• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gegard Mousasi may very well be the best MW in the world as of 2019, here's my top 5

Flat footed Mousasi is easily one of the all time most overrated fighters in sherdog history.

Not quite as flatfooted as he used to be.Theres a reason why he shows no mma mileage over 15+ years of fighting.At 33 and 46-6, its actually quite remarkable.

MW world wide is stacked like shit..Can't tell who is the best, i only know actually whitaker is the best!!! damn yeahh sherbrossss

1 round was "mostly grappling" rounds 2 and 3 were Gegard beating the brakes off him, actually watch the fight instead of looking at results on Wikipedia. And the Mo fight its pretty easy to explain, coming from Japan the guy that does the most damage wins the round. He was on his back but he was out-striking mo 3-1 in every round. In his mind Mo was just laying there getting hit the face, he was winning.
Actually I have to be honest, gegard cant win a fight on his back for the better part of 25 minutes even though the only damage done in fight was what gegard did from his back in 2nd round. Also - something alot of people dont know about that fight, Mo didnt pass guard once in entire fight with all that time gegard on his back. He lost fight cause of his arrogance towards an elite decorated wrestler. In long run, that fight changed him for the better.

Mousasi - Jacare 2 was in 2014

Jacare - Whittaker was in 2017

It's now 2019... In the past 3 years Jacare is 3-3 and has been wrecked in 2 of those 3 fights. Meanwhile Mousasi is 6-0 and has had 1 competitive fight where he fought 2.5 rounds with 1 eye and still won. It's pretty clear watching the two fight that neither one is the fighter they were when they fought back in 2014. Jacare is clearly declining, he looked awful against, Whittaker, he was getting beat the entire Weidman fight, and he was embarrassing this past Saturday. Mean while Mousasi has had 1 competitive fight in his last 11 fights. You cant even call his loss to Hall competitive, Hall lost the first round 10-8 had nothing going for him and then landed that kick early in the 2nd, and their rematch proved who the better fighter was as it was a repeat of the first fight.

You can use MMA math if you want and say 5 years ago A beat B, and then a couple years last B lost to C. Or you can actually watch the fights and see how they're all performing currently.
Well said and that goes for alot of situations not just moose situation.

You can. It's a freak accident.
Plus - let's look at flip side of coin.He still won fight with a broken fucking eye socket 45 seconds in...... most dont realize the pain and " depth perception "-- most elite would be looking for a way out.
( lol- chris did over a couple of LEGAL knees that didnt break anything)

Moose is like the MMA hipster's darling. People would say he is the best when he was in Dream and Strikeforce and now that he's in Bellator it's starting again. He's a top 10 fighter and maybe even top 5, but he wasn't getting anywhere near the belt when he was in the UFC.

This is the based point of view.

Moose is well rounded, talented and fun. He had multiple chances to prove he was the best, but he got out classed by the most important guys he fought.

He was the THIRD GUY IN A ROW to beat Weidman, who has continued his career spiral.

The most meaningful guys in the division, when Moose left, were Jacare, Romero, Whittaker and Rockhold. He only fought one of those guys, and got put away in the second round.

Solid top 10 fighter, can hang with anyone in the top 5 on a good night. He's not the best though, and thats OK.

Actually I have to be honest, gegard cant win a fight on his back for the better part of 25 minutes even though the only damage done in fight was what gegard did from his back in 2nd round. Also - something alot of people dont know about that fight, Mo didnt pass guard once in entire fight with all that time gegard on his back. He lost fight cause of his arrogance towards an elite decorated wrestler. In long run, that fight changed him for the better.
Also mo had a torn acl in that fight.

This is the based point of view.

Moose is well rounded, talented and fun. He had multiple chances to prove he was the best, but he got out classed by the most important guys he fought.

He was the THIRD GUY IN A ROW to beat Weidman, who has continued his career spiral.

The most meaningful guys in the division, when Moose left, were Jacare, Romero, Whittaker and Rockhold. He only fought one of those guys, and got put away in the second round.

Solid top 10 fighter, can hang with anyone in the top 5 on a good night. He's not the best though, and thats OK.
Third round.... after defending everything the bjj god threw at him FIVE YEARS AGO.
For the 188th time- sometimes elite fighters come to UFC, suffer a setback or 2 early in UFC tenure and then change things up and just evolve further( stipe, RDA, t-wood etc- all eventual champs).
12-3 zuffa 9-3 UFC and left on a 5 fight win streak [ I think only fighter in UFC history to do that]. We call this a successful run in mmas top promotion and ,lol, we're seeing best version of him now at 33 and no damage or seen mma mileage. We call this a paradox[ along with his 46-6 record- never lost 2 in a row....... damnnnn].
You can reference jacare fight but then I can reference that they're 1-1 - last fought 5 years ago and Mousasi is a betting favorite in the neighborhood of -240, -250 today if they fought.

I believe he beats Whittaker, Israel & Luke with his superior boxing skills.

Mousasi's grappling is also elite enough to hang with anyone in the division

IMO Yoel would be his toughest test, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mousasi gets it done

Here's my MW top 5 as of 2019

1) Yoel/Mousasi
2) Whittaker
3) Hermansson
4) Adesanya
5) Costa
Lol , Mousasi got outclassee by Lyoto Machida of all people and not even the best version of him.

Doesn't know the difference between "past" and "passed" - and didn't watch the Jardine - Mousasi fight.

Quality poster for sure.
Anybody who references the jardine fight as a negative obviously didnt watch fight.
That was just a complete 15 minute , take behind the woodshed beatdown. Gegard didnr wear a scratch and keith's own momma didnt recognize him at fights end- SMH-.
Judge Abe Robello[ something like that] shouldve been arrested for circling the name jardine in second round ?????? otherwise there is ,lol, no " majority draw"

Lol , Mousasi got outclassee by Lyoto Machida of all people and not even the best version of him.
Lol- try watching fight with mute button on.lol....at least I'm honest, I had machida winning fight but got out struck 66-35 [fact]. Lyoto won 5th round and fight because of it because of significant strikes. They both took home 50k for fight of the night....... and probably not the smartest of choices fighting lyoto first fight back at 185 in awhile and coming off back to back acl-tears. You see- people in the fight game/ fighters understand these things.

Weidman isnt even a big win anymore. He got trashed in the Jacare rematch, trashed by Machida. Lost to a journeyman in Hall. After leaving the ufc he struggled HARD to win a decision over another journeyman, that many people thought he lost. He's not this mythic unbeatable fighter his fans seem to think he is.

FFS he lost to Mo and drew with Jardine during his prime.

Good job in forming an opinion that disregards the topic, and going on a tangent about it.

Nothing you said addresses the fact that Mousasi was on a 5 fight win streak, with a TKO finish over a top 5 MW, and how he still wasnt in the title picture.

He was very easily next in line, or at the very least 1 contender bout away from a TS.

Arguing that he wasnt even in the top 5 when he left the UFC is ridiculous.

Anybody who references the jardine fight as a negative obviously didnt watch fight.
That was just a complete 15 minute , take behind the woodshed beatdown. Gegard didnr wear a scratch and keith's own momma didnt recognize him at fights end- SMH-.
Judge Abe Robello[ something like that] shouldve been arrested for circling the name jardine in second round ?????? otherwise there is ,lol, no " majority draw"

vs

Third round.... after defending everything the bjj god threw at him FIVE YEARS AGO.
For the 188th time- sometimes elite fighters come to UFC, suffer a setback or 2 early in UFC tenure and then change things up and just evolve further( stipe, RDA, t-wood etc- all eventual champs).
12-3 zuffa 9-3 UFC and left on a 5 fight win streak [ I think only fighter in UFC history to do that]. We call this a successful run in mmas top promotion and ,lol, we're seeing best version of him now at 33 and no damage or seen mma mileage. We call this a paradox[ along with his 46-6 record- never lost 2 in a row....... damnnnn].
You can reference jacare fight but then I can reference that they're 1-1 - last fought 5 years ago and Mousasi is a betting favorite in the neighborhood of -240, -250 today if they fought.

Right so all those things in context, exactly supports what I said. Moose is a fun, talented, top 10 fighter.

When he had the opportunity to prove he was the best, he came up short, both times. He didn't arrive as a young green guy, he was a seasoned career veteran upon entry to the UFC.

Also keep in mind, other than getting wrecked by Machida and Jacare, he had not yet faced the elite of the division.

Back