• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tech Gaming Hardware discussion (& Hardware Sales) thread

i3-12100f*

750 watts is way more than enough to run that kind of setup. even if your psu isn't top of the line you'll be more than fine. hell you could even swap out that cpu for like a much more powerful 12600/12700 non k variant and you'd still have some wiggle room for a beefier gpu down the road.

Last edited:
750 watts is way more than enough to run that kind of setup. even if your psu isn't top of the line you'll be fine.

thats good to hear. I'm using XPG Pylon 650W and I have a new FSP HV Pro 550w lying around
both are considered low-tier but it will do for now

Way more than enough. Absolute peak gaming consumption for that would be like 300 watts max and thats without vsync turned on

yeah. and I mostly play old games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Half-Life 2 lol
I was just worried about my cheap psu blowing up on me

So I guess it's been 3 years since my last pc build and the only other thing I had upgraded since then was swap out the 3090 gtx card with a 4090 and added a a couple of 4tb ssd drives and use the pimax crystal alot. Currently I'm running on an i9 10800 with 64 gb ddr ram

I heard amd is going to release their 8000 cpu processors by the end of this month although I haven't seen any sites take any preorder.
I already have two 48g ddr5 ram and two 36 ddr5 ram ready for use but I guess I would need a motherboard that would be able to run both ddr5 and the new AMD processor that will be released soon. Any suggestions would be great as well as the High tower case recommendation

Crazy gaming build lol

I heard amd is going to release their 8000 cpu processors
FYI those are Zen 4 chips with better integrated GPUs and I think some AI features, they are not Zen 5

FYI those are Zen 4 chips with better integrated GPUs and I think some AI features, they are not Zen 5
Zen 5 is the one coming out at the end of 24 and won't be available until the amd 9000 series in 25 right?

Zen 5 is the one coming out at the end of 24 and won't be available until the amd 9000 series in 25 right?
No, Zen 5 is supposed to come out this year, we're just not sure when. We also don't know if they will also be labeled as 8000-series or 9000-series. AMD has done that in the past. They've mixed different architecture in the same numbered series between the desktop APUs and CPUs. It's really clumsy. But, to be fair, IIRC, Intel has done the same thing with mobile and desktop.

AMD has said the current AM5 motherboards will support the upcoming Zen 5, but it's still probably a good idea to wait and see if new motherboards debut alongside the new chips.

Anyone know where I can get a CPU, motherboard, and case all put together?

I am not interested in changing my GPU, PSU is still good, RAM and SSDs all fine too.

I'm actually fine with my CPU as well but what I need is a motherboard with a Thunderbolt 3 port, so I might as well upgrade my i7 9700k while I am at it.

I had a Thunderbolt 3 add in card connected to my motherboard and it was fine until I upgraded to a 3 slot GPU (RTX 4080) Once I did that there wasnt any space for the AIC anymore so I cant use my Thunderbolt 3 peripheral

Anyone know where I can get a CPU, motherboard, and case all put together?

I am not interested in changing my GPU, PSU is still good, RAM and SSDs all fine too.

I'm actually fine with my CPU as well but what I need is a motherboard with a Thunderbolt 3 port, so I might as well upgrade my i7 9700k while I am at it.

I had a Thunderbolt 3 add in card connected to my motherboard and it was fine until I upgraded to a 3 slot GPU (RTX 4080) Once I did that there wasnt any space for the AIC anymore so I cant use my Thunderbolt 3 peripheral
Do you have a Microcenter located anywhere near you? They can put it together for you.

I do, for some reason I was thinking they would only build a PC with all new parts.

I basically want to swap a bunch of existing stuff and upgrade my CPU and motherboard.

I'll ask if they can do it. Thanks
I believe they do help you build your PC as long as you bring them the parts. You dont even need to made any purchase there. I inquired about it before on phone but I ended up just using a local mom and pop store that was much closer to where i live. Like My Spot has mentioned above, they charge a minimum fee of $10, the other mom and pop store that I used was just $135

I do, for some reason I was thinking they would only build a PC with all new parts.

I basically want to swap a bunch of existing stuff and upgrade my CPU and motherboard.

I'll ask if they can do it. Thanks
Are you really that useless that you need to pay some nerds to basically snap together some Legos for you?

Are you really that useless that you need to pay some nerds to basically snap together some Legos for you?

Dont be a schmuck. Not everyone wishes to deal with putting together and possibly troubling shooting a new build.
Right. I already upgraded my GPU on this build twice, added RAM, added some SSDs, upgraded to cooling kit, connected the thunderbolt port, and added pci USB expansions all on my own. There are a lot of cables inside my case.

Now I have a rather stressful job, I'd rather pay someone else to handle un mounting and mounting the motherboard, CPU, handling all the jumper cables and reconnecting all my other internal peripherals.

I'd rather not spend a day off doing all this stuff

Are you really that useless that you'd pay a mechanic to fix your car instead of doing it yourself? Or a plumber, roofer, garbageman, etc.

Back