Georgia Man arrested for child cruelty

Wrath621

Account Retired
@Silver
Reaction score
Man arrested for child cruelty after punishing his teenage son by making him carry 23-pound paving slab for miles

I think its a joke that this guy was arrested. United States is becoming a cookie dough country.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-making-carry-23-pound-paving-slab-miles.html

A father has been arrested for child cruelty after punishing his teenage son by making him carry a 23-pound paving slab for miles.
Military veteran Charlie Mayes, 40, from Douglasville, Georgia, told police he used military-style punishment because his son watched too many videos and didn't do his chores and school work.

OK I think the 3:00 AM part is a little excessive but since when is a 23 pound slab considered massive? I don't want to make this into "in my days" but if I didn't do my chores I would have gotten a much more tougher punishment than this. At age 16 I could have carried a 23 pound slab all day long. 4' 2" is small for a 16 year old but still.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that the 3 am walk is a little dangerous, and it's prob not a great idea to do in 90 degree heat, unless you have adequate water.

However, I don't think it's child cruelty.

TS, it reminds me of this story from Hawaii:

judge sentenced a Hawaii man to one year of probation and a $200 fine for making his son walk a mile home from school as a form of discipline.

Judge Kathleen Watanabe called the punishment "old-school" and no longer appropriate, the Garden Island newspaper reported Thursday

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/29/robert-demond-probation_n_5415095.html

That story is even more ridiculous IMO.

It's not that it's heavy, it's unwieldy. Probably also absorbs a lot of heat. I'm not sure how I feel about this yet.

Well, in Finland police just arrested a woman who had hid 5 (yes, five) dead babies in her basement.

And to top it off
-she had only recently moved so she obviously had taken the stinky bodies with her when she moved
-she's married and has one child (that's alive)
-she says she didn't kill those babies, they were all dead when they were born. Honest.

I'm fine with them arresting her tbh.

PS. I would have guessed "paving slab" was an insult. You live, you learn.

It's not that it's heavy, it's unwieldy. Probably also absorbs a lot of heat. I'm not sure how I feel about this yet.

We've got time bro. Just check back in when you're ready.

I'm not sure it is exactly criminal but it seems a bit silly and excessive. Not to mention counter productive. I dont really feel like he should be charged but im ok with DHR saying he can't do that.

If you can go through the trouble of making the kid carry a stone, why not just tell him to do his chores?

he's only teaching the kid to dislike him imo.

I don't agree with that. I am thankful for all the discipline my dad gave me. Taught me a lot of lessons that I still use to this day.

That kid is going resent his father when hes older

Wouldnt be surprised if he tries to KO his old man 5-10 years from now

That is NOT child cruelty.

If you disagree I have no choice but to believe you're too soft to last in this world.

Watching too many videos, get the slab!

I think you gotta give parents a pretty wide berth when it comes to punishing their kids, and this seems a little bit borderline. Given the heat though, maybe it was potentially dangerous. It's more striking to me for how foolish a punishment it is for the act he's described. At sixteen it's important to instill work ethic, but this seems like, if effective, the best this could do is teach the kid to be afraid to act on his own without his fathers approval. This kid will need to enter the workforce soon.

I'm not sure it is exactly criminal but it seems a bit silly and excessive. Not to mention counter productive. I dont really feel like he should be charged but im ok with DHR saying he can't do that.

If you can go through the trouble of making the kid carry a stone, why not just tell him to do his chores?

IMO, if you ask your son to do chores and he doesn't do them, your son now has chores plus punishment.

That's how you instill discipline in someone, and help them understand that your choices have consequences.

If the kid had to do more than one walk than he's a slow learner.

That's not cruelty, it's a workout.

I think it's more effective and easier to restrict priveleges than to try to actively punish your kid. I can take away your car keys, N64, TV, iPad or whatever a lot easier than make you walk 3 miles with a slab and it has the same result.

I don't agree with that. I am thankful for all the discipline my dad gave me. Taught me a lot of lessons that I still use to this day.

it's a bit ridiculous to me. there are ways to effectively instill discipline that don't involve doing this crap in the middle of the night. not sure i think the guy needs to be arrested tho.

I think it's more effective and easier to restrict priveleges than to try to actively punish your kid. I can take away your car keys, N64, TV, iPad or whatever a lot easier than make you walk 3 miles with a slab and it has the same result.

I don't know that you can say that is a universal truth. Not all people respond to the same thing. It's possible that one kid might respond to a lecture, another needs privileges revoked, and another might need some sort of discipline like this.

I do not want the .gov telling me how to discipline my child.

Back