Georgia Man arrested for child cruelty

My punishment when I was a teenager was that I had to labor for my dads masonry company. Carrying blocks all day, mixing mortar, stuff like that.

That probably sucked. That probably taught you some good lessons too.

he's only teaching the kid to dislike him imo.

well shit, you could say that if he grounded the kid for staying out all night

the job of a parent is not to be liked. it is to raise a child. the gov has no business in this.

it's a bit ridiculous to me. there are ways to effectively instill discipline that don't involve doing this crap in the middle of the night. not sure i think the guy needs to be arrested tho.

lol, so you think you know how to parent the world? why not just start up your own business giving lessons on discipline and such.

i love this new shit of thinking that everyone has to do shit the way you would.

you want to discipline a kid? then go fuck a fat old bitch and have a baby like everyone else.

Kid needs to get on some PEDs

I do not want the .gov telling me how to discipline my child.

there is a difference between the government setting limits on what you can or cannot do and them telling you exactly how to discipline your child.

Bah. Kid sounds like a massive wuss in need to some correction.

When I was 16 I worked in a steel mill all summer.

Kids these days....

It's definitely a tricky thing to approach. Balancing the autonomy of the family with the societal urge to protect children, it's instinctive to want to defer to the parents, and I certainly agree that it is the right call in most cases, and even this case. I'm personally unsure of where the line should fall in terms of the societal need trumping family autonomy, but I think a clearheaded an honest assessment of both a need and benefit related to some government intervention is a step towards locating that line. I feel like this case sort of illustrates that uncomfortable middle ground between the instinctive polarized responses to cases of prosecuted child endangerment.

Government intervention is an unusual thing. It is actually what caused this father to assume this unusual(not cruel) punishment for his son. Had the father never been drafted or choose a life in the military he may never had felt the need to punish his son with pointless physical exercise. Exercise that did nothing to aid in another government requirement, school.

I cannot disagree with the suggestions you have made. This is the reality we were born into and through much compromise we can all come to some agreement. Even so because of the myriad of cultures home to the US a middle ground for the appropriate method of raising a children may never be seen.

Lots of people itt who think the way they would parent is the only acceptable way.

Before clicking, I was 100% certain this man would be in the Military. One thing that always struck me about going around on a Military base was how awful people were to their kids. It almost became something of a joke with myself and the people I knew... And not even the Military Individual, but often times the Spouse as well. They would treat their children as if they were in the Military as well... I find that reprehensible. Let kids be kids. It's fine to set boundaries and enforce discipline, but something like this is absurd. I hope he gets made an example of...

I have the utmost respect for all Military, past and present... But I don't understand what appears to be an epidemic of child abuse that I've seen reported, in the news or firsthand. Blows my mind.

Really? I always saw the complete opposite. I had a 1st sergeant who had a kid that was an annoying little skater punk with hoop earings. The dude was "old school" hardcore. I once saw this first sergeant rip a tv out of the wall in the duty hut and smash it before drop kicking a plate of some guy's pancakes so hard that they stuck to the wall.

The dude was a dick, but let his kid grow up relatively normal. That's just one example.

I don't mind the new pussified culture. When you are a normal, masculine man the benefits outweigh the cons of annoyance living in such a society. It's never been easier to pick up girls because everyone is so PC and limp wristed

23 lbs. ?

What a puss. I would have made that midget carry around a backpack w/ at last 40lbs. of rocks and other crap.

The only thing I disagree w/ is the 3 in tha morning deal. That doesn't make any sense. Don't the kids have curfews? WHere is the Po-leece, or neighborhood security?

Neither punishment fits the crime.

That slab thing @ 3am and in 90 degrees: not teaching him anything.
Arresting a man for this: unnecessary drama.

TS, it reminds me of this story from Hawaii:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/29/robert-demond-probation_n_5415095.html

That story is even more ridiculous IMO.

Robert Demond Gets Probation For Making His Son Walk A Mile Home From School?

I guess kids in the year 2100 will look like this.

blobfish.jpg

No need to walk, Taxi at your doorstep straight to your school back and fore. There should be escalator to 2nd level as well, or the Judge should send the parents to jail for abuse. Pretty sure washing the dish after lunch/dinner is jail time as well.

Good work human!

This is what's considered child cruelty now? I was expecting something horrible when I opened this thread and was dreading reading.

This father is likely furious that he's been arrested, and will no doubt get a lot of support, but walking, exhausted, under load, AND ALONE on the side of the street at 3 AM... If this kid had of been hit by the delivery driver who spotted him the vast majority would be willing to come out and say how absolutely stupid this was.

And it was stupid.

Yeah, gotta agree with this. I think there's a fine line between effective punishment and frustrating/ineffective punishment that just gets the kid to hate you.

For example, my dad beat me with a baseball bat one time growing up.

He later apologized but I resented him for that. I'm not sure if I resent him using a belt the rest of the times. I no doubt deserved it but I didn't get into half the trouble most kids did at my age. With that said the beatings could get pretty violent, lol.

On the other hand there were other times I got into trouble and he just made me work out in the yard all day pulling weeds and digging ditches. That was a far more effective punishment in that it taught me the value of hard work and didn't really cause resentment.

My dad and I still get along for the most part today. I guess I do resent him for some shit growing up but at the same time it made me not a bitch and toughened me up, so I am fucking thankful for that. Truly, I am.

It's borderline.. I would say it will get dropped to something and the father will be told not to do it again and be watched closely. Instead of making him do that crap, he should have just made him do his HW and the chores.

Now this is a cruel father

And I'm kind of sick for laughing

Back