Gegard Mousasi: "I think people underestimate me. I'm going for the UFC belt."

His problem is he doesn't care if he is taken down. look what he did to King Mo when he took him down. He brutalized him. Mousasi needs to understand that under the Unified Rules the judges will never score you as the victor if you fight off your back, no matter how much more you damage your opponent or how much you negate the opponents offense

It's actually quite a fuck-up, because if he focused on negating offense entirely, instead of doing any damage off of his back, he's probably force the ref to stand the fight up, and would have a better chance of winning.

It was the Jardine fight that did it for me

Great striker, like all who train in Holland and great grappling, like the guys in the Red Devil Camp

It'll be interesteing to see what he can do, and he does have credentials:
LHW + MW Dream champ
Ex- LHW SF Champ
he was fun in Pride too

He's beaten the best outside UFC at those weights, however I think he'll get tooled by Machida, Jones and Shad. I think he'd have more success at MW (or Franklinweight).

This SF amalgamation is much more exciting than random fighters coming over from time to time. So many possibilities. So many careers are going to be validated or called hype.

Is he fighting at 205 in the UFC? He's a real small LHW then..

Jones destroys him. Machida tools him with one hand tied behind his back. Rashad destroys him on the feet and on the ground. Gus KO's him. Mousasi will be a journeyman in the UFC at best.

The ignorance in this post is mindboggling. Rashad beat the moose on the feet? lol

It's quite possible that people are underestimating him, but if they are it's because he under-performed against an out of shape Jardine. I think everyone had expected to see Mousasi look better even if Jardine had actually trained for the fight, but since Jardine didn't it was a huge letdown.

An exiting top 10-20 fighter with legit skills, thats always a signing to be exited over. I hope he works on his wrestling tho. The Jardine fight was a fucking farce which we should count as a win imo.

He'll be champ soon and all you haters will then say you always believed in him.

I'll absolutely say I didn't. I'll admit I was wrong.

I think he'll fall short. UFC might give him a golden path to a title, but if they make him win two to get there, with different skill sets, I don't think he'll get there and I wouldn't favor him against Anderson or Jones at all at all

Jones will kill him...

Machida will probadly TKO in round 1 or sub in round 2!

Top 5 at both MW and LHW.... What??? You are vastly overrating him... Let the guy fight someone in the top 10 first... He is a good fighter but will get tooled at LHW... Weidman would take him down and punish him... Badly

He will be another disappointment in the octagon i'm afraid.

he was on a nice run but ran out of opponents and motivation.

if he's truly re-dedicated himself and is training like a world class athlete, then i see him doing very well.

Top 5 at both MW and LHW.... What??? You are vastly overrating him... Let the guy fight someone in the top 10 first... He is a good fighter but will get tooled at LHW... Weidman would take him down and punish him... Badly

People can look really good against lesser fighters
Jardine really screws with perception, his style has made plenty people look far worse than they are, and his value as an opponent is greatly reduced because on his worst days he looks terrible and gets destroyed setting an unreasonable expectation for later foes.

Jardine is the worst measuring stick out there

He is the most technical striker under the Zuffa banner including Alistair Overeem and Anderson Silva (yes - seriously, although I think Anderson is the more talented *fighter* overall)

I dare anyone to find a technical flaw in Gegard's striking with respect to his footwork, timing, head movement, etc. Gegard's boxing is more fundamentally sound than even Anderson

There is one flaw. He doesn't throw enough punches. In the end, it makes him look tentative even if his accuracy rating is through the roof. If he lands 13 of 13 strikes in a round while his opponent lands 14 of 40 strikes, he's getting out-striked whether you like it or not.

I agree that his boxing is technically sound. It's his cool attitude and slow pace that need to change. Anderson Silva doesn't have that problem. He waits for you in the matrix and hits you when you come at him. Mousasi doesn't have that. He can't afford to wait, look what King Mo did to him.

Damn, even Jardine took advantage of this and got a draw out of it. Why didn't Mousasi keep peppering Jardine from the outside while circling out instead of standing in the pocket and getting taken down each and every time? 4 of 6 successful takedowns for Jardine. Mousasi only stuffed 2 in the third round, none in the first two rounds.

We're talking Dean of Mean takedowns here... What good is stellar striking if The Dean can take you down at will?

Back