Gegard Mousasi: "I think people underestimate me. I'm going for the UFC belt."

joeaust

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
War Mousasi!! I totally agree that people underestimate this guy. He's a legit threat at both middleweight and light-heavyweight. Great striker and grappling is improving by leaps and bounds from what I'm reading.

I think he's already top 5 at both MW and LHW. Really excited to see what he can do against the top fighters in the UFC.

link - Gegard Mousasi: "I have a goal, going for the UFC belt."

people don't underestimate you.. it's just that people saw the king mo fight...

I agree and if King Mo wasn't gifted that victory a lot of others would too. not to mention that abysmal score job for the Jardine fight

He is the most technical striker under the Zuffa banner including Alistair Overeem and Anderson Silva (yes - seriously, although I think Anderson is the more talented *fighter* overall)

I dare anyone to find a technical flaw in Gegard's striking with respect to his footwork, timing, head movement, etc. Gegard's boxing is more fundamentally sound than even Anderson

Jones destroys him. Machida tools him with one hand tied behind his back. Rashad destroys him on the feet and on the ground. Gus KO's him. Mousasi will be a journeyman in the UFC at best.

The dude is a monster, and is so ridiculously well rounded in grappling and striking. He has technique and skill that could give any LHW and MW in the world problems.

That shattered when I seen the Jardine fight. I did think he did enough to win. However, I also seen Jardine take him down almost at will. I know he's better a few good wrestlers, but he needs serious TD defense work if he wants to roll with the best in the world

He's got a much better chance at winning the MW belt

The dude is a monster, and is so ridiculously well rounded in grappling and striking. He has technique and skill that could give any LHW and MW in the world problems.

That shattered when I seen the Jardine fight. I did think he did enough to win. However, I also seen Jardine take him down almost at will. I know he's better a few good wrestlers, but he needs serious TD defense work if he wants to roll with the best in the world

His problem is he doesn't care if he is taken down. look what he did to King Mo when he took him down. He brutalized him. Mousasi needs to understand that under the Unified Rules the judges will never score you as the victor if you fight off your back, no matter how much more you damage your opponent or how much you negate the opponents offense

I think people over hype him more than they underestimate him. Anyway, can't wait to see what he can do in the UFC.

Just don't Sonnen your way into it, show us that you can hang with the best there is at this time and we'll believe you.

I hope he's been using this time off to improve his wrestling and cardio

Guys like Davis & Shad would give him problems.

While you're right about the wrestling and takedown implications man, I think Mousasi would tear both of them apart on the feet.

Mousasi vs Weidman.

He'll be champ soon and all you haters will then say you always believed in him.

While you're right about the wrestling and takedown implications man, I think Mousasi would tear both of them apart on the feet.

Oh for sure. They would get tore up if they tried to stand with him.

My low estimate of Mousasi is based on the fact that he has not fought any of the relevant UFC fighters in either the LHW or MW divisions as of yet. He did fight Jardine and that fight did not go well.

Mousasi has not fought Shogun, Lil Nog, Rampage, Rashad, Machida, Jones, Henderson, Gustaffson and those are the names I can think of off the top of my head for the LHW division. How can I take this fella seriously yet? I think people who are predicting he gets to the title are grossly overestimating him based entirely on selective evidence and general ignorance.

Back