Gastelum made $150,000 for that beating

That's a ridiculous comparison. Those jobs aren't bringing in revenue for their employer.

People who compare entertainment, and sports salaries to jobs like being a doctor, or a cop don't seem to understand that those professions don't make big bucks because they're not making other people richer. It's not about the importance of the job.

A baseball team can pay a layer large sums of money because that's their market value, and they have that kind of money because of the draw of the players.

That's your opinion, and it's completely abritrary. Most people who complain about fighter pay do so because of the risks involved, not because of the amounts of money being generated.

As for share of the profits, organizations take enormous risk and make tremendous investment in order to get to a profitable position. Most fail miserably. The UFC has succeeded, and their brand is worth infintely more than any fighter.

The fighters who are have significant drawing power are now getting paid exponentially more than that they used to receive, and this has happened pretty quickly. Fighters at the lowest level are making, no hyperbole, an order of magnitude more now than what they made a decade ago. This is a trend I expect to continue, and have been talking about for more than ten years.

Its been confirmed many many manyyyy times that the disclosed purses are usually nowhere near what the fighters actually make. Confirmed by all kinds of sources including fighters. DC's supposed purse for the Jon 2 fight was somewhere in the 500k I believe, but DC himself said that the second Jon fight was a 4 mil payday for him.

I dont understand why Sherdog and the mma fanbase in general always seems to ignore this.

It's about what you'd expect the UFC to pay a guy in Kelvin's spot.

Hopefully they give him a raise after that fight though. It was a great perfomance from a guy who pretty much always delivers a good fight.

You are Comparing public service with a private company whose main motive is profit . UFC as a company makes a ton of money because of fighters, the same fighters who are being paid peanuts.
Not to mention the amount of shelf life you have. Let alone "prime " shelf life.

That's 2 or 3 times a police officer make in a year.
That's 3 times those firefighters who were saving the Notre Dame yesterday make in a year.
It's 5 times a sergeant in the army make in a year.

I think Castellum is doing just fine with his money.

Pay the taxes , pay coaches and training camp expenses and you
have half left at best.
And he is in his prime, making biggest money.
Imagine what happens when he is out of it.

Fighting in shit shows and bake knuckle human cock figting for 5-10 k
to make ends meet.

Kelvin Gastelum beat Vitor Belfort, Tim Kennedy, Bisping, Marquardt, Jacare, Hendricks, and he made less than Israel who decisioned a washed up Anderson Silva. That seems screwy.

Seems like the bigger mouth gets the bigger pay.

Spot on apart from biggest mouth. It's the style of fighting. Conor, Anderson, Israel, .. regardless of what they say, before they are known for what comes out of their mouths... They at least have to deliver in one way or the other.

Flashy stand up sells better than dominant grappling. Khabib has only become the draw he has by beating Conor. Without Conor, he would look a lot less bankable.

Bro, guys literally PAY to get to fight. They pay to go to the gym. This, this is a dream come true for most guys. Have you ever even wrestled in school? You don't get paid. Have you been in a street fight? You don't get paid. To do what Gastelum does is a dream come true. He also gets to do some bullshit with the latinos UFC community since he speaks Spanish and some Portuguese. He's living the life and getting paid more behind the scenes.

Still wondering why there is no fighter's union...

You are Comparing public service with a private company whose main motive is profit . UFC as a company makes a ton of money because of fighters, the same fighters who are being paid peanuts.
Any corporation we work for makes profits on our backs and pays it’s workers peanuts. That includes government. No difference.

Kelvin Gastelum beat Vitor Belfort, Tim Kennedy, Bisping, Marquardt, Jacare, Hendricks, and he made less than Israel who decisioned a washed up Anderson Silva. That seems screwy.

Seems like the bigger mouth gets the bigger pay.
Spot on apart from biggest mouth. It's the style of fighting. Conor, Anderson, Israel, .. regardless of what they say, before they are known for what comes out of their mouths... They at least have to deliver in one way or the other.

Flashy stand up sells better than dominant grappling. Khabib has only become the draw he has by beating Conor. Without Conor, he would look a lot less bankable.

I don't like Adesanya, but he had a tournament championship from 2 boxing orgs - Glory and KotRing. He bought a built-in audience and that give's you more negotiating leverage for your first contract. It's how things worked out. Yes Gastelum has a WAY better resume in my opinion, but Gastelum had some snooze-fests under his belt, missed weight at WW by a HUGE margin (more than once I think?) and went to MW as Plan B, so his leverage on his last contract was probably very low.

Conor tips that money

He’ll be tipping his lawyers 10 times that. Do you think it will make any difference? Then what will your boast be?

McGregor pays more than that to keep himself alive in prison?

I don't understand the discus image, meh.

Also, yeah... to get $150,000 for a title fight is embarrassing, should have been at least $400,000.

Sickening really.

That's 3 times those firefighters who were saving the Notre Dame yesterday make in a year.

What a ridiculous way of looking at things lol. Those guys don't generate the economy millions of dollars through their talents, for the most part they are ten a dozen. They do a fantastic job for the community and allow us to live safely, but don't be so naïve.

CEO's of companies make millions and in some case billions a year. Are they saving children's lives? No.

Minus 40% state tax, camp expenses, manager's cut, and training expenses and Kelvin is lucky to see $40k net

Firefighters and military get pensions. Big difference

Back