• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Georges St Pierre vs BJ Penn II January 31 2009

History fight indeed, that also spawned tons of Bj fan conspiracies about greasing etc, that someone cant even let go even at 2021. GSP looked unbeatable this fight, and perfectly showed difference in hard work between fighters, GSP improved tremendously, while BJ was the same guy from 1st fight.

Was pulling for gsp. Was one of the events that I’ve been most excited for ever in my time as an mma fan. Thought the result was exactly what I thought would happen but I was surprised by gsp seeming angry going into the fight didn’t see that often and was shocked bj’s corner stopped it.

What is there to say? BJ had been a dominant force for almost a decade, GSP took his torch and ran with it, and BJ went back a division to where he belonged in the first place.

BJ didn't get better after their first fight 3 years prior, and GSP got lots better in that time.

I rooted hard for BJ, figured he'd probably lose, and was right.

Still a fan of both. Glad I was able to watch them both in their prime.

I don't consider it as much as a superfight in competitiveness when the higher weight champion is a wrestler. GSP vs Silva would've topped it if we could of got that before the Weidman fight. If they weren't friends I'd love Usman vs Izzy for example, would be the best superfight we could get today. Jones vs Ngannou would be pretty close too.

Knew GSP would win but BJs confidence made me tune in.

Another reason he can never be GOAT

Taps, Grease Gate, Ducking, Not enough finishes

he was good for his time and a very nice guy but then again so was Randy Couture

How many times did you say you’ve been banned? Twenty? Lol.

Is this the fight that the dead hooker "mysteriously" found outside BJs hotel door the night before the fight?

When people talk about BJ Penn's downfall they don't talk about this fight enough.

This beating took years off his career.

But people seem to forget it because afterwards BJ went back to LW and had two of his best performances ever before losing to Frankie and then going to shit completely.

I believe that if BJ never got pummeled and stayed at LW instead, then he would have stretched his prime out for another 2-3 years.

People forget just how brutal that beating from GSP was. I get second hand CTE just thinking of it.

Team Penn .... but I hated the fight .....Little natural Penn had zero chance.....Gsp had no issues fighting Penn, but bitched out of Anderson fight

That mod banned my first account simply because I pointed out the irony of Penn quitting in the rematch.
There have been some touchy mods here over the years. I think I was lurking on this forum during this event because my account had been banned for making an "edgey" photoshop, so I just kind of skimmed for breaking news and such for years instead of posting cause I was miffed, lol.

I do remember Greasegate and "to the death," etc. BJ was dumb to stop training with Marv Marinovich. I don't think he trained with Marv for that one. Wasn't that the night Jones suplexed Bonnar too? Man, some of those old events were just stacked and action packed. I can't remember if GSP was already twisting his nipples at this point, but I think that was in effect also.

I don't consider it as much as a superfight in competitiveness when the higher weight champion is a wrestler. /QUOTE]
Penn beat the bigger wrestler in Hughes when they first fought so this was never a factor for me. Its just that GSP is better than Hughes and Penn,thats the deal

Wanted BJ to win

BJ was basically a natural 145 fighter going up against the consensus (not my) GOAT at 170

GSP may be ahead of BJ in GOAT talk, but there is little doubt in my mind who is the better fighter p4p at their peak

Imagine GSP being the guy that could make 145 and going up against BJ being a natural 170 guy with shredded body fat?

He would be emasculated and wouldn't belong in the same cage

A fantastic take that will no doubt light a fire under GSP nuthuggers.

It should be considered an embarassment that the first fight alone was so close between a jacked, ripped 170lber and a natural 145lber and the same goes for Matt Huges losing to BJ.

This is the reason I don't drool over Jones like the entire MMA community does, I expect a half decent guy with a ridiculous size advantage to beat the shit out of midgets, it should be a given unless your name is Struve of course.

A fantastic take that will no doubt light a fire under GSP nuthuggers.

It should be considered an embarassment that the first fight alone was so close between a jacked, ripped 170lber and a natural 145lber and the same goes for Matt Huges losing to BJ.

This is the reason I don't drool over Jones like the entire MMA community does, I expect a half decent guy with a ridiculous size advantage to beat the shit out of midgets, it should be a given unless your name is Struve of course.
natural 145er is such horseshit. Look at his fight at 145. He looked like shit!

Back