• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Tech Gaming Hardware discussion (& Hardware Sales) thread

Check out the LTT review, timestamped.

Damn, still gpu bottlenecked. Since that’s the case if you’re only gaming and at 1440 or 4k it’s super hard to recommend the new gen CPUs over last gen. 5800x3d looking like the next gaming cpu to me.

Damn, still gpu bottlenecked. Since that’s the case if you’re only gaming and at 1440 or 4k it’s super hard to recommend the new gen CPUs over last gen. 5800x3d looking like the next gaming cpu to me.
The 13700k has entered the chat at $450

Last edited:
You really got me to rethink what I want to do now. I am not in dire need for upgrade because this PC is still kicking well. Its just timing as I planned to upgrade it early last year when news about raptor lake were emerging and I just wanted an upgrade, thats all. But seeing what it is I might as well just wait bit longer. The idea of buying something less powerful and then 2-3 years later replacing it isnt very exciting.

There is some upcoming options, so I dont know

intel-roadmap-2022.jpg
I don't understand why. The 13900K is just 5% stronger in gaming according to both Techspot (aka Hardware Unboxed) and Tom's Hardware's suites. It has 8 more total efficiency cores than the 13700K, and thus only 8 more total threads. Whether or not you choose to upgrade that in several years as a matter of strategy is irrelevant to the fact the 13900K isn't going to outlive the 13700K as a relevant gaming processor for an appreciable period of time. Their window as viable gaming processors, whether for Ultra/High settings, or to meet mandatory minimums, is going to be nearly identical.

I don't understand why you favor the inferior strategy for the long-term of going huge, then not updating for a decade. You can wait, but I doubt it behooves you much, because the focus for Intel & AMD going forward is on power efficiency. But since that's what you're doing, you might as well do it. Run that 3820 into the ground. Upgrade only once the game sputters, and won't start.

I'm not up to speed on videocards.
What models are now the best Geforce cards
3080 ? 4080 ?

4090 is steadily coming down in price on StockX. Hopefully we won't see this kind of bullshit as long as we did last year.

Thanks, I have a 11 GB ram 1080 Ti, anyone know if that is a founders edition ?

I know this card won't do raytracing, but other than that, I should be fine for a few years right ?

I plan on buying a new pc when W10 expires, I wonder what model will be the best then, 6080 ?
1080 Ti is still a good card for 1080p/60 FPS high/ultra.

I know this card won't do raytracing, but other than that, I should be fine for a few years right ?

I plan on buying a new pc when W10 expires, I wonder what model will be the best then, 6080 ?
That's 3 years off, so nobody knows, but at the pace recent generations have been going, no, they will only be onto the next generation, probably about halfway through its life, so the 5080. Although if that gen is at the halfway point there will probably be an intermediary upgrade (i.e. a "Ti" variant, or a "Super" variant, or some other variant with a minor upgrade such as to the VRAM or the reference clocks speeds).

• RTX 4080* = $1199 (October, 2022: +25 months)
  • RTX 3080* = $699 (September, 2020: +24 months)
  • RTX 2080 = $799 (September, 2018: +28 months)
  • GTX 1080 = $599 (May, 2016: +20 months)
  • GTX 980 = $549 (September, 2014: +16 months)
  • GTX 780 = $499 (May, 2013: +14 months)
  • GTX 680 = $499 (March, 2012: +21 months from 480; +16 months from 580)
  • GTX 580 = $499 (November, 2010: +5 months) [Fermi 2.0, not a full architectural upgrade]
  • GTX 480 = $499 (March, 2010)
*Not the strongest GPU at launch
This is all good to know.
Have you heard about 1080 Ti's that have 11GB RAM ? Is that normal ? Mine has.
Yes, it's normal. The 10GB variant was planned, but never released. What most likely varies from the Founder's Edition (aka the reference design) is the core and/or memory clock frequencies.
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-1080-ti.c2877

Do you remember F355 Challenge? It was a Sega arcade racing game with three screens around the cockpit and each one was powered by a separate Dreamcast.

The game was run off of two boards, which were NAOMI 1 boards. One was master and the other was slave. The dreamcast was a geared down NAOMI board but they weren't the same.

Thanks, I have a 11 GB ram 1080 Ti, anyone know if that is a founders edition ?

1080 Ti is still a good card. If you’re not disappointed with the frames and resolution of whatever games you’re running right now, I wouldn’t worry about it all. Ray tracing is nice but at the end of the day you aren’t missing much. It’s not even in that many games really.

I also don’t trust the charts sometimes. I’ve seen them listing 1080ti at way lower frames than mine was getting.

Hard to find a PC with a DVD drive these days
That's because they're largely redundant: USB thumb drives, Blu-Ray, and streaming culture rendered them obsolete (mostly). Nevertheless, this is one of the reasons people elect to build. The 5.25" external bay filter is all you need. Every case listed in the link below will support the installation of a 5.25" DVD-RW drive, and those are cheap-- the most popular choice is just $25:
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/case/#G=1,12&sort=price&page=1

One caveat for builders is that the installation of certain CPU coolers, like 240mm/280mm/360mm liquid coolers, might preclude the installation of anything into the 5.25" bay-- depends on the case. That's because if you install fans to the top fan mount it occupies that space, so if the only place to install a certain size of radiator fans is in that slot, then you can't have both. PCPP is pretty solid about issuing a warning noting these conflicts, though.

Hard to find a PC with a DVD drive these days

Compression, digital distribution and fast consumer internet rendered it obsolete. Steam hardware survey Valve did in 2012 showed the majority of Pc gamers had a internet connection slower than DSL. That majority shifted insanely fast in the next few years.

Compression, digital distribution and fast consumer internet rendered it obsolete. Steam hardware survey Valve did in 2012 showed the majority of Pc gamers had a internet connection slower than DSL. That majority shifted insanely fast in the next few years.

Yes but I have a case of burned dvd´s with stuff.
Maybe I´ll buy an external.

Back