• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Georges St Pierre vs BJ Penn II January 31 2009

For some reason I didn't like Penn, I knew he was a bamf, but something about him i didn't like and I was a fan of GSP so I was practically singing oh Canada when the bout was announced

Yeah it was the 1st Edgar fight where he lost a close decision that seemed to do him in. Probably should've gotten the nod as champion, but it is what it is. And, he was never the same after that. Edgar won the rematch decisively, and it was all downhill ever since. Think he only won 1 fight after that, which was against past prime Hughes.
Yup,
Moved up
Ko'd Hughes
Draw with Fitch
Lost to Diaz and went on his downward spiral.

I was looking forward to it because they were both generational talents and their first fight had been close (anyone who claims it was a robbery listened to way too much to the stoned out "unofficial scorer" the UFC used at the time)

While watching the 24/7 style hype show I really started to favor GSP. I understand that those things are not reality but GSP came across as a highly disciplined martial artist while BJ was jogging around cutting WME promos.

By the time the fight arrived, I really favored GSP but I still thought it would be competitive.

The fight itself was kinda meh. It was an absolute master class by GSP and from that perspective, it was really impressive. But I had hoped for some actual competition rather than just BJ getting beaten up until he quit.

History fight indeed, that also spawned tons of Bj fan conspiracies about greasing etc, that someone cant even let go even at 2021. GSP looked unbeatable this fight, and perfectly showed difference in hard work between fighters, GSP improved tremendously, while BJ was the same guy from 1st fight.

If it had been a close fight I could have given some credibility to the greasegate.
But given just how much of a one sided, utter beating that thing was, and on all possible levels, I dismissed it, as any grown man should.

I was rooting for GSP. He’s always been one of my favorites.

If anyone remembers that era, BJ had the most annoying fan base on here at the time. They were so obnoxious I thought we would never see a fan base that bad again. Conor came along though and his fanbase blew that out of the water

I was rooting for GSP. He’s always been one of my favorites.

If anyone remembers that era, BJ had the most annoying fan base on here at the time. They were so obnoxious I thought we would never see a fan base that bad again. Conor came along though and his fanbase blew that out of the water
Yes the BJ Fanbase back then was all about 1 thing..

"Motivated and in shape BJ Penn is unbeatable"

Any loss was about him gassing out.. His skill set was unmatched. According to them..

Wanted BJ to win

BJ was basically a natural 145 fighter going up against the consensus (not my) GOAT at 170

GSP may be ahead of BJ in GOAT talk, but there is little doubt in my mind who is the better fighter p4p at their peak

Imagine GSP being the guy that could make 145 and going up against BJ being a natural 170 guy with shredded body fat?

He would be emasculated and wouldn't belong in the same cage
FamousOnlyBackswimmer-size_restricted.gif

Imagine GSP being the guy that could make 145 and going up against BJ being a natural 170 guy with shredded body fat?

He would be emasculated and wouldn't belong in the same cage

BJ was crazy talented, but his biggest failing was work ethic. A lot of his jumping around weight classes was as much about his lack of desire to train hard, and diet as it was him being such a fearless fighter..

This dude literally sat on a beach for 5 days when the UFC Primetime crews were filming for the GSP rematch.. Then complained how he was portrayed as "Lazy" on the show LOL!!

So many BJ fans gave shit to GSP for tapping to strikes, so it was awesome seeing GSP make BJ quit like that.

Yeah it was the 1st Edgar fight where he lost a close decision that seemed to do him in. Probably should've gotten the nod as champion, but it is what it is. And, he was never the same after that. Edgar won the rematch decisively, and it was all downhill ever since. Think he only won 1 fight after that, which was against past prime Hughes.

I think BJ underestimated Frankie. Nobody knew that Frankie would be one of the toughest SOB’s alive at the time. When BJ had some problems with him and then lost the rematch, his mind couldn’t accept it, and he didn’t adapt. Add to this, that fighters were learning more about MMA in general.

I don't say anyone should have done anything.

Bj wanted to fight at 170 because there were bigger fights,more motivating fights to have. 155 wasn't as developed yet. He showed that skill wise it translated. It was really just his cardio and will to win when the going got tough that was the problem. Bj has the right skills you want to have to move up. Good chin,heavy hands,awesome tdd. It's just that gsp had gotten better and bj remained the same. It was still worth taking the fight. Volkanovski's technical style I don't think would translate at a higher weight.

The higher you go, the more chin and power you need. GSP was legit hurt by Bisping, it was only his chin and skill that pushed him through. Plus, I’ve never seen GSP so gassed, his body wasn’t meant to be so heavy, even if most is muscle. BJ wore his body out by fighting naturallly big dudes. And yeah, Volka will have trouble if he moves up, it’s just his body type, he has heart and skill…

positivebalance was last seen:

Oct 1, 2010

UFC 118 - Edgar vs. Penn 2
Aug / 28 / 2010

Poor feller could only handle this place for 1 month after that happened then vanished (probably under another account now I am sure).

Ah well, fuck you PB! You banned my original account.

Reported.<45>

Yeah, I think that dude banned dozens of people in a short amount of time.

positivebalance was last seen:

Oct 1, 2010

UFC 118 - Edgar vs. Penn 2
Aug / 28 / 2010

Poor feller could only handle this place for 1 month after that happened then vanished (probably under another account now I am sure).

Ah well, fuck you PB! You banned my original account.

Real Life Suicide >>> E Suicide

upload_2021-8-21_15-37-57.png

Back