a bad kid back on track.

btw i've been around here a while, and this is not a site full of hard asses. some of you guys with the whole "the world is getting soft, but i'm one of the tough guys" are so full of shit

story says the kid had problems at school and did the same shit when they tried homeschooling.

sounds like the father was trying something, anything to teach the child to shape up. what he did was a lot more constructive than kicking his ass or kicking his ass out. i wouldn't know what to do to get a bad kid back on track.

btw i've been around here a while, and this is not a site full of hard asses. some of you guys with the whole "the world is getting soft, but i'm one of the tough guys" are so full of shit

Hit the nail on the head... The only thing worse than someone that would actually do this to their kid is someone that doesn't even have the balls to do that but gloats about doing something similar on an internet sub-forum.

The 3am thing might be a bit overboard but how the fuck is the dad in trouble with the law for this shit?

God forbid his son learns a lesson about responsibility and consequences. Not like that kinda shit applies in the real world these days.

I guess society wants parents to coddle their children for fucking up with no sense of self accountability. I'm sure there's some middle aged woman who lives in a bubble with her psychology degree from some shit state college, talking 'bout, "the dad was a bully."

Die.

I think its a joke that this guy was arrested. United States is becoming a cookie dough country.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-making-carry-23-pound-paving-slab-miles.html

A father has been arrested for child cruelty after punishing his teenage son by making him carry a 23-pound paving slab for miles.
Military veteran Charlie Mayes, 40, from Douglasville, Georgia, told police he used military-style punishment because his son watched too many videos and didn't do his chores and school work.
According to Police Sergeant Todd Garner, of Douglasville Police, the 16-year-old boy was made to carry the paving slab several times over a three-day period.
He was sometimes made to get up and carry the slab for miles at around three o'clock in the morning.
A pizza delivery driver called Joshua Burnette alerted police after spotting the struggling teenager on one of his punishment walks.
He told Douglas County Sentinel: 'I got to work and saw him there and I asked if he was alright.
'He was sweating, dirty and was obviously tired. He asked if I could give him a ride so I checked with my boss and he said it was okay.
'He picked up this massive brick and asked if he could put in in the truck.'
Burnette then spotted the boy a few hours later walking with the slab in temperatures reaching 90F.

OK I think the 3:00 AM part is a little excessive but since when is a 23 pound slab considered massive? I don't want to make this into "in my days" but if I didn't do my chores I would have gotten a much more tougher punishment than this. At age 16 I could have carried a 23 pound slab all day long. 4' 2" is small for a 16 year old but still.

Oh you better believe that's a paddlin'

On the other hand there were other times I got into trouble and he just made me work out in the yard all day pulling weeds and digging ditches. That was a far more effective punishment in that it taught me the value of hard work and didn't really cause resentment.

Damn doing yardwork was punishment for you? That's how I spent most of my saturdays as a young 'un. If I had a friend spend the night they were also doing yardwork with me saturday morning.

The 3am thing might be a bit overboard but how the fuck is the dad in trouble with the law for this shit?

God forbid his son learns a lesson about responsibility and consequences. Not like that kinda shit applies in the real world these days.

I guess society wants parents to coddle their children for fucking up with no sense of self accountability.I'm sure there's some middle aged woman who lives in a bubble with her psychology degree from some shit state college, talking 'bout, "the dad was a bully."

Die.

I have to agree. I can't stand how teenagers are considered children these days.

And that's another major issue.

Not necessarily.

I have friends whose dads were very strict/harsh with them and they still respect them.

Stockholm Syndrome will do that to you.

As for the original story I'm guessing there were several warnings for other punishments before this one ended up in an arrest. Usually it would be a visit from local social service types with warnings long before an arrest is made. Give it time it'll come out that the Dad has a history.

Well, in Finland police just arrested a woman who had hid 5 (yes, five) dead babies in her basement.

And to top it off
-she had only recently moved so she obviously had taken the stinky bodies with her when she moved
-she's married and has one child (that's alive)
-she says she didn't kill those babies, they were all dead when they were born. Honest.

I'm fine with them arresting her tbh.

PS. I would have guessed "paving slab" was an insult. You live, you learn.

You know this case happened about 200 meters from where I live and I also knew the woman in question. Would've never believed she was a nut. :(

I think its a joke that this guy was arrested. United States is becoming a cookie dough country.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-making-carry-23-pound-paving-slab-miles.html

A father has been arrested for child cruelty after punishing his teenage son by making him carry a 23-pound paving slab for miles.
Military veteran Charlie Mayes, 40, from Douglasville, Georgia, told police he used military-style punishment because his son watched too many videos and didn't do his chores and school work.

OK I think the 3:00 AM part is a little excessive but since when is a 23 pound slab considered massive? I don't want to make this into "in my days" but if I didn't do my chores I would have gotten a much more tougher punishment than this. At age 16 I could have carried a 23 pound slab all day long. 4' 2" is small for a 16 year old but still.

I suppose you support abuse because you came from an abusive household. It's a sad cycle.

Damn doing yardwork was punishment for you? That's how I spent most of my saturdays as a young 'un. If I had a friend spend the night they were also doing yardwork with me saturday morning.

lol It's funny seeing how fucked up other peoples parents can be. Making your child's friend do yardwork?! I hope they paid him for his services.

Yardwork was always par for the course, it would just get harder if it was meant to be punishment. And this was every day not just Saturdays.

I bet less than 5% of kids do yardwork these days. They would probably call social services or something.

he's only teaching the kid to dislike him imo.

It's better to dislike your dad, and be raised with work ethic, morals, and understanding that there are consequences for your actions than to be raised a lazy, entitled, brat.

We have enough of the latter in this country. Let the dad go.

4"2' is very small for a 16 years old, the shortest dude in my high school was taller than that by like 5 inches. The main problem is not the nature of the punishment in itself, even though it's stupid, but the fact that the kid is probably very physically weak.

This is either a creative discipline, or abuse. I think it would fall into the abuse category if the father was drinking and just decided to drag the boy out of bed and make him walk with the slab.

Not gonna lie, it surprised me this happened in the south. I was raised in Alabama, and southern people in general don't tend to be as soft as people in other areas. And to anyone who considers this "abuse," you're out of your damn mind.

Making a kid go on 3am punishment hikes with weight is kind of abusive. You want your kid to do home work? Try sitting his ass in a chair and watching him do it. Some real responsibility and accountability.

Back