gegard vs andy > gsp vs andy?

Ah, the myth of the K-1 striker. Seriously, this is just a bunch of hype. All you have to do is watch Anderson, and then go watch Mousasi fight, and it's painfully obvious who the better striker is. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out

this.

silva nuthuggers/zuffa zombies really putting there ignorance on display, huh?

It's more about being a realist than anything. In the UFC the best fighters are tested against each other, so there is significantly more data to go off of. In other orgs fighters may look very good against weaker competition, but suggesting that they are good enough to compete against the elite of the elite is pure fanciful speculation.

Mousasi has looked good against subpar competition, whereas Anderson has absolutely dominated established competition.

It's more about being a realist than anything. In the UFC the best fighters are tested against each other, so there is significantly more data to go off of. In other orgs fighters may look very good against weaker competition, but suggesting that they are good enough to compete against the elite of the elite is pure fanciful speculation.

Mousasi has looked good against subpar competition, whereas Anderson has absolutely dominated established competition.

This.

Look what happened to Fedor when he stopped fighting Hongman Choi and Zulu. He went 1-3 in Strikeforce.

Same thing happened to Cro Cop, Nog, ect.

I think it may be a more exciting fight based on styles....but I would rather see the superfight.

Mousasi won't be able to take Silva down because his wrestling isn't very good.

Mousasi won't beat Silva on the feet because his striking simply isn't up to par. I'm not basing this off of K-1 credentials, which say very little about MMA striking, I'm basing it off of seeing both of them in the cage and recognizing Anderson's complete superiority. Mousasi has faced subpar competition compared to Silva, and struggled significantly moreso.

I'm not saying Mousasi is a bad striker, but he is a ridiculously overrated one. It's understandable, though. When someone looks promising outside of the UFC, their skills tend to get completely blown out of proportion. The Gus fight is a good matchup for right now, and should be competitive.

mousasi did fine in terms of wrestling vs st preux who is a superior wrestler than anderson. also, the "k-1 striking doesn't mean anything in mma" is horse-sh't. his skills are still there, and the only reason why they'd be dampened is if he'd be facing a heavy grappler. silva isn't going to be a threat to take mousasi down.

a realist? the reality is that silva has never fought a striker of mousasi's caliber. looking great against the one dimensional guys he's fought is one thing, but fighting against someone who can actually challenge him on the feet and not just swing for the fences is completely different.

This.

Look what happened to Fedor when he stopped fighting Hongman Choi and Zulu. He went 1-3 in Strikeforce.

Same thing happened to Cro Cop, Nog, ect.

you mean when they were past their primes?

rofl
you guys obviously have never done stand up fighting in your lives

just because silva looks flashy with his dodges doesnt mean he is a better striker.

a voice of reason.

Mousasi won't be able to take Silva down because his wrestling isn't very good.

Mousasi won't beat Silva on the feet because his striking simply isn't up to par. I'm not basing this off of K-1 credentials, which say very little about MMA striking, I'm basing it off of seeing both of them in the cage and recognizing Anderson's complete superiority. Mousasi has faced subpar competition compared to Silva, and struggled significantly moreso.

I'm not saying Mousasi is a bad striker, but he is a ridiculously overrated one. It's understandable, though. When someone looks promising outside of the UFC, their skills tend to get completely blown out of proportion. The Gus fight is a good matchup for right now, and should be competitive.

Ok man. It is clear that you and I watch the same fighters and see completely different things. I can accept that.

Mousasi's defensive wrestling has proven to be a weakness, but I don't see how that plays into a potential fight with Silva. However, I really don't see how you can refer to his Judo and take down ability as poor.

For what it is worth, I think you are severly underrating Mousasi's performances by saying something like he has struggled signficantly moreso that Silva. Mousasi has "lost" three fights in his career, and I don't recall him ever being even slightly hurt in MMA or kickboxing. During this time he has fought a much higher level of strikers than Silva has.

In an earlier post, you refered to a K-1 striker being a "myth". Do you honestly not think that experience and success in kick boxking would come into play in a fight with Anderson Silva? Would you favor Silva over Mousasi in a straight kickboxing match?

even though gsp and anderson would be epic, i just see gsp gettin owned badly. moussai would be a different story

id like to see gegard pass one test in the UFC before throwing him to the GOAT...

Another name in the "anderson is ducking" list.

What? Fuck no. Mousasi's biggest wins are Hunt, Lombard, and Manhoef. The only impressive one of those is Lombard, who has looked fairly meh since joining the UFC.

I dont get the Mousasi hype at all.

K1 guys and elitist fans who hype anyone who isn't in the UFC.

Style wise gegard vs silva is better. Historical significance wise Gsp vs silva by a long mile.

This is the only answer. Silva vs Mousassi would be 10x more exciting though.

id like to see gegard pass one test in the UFC before throwing him to the GOAT...

What test exactly? Does he need to beat a wrestler to prove he can outstrike Silva? I mean. just look at the stylistic matchup. Who at LHW or even MW would fight Mousassi like Silva would? Shogun? Rampage? The retired Chuck Liddell? Everyone else would just try to take him down and control him. Even Machida, I bet.

Mousasi isn't in Silva's league. I predict that Mousasi will have a very disappointing UFC career.

In an earlier post, you refered to a K-1 striker being a "myth". Do you honestly not think that experience and success in kick boxking would come into play in a fight with Anderson Silva? Would you favor Silva over Mousasi in a straight kickboxing match?

If he's such a good kickboxer, he should have been able to finish Jardine in R1. That was a slow old man version of Jardine too.

What's the point of being so "technical" if your slow gangly opponent makes it to the final bell, and you end up in a draw because of a single point deduction?

If he's such a good kickboxer, he should have been able to finish Jardine in R1. That was a slow old man version of Jardine too.

What's the point of being so "technical" if your slow gangly opponent makes it to the final bell, and you end up in a draw because of a single point deduction?

Wait. I am very clearly talking about the validity of kick boxing experience against Anderson Silva.

The fact that Jardine used take downs, a point deduction, and pathetic judging to survive a fight in which he was brutalized in has no relevance to my comment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltonmjr
Back