• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Georges St Pierre vs BJ Penn II January 31 2009

Wanted BJ to win

BJ was basically a natural 145 fighter going up against the consensus (not my) GOAT at 170

GSP may be ahead of BJ in GOAT talk, but there is little doubt in my mind who is the better fighter p4p at their peak

Imagine GSP being the guy that could make 145 and going up against BJ being a natural 170 guy with shredded body fat?

He would be emasculated and wouldn't belong in the same cage
FUCKIN FAIRY TALES

Man gtfo with this natural 145 bullshit. He was at this peak condition at 155 lbs. he looked like shit at 145. Emaciated Tippy toes

0rLpF.gif

They should be 1-1 as BJ won the 1st fight but was robbed

I would’ve favored BJ in the trilogy also
How did he win the first fight? He won the first round with an eyepoke and an uppercut. Then did nothing rounds 2-3 except get taken down and gnp'd...it shocks me how people think it was even a close fight, let alone a bj win.

FUCKIN FAIRY TALES

Man gtfo with this natural 145 bullshit. He was at this peak condition at 155 lbs. he looked like shit at 145. Emaciated Tippy toes

He had high body fat compared to GSP

If the sport was the way it is now, he would have no business being in there with GSP

Imagine Holloway going up to fight Usman and being ultra competitive and beating Colby? That's what Penn did with GSP and Hughes

He fought his best years at 155 like Edgar, but he was never a big guy at 155 and could always make 145 if he wanted

He had high body fat compared to GSP

If the sport was the way it is now, he would have no business being in there with GSP

Imagine Holloway going up to fight Usman and being ultra competitive and beating Colby? That's what Penn did with GSP and Hughes

He fought his best years at 155 like Edgar, but he was never a big guy at 155 and could always make 145 if he wanted
But it wasnt nowadays. Penn won the title at 170 so of course he is going to try to chase the big money fights that were there for him. The instant title shots he simply had to just ask for. I didnt say he was a big 155er but he was at his best at 155. He looked like dog shit at 145. You knew he would lose soon as he walked the aisle against Edgar in the 3rd fight.

And furthermore,GSP isnt your 170 lb goat???!?!? Are you mad??

BlissfulWigglyDuckbillcat-size_restricted.gif

But it wasnt nowadays. Penn won the title at 170 so of course he is going to try to chase the big money fights that were there for him. The instant title shots he simply had to just ask for. I didnt say he was a big 155er but he was at his best at 155. He looked like dog shit at 145. You knew he would lose soon as he walked the aisle against Edgar in the 3rd fight.

And furthermore,GSP isnt your 170 lb goat???!?!? Are you mad??

BlissfulWigglyDuckbillcat-size_restricted.gif

Usman is my GOAT at 170

How did he win the first fight? He won the first round with an eyepoke and an uppercut. Then did nothing rounds 2-3 except get taken down and gnp'd...it shocks me how people think it was even a close fight, let alone a bj win.

Even GSP has said “that fight was very competitive until the very end, very, very tight fight”

I would have scored it a draw or probably a GSP win but he really squeaked out the 2nd and third round. He slammed BJ at one point but his other takedowns were very close and he also got taken down himself, did nothing on the ground.

The first round both guys went for jab about 20 times and BJ beat him to the punch every time. GSP even tailored his game plan in the second fight to take away Penn’s hand speed.

Big fight. GSP by 4th round doctor stoppage. (Doctor being BJ's cornerman of course)

I was so hyped for this and wanted BJ to win. Their 1st fight was still the better one.

Never liked BJ Penn, so GSP all the way!

Wanted BJ to win

BJ was basically a natural 145 fighter going up against the consensus (not my) GOAT at 170

GSP may be ahead of BJ in GOAT talk, but there is little doubt in my mind who is the better fighter p4p at their peak

Imagine GSP being the guy that could make 145 and going up against BJ being a natural 170 guy with shredded body fat?

He would be emasculated and wouldn't belong in the same cage

Imagine a fat Hawaiian guy knocking out BJ in a bar fight....oh wait, that happened.

Meh GSP cheated and due to his popularity and PPV strength it was never properly addressed....I mean he was literally caught red handed greasing and was known for taking oil baths before fights...many other fighters said the same thing about GSP (greasy). But he got away with it and got the W.

I've grown to appreciate BJ's spirit much more over time, maybe even sympathize with how badly his career spiraled, but I strongly disliked him back then. He came off as a douche and GSP is GSP, so it's really hard to not like him.

I enjoyed every moment of that mauling.

I'd say it's still top 5 p4p most talent ever in a single fight. Maybe even #1.

Meh GSP cheated and due to his popularity and PPV strength it was never properly addressed....I mean he was literally caught red handed greasing and was known for taking oil baths before fights...many other fighters said the same thing about GSP (greasy). But he got away with it and got the W.
Never properly addressed? BJ, in true Baby J fashion, literally went crying to his mom and tried to sue GSP. He got laughed out of court. Did you forget that?
<{MingNope}>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SporterGo
Back