Gastelum made $150,000 for that beating

That 150,000 turns quickly into 80,000 after taxes, management fees, camp fees and trainer, etc. That's shit money for going 25 minutes and almost dying. Title and Interim fights should pay minimum 250k base for all fighters (except WMMA).

Spot on apart from biggest mouth. It's the style of fighting. Conor, Anderson, Israel, .. regardless of what they say, before they are known for what comes out of their mouths... They at least have to deliver in one way or the other.

Flashy stand up sells better than dominant grappling. Khabib has only become the draw he has by beating Conor. Without Conor, he would look a lot less bankable.
Gastelum has a better KO HL reel: Bisping, Vitor, Tim. This is real results, not flashy shit decision wins. I suspect little children pro wrestling fans are mesmorized by the trash talk.

Gastelum has a better KO HL reel: Bisping, Vitor, Tim. This is real results, not flashy shit decision wins. I suspect little children pro wrestling fans are mesmorized by the trash talk.

FTR. I am not saying I agree. I would rather watch Kelvin than Asedanya fight all day long. I'm just saying that's the reason. When you get a guy that can do it on his feet and stay on his feet long enough to, they get right behind them.

They got burnt with Pettis thinking he was that break out stand up guy.. they got behind Thompson too.. None of them are bad fighters, but all have an obvious flaw that is waiting to be exposed.... Maybe this time around, Izzy is the guy that can stuff all of the takedowns .. who knows?.. But that's the guy they are looking for ..

Last edited:
You're low balling

Title challengers get 30k from Reebok and he received a FOTN bonus as well. 230k? plus he's the main event title fight getting PPV points? Let's conservatively say he got 100k more.

330k doesn't sound so bad

He got a $50K FotN bonus, and he got paid some sort of $ per PPV because he was a co-headliner so he made more than his base of $150K.
I know how it works, however, there is still no excuse for a co main interim title fight to be making less than 1 million each. Do you realize how much the UFC is making off of there brain damage? They damn sure can afford it, I promise you that.

He got a $50K FotN bonus, and he got paid some sort of $ per PPV because he was a co-headliner so he made more than his base of $150K.
Says who? I thought normally only champs & Giblert got PPV pts.

I know how it works, however, there is still no excuse for a co main interim title fight to be making less than 1 million each. Do you realize how much the UFC is making off of there brain damage? They damn sure can afford it, I promise you that.
Derrick Lewis & various soccer mom Cyborg opponents definitely did not deserve a $1 mil payday.

Can he make more money doing something else?

Soccer players can't do 1% of what they make doing something else, and same goes for most of big business professional sports

That's not the point

That's 2 or 3 times a police officer make in a year.
That's 3 times those firefighters who were saving the Notre Dame yesterday make in a year.
It's 5 times a sergeant in the army make in a year.

I think Castellum is doing just fine with his money.

Again, keep it on common people perspective it's just short-sighted... i mean, it can be good for a sherdog post, but it's still a stupid point of view

Plus MMA fighters got a short career while at it

If the PPV did more than 350K buys, he probably did make $1M or more. If the measure of their salary is based on brain damage, then how is $1M the minimum? What does $1M do for brain damage that $800K can't?

Better than the 36k Jason Knight got for his

Was it worth it?

537f98ff61520.image.jpg

I'm in the camp of they chose this profession but I'm also in the camp of title fights/challengers should be making at least a quarter mil

I’d say that’s an over exaggeration. Now I’ve seen in the past that if you get to that 350k mark then it can be upwards of $1M, but I believe that’s changed especially with the buying out from Zuffa and also with the new ESPN deal.

Not to mention I definitely would believe that every fighter is different in what they can make and it depends on how many of the guys are eligible for those points. If you had 2 title fights the pot will be split up more.

Then you have salaries come into play, Kelvin only made 150k while Israel made like 350k right? We can most likely assume that he’s gonna have a higher share of PPV revenue as well based off of his salary.

If the PPV did more than 350K buys, he probably did make $1M or more. If the measure of their salary is based on brain damage, then how is $1M the minimum? What does $1M do for brain damage that $800K can't?

Says who? I thought normally only champs & Giblert got PPV pts.

I've seen elsewhere it's general practice to pay PPV points for interim title fights and main event bouts. Right now, the best I can find is some research including contract evidence and a poll John Nash wrote about HERE

"Over the last year I have conducted a poll with as many fighters and their representatives, (managers, agents, and attorneys) as I could, questioning them on the total amounts paid to them for their matches....With regards to pay-per-view points and side agreements, both of these appear to be limited to those that occupy main event spots or are featured bouts on a pay-per-view."

150k at 4% compounding interest daily quickly turns into millions of dollars. So I would say it was worth it.

Regardless of whether it was worth it or not, it was Gastelum's choice to take the fight for that amount.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back