Gegard Mousasi: "I think people underestimate me. I'm going for the UFC belt."

Answer my question if you have nuanced understanding of striking:

Pinpoint an aspect of Gegard's striking that is technically deficient. I dare you.

With Anderson, as brilliant as he is, his striking is not as technical as Gegard's although I believe Anderson is the better overall fighter. Here is Anderson's weakness with respect to striking illustrated: http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&forum=1&thread=2022204&page=1

Also of note: left hands are what I believe Anderson is most vulnerable too on the feet - Franklin landed some good lefts, as did Maia, and of course Chael caught him with a couple. It's one of the reasons I thought Vitor dangerous for him, but alas that fight ended all too quickly.

I would also like a rematch between Anderson and Vitor. However, answer my question first- look at his last three fights in SF- the loss to King Mo, Draw with Jardine, and subpar performance against OSP. Where was his technical striking in those fights? A lot of people are great strikers, but if they can not stop a takedown, what good is their technical striking? What good is your technical striking if you are damn near exhausted like Mousasi was in the third round against OSP? He would get

slaughtered by Jones. Maybe i am harsh on him, because i was very disappointed in his last 3 SF fights. Anderson would have finished all three guys at 205. Who cares about Anderson's weaknesses? His weaknesses have resulted in him being undefeated for damn near 7 years and the greatest MW of all time. I still can not get the image of Mousasi being schooled by King Mo on the ground. Maybe that is why it might seem i am critical of Mousasi. He is a very good fighter, but he needs to prove it in the Big Leagues against a top 5 guy in the UFC first.

He should get used to being on his back

Mousasi could beat anyone at LHW standing but his takedown defense is not where it should be to beat Jones or Rashad Evans. At MW he would probably give Anderson Silva his best fight standing.

He has just as much probability as anyone else in this weight class.

Sure. And if it was a boxing/kickboxing match he would be champ. People are going to take him down though. That is such an obvious hole in his game.

Indeed, he has to prove his takedown defense.

He is the most technical striker under the Zuffa banner including Alistair Overeem and Anderson Silva (yes - seriously, although I think Anderson is the more talented *fighter* overall)

I dare anyone to find a technical flaw in Gegard's striking with respect to his footwork, timing, head movement, etc. Gegard's boxing is more fundamentally sound than even Anderson

Anderson and Jones both out strike him.

Hopefully he's worked on his takedown defense, that King Mo fight was awful...

Yes, but that's the problem. Can he keep it on the feet? He really needs to improve his TDD to be a force

Yup. You are correct. As long as he develops his techniques and talents, he'll improve his takedown defense.

I like how sherdog talks shit about pro fighters.its pretty ridiculous.

Mousasi is irrelevant. He's been out of shape and not giving effort. He's been surpassed in skill in every area by younger guys, and was never on the level of the old guys. I'd prefer not to see him taking up space on cards.

I like how sherdog talks shit about pro fighters.its pretty ridiculous.

then I'm sure you like what I just said

I like Mousasi but until he fights someone in the top 10 in the UFC he cant really be considered a threat at all. But he is motivated so I wish him luck.......cause hes gonna need it

fizzed off badly? that's a stretch. he lost a lnp decision to lawal, was robbed of a win vs jardine, and won the rest of his fights. the guy is a beat, but he doesn't have the ufc hype machine behind him, so most shertards will assume he's not good just because of that.

Well perhaps fizzed off badly is stretching it,,, but his bouts with King Mo and Jardine, albeit competitive and he arguably won perhaps even both fights, were far off from the performances he had prior to that. And fizz off in the sense that he hasn't been fighting and not talked about much for the last year or so.

Mousasi is irrelevant. He's been out of shape and not giving effort. He's been surpassed in skill in every area by younger guys, and was never on the level of the old guys. I'd prefer not to see him taking up space on cards.

then I'm sure you like what I just said

From one Carlin fan to another, fuck your opinion.

He is the most technical striker under the Zuffa banner including Alistair Overeem and Anderson Silva (yes - seriously, although I think Anderson is the more talented *fighter* overall)

I dare anyone to find a technical flaw in Gegard's striking with respect to his footwork, timing, head movement, etc. Gegard's boxing is more fundamentally sound than even Anderson

lol

His problem is he doesn't care if he is taken down. look what he did to King Mo when he took him down. He brutalized him. Mousasi needs to understand that under the Unified Rules the judges will never score you as the victor if you fight off your back, no matter how much more you damage your opponent or how much you negate the opponents offense

thank goodness someone else sees it not just me. its scary how much damage he gave to mo off of his back. he was so calm and fedor like except for the lack of an armbar :icon_lol:

Back