Gaming Hardware discussion (& Hardware Sales) thread

I looked into it, but it's not crashing, so there's no crash dumps or logs. Nor were there any errors/warnings leading up to or during the freeze events.
My bad. You already covered that. So you mentioned you believe the MoBo is a likely culprit, but I didn't see you mention checking the motherboard debug LED light (assuming it has one)? Is it spitting out an error code?

*Edit* Just checked, and your motherboard unfortunately has onboard LEDs only.

Last edited:
Strange question, but does anyone know if there is a sub-reddit where I can make a custom mod request. I want to make a ps5 Controller mod, but since this is a hardware issue I decided to post this here.

Strange question, but does anyone know if there is a sub-reddit where I can make a custom mod request. I want to make a ps5 Controller mod, but since this is a hardware issue I decided to post this here.
PS5 mod? Electrical or mechanical? Like something you need to need to open one up and modify internally or something that attaches to it? There is very likely a number of people doing external mods for it on reddit have not looked into it on youtube but a quick look there is a number of videos.

I looked into it, but it's not crashing, so there's no crash dumps or logs. Nor were there any errors/warnings leading up to or during the freeze events.
Have you tried a CMOS clear?

PS5 mod? Electrical or mechanical? Like something you need to need to open one up and modify internally or something that attaches to it? There is very likely a number of people doing external mods for it on reddit have not looked into it on youtube but a quick look there is a number of videos.

I want to fit the essential components of the dualsense into the ds4. Or at least know if that's possible.

I want to fit the essential components of the dualsense into the ds4. Or at least know if that's possible.
I don't know if this is helpful towards that end. At least may show how different the two are in design looks like it uses the same analog stick. Dos'nt look like they are compatible without some changes in the body.
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7601...-analog-sticks-as-ps4s-dualshock-4/index.html

76017_35_ps5-dualsense-controller-teardown-reveals-repairability.png

76017_34_ps5-dualsense-controller-teardown-reveals-repairability_full.png

I don't know if this is helpful towards that end. At least may show how different the two are in design looks like it uses the same analog stick. Dos'nt look like they are compatible without some changes in the body.
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7601...-analog-sticks-as-ps4s-dualshock-4/index.html

76017_35_ps5-dualsense-controller-teardown-reveals-repairability.png

76017_34_ps5-dualsense-controller-teardown-reveals-repairability_full.png
Thanks for the help sherbro, this kinda sucks for me since I'm a big fan of the ds4 and hate the bulky dualsense. Surprised with the lack of custom controllers on the ps5 so far.

Reactions: PEB
Have you tried a CMOS clear?
No, but I did update the BIOS when the issue started and that required re-entering all the various values. I suppose I could give it a shot and see if it does anything. Just need to hunt down the manual and see if there's a button or if I need to jump some terminals somewhere. EDIT: of course it's terminals.

Intel Battlemage GPU has 10,000 cores and over 50 billion transistors on a chiplet design and Intel Graphics Innovation Fellow Tom "TAP" Peterson let it slip it has three 8 pin connectors lol.
It will need tons of power to run like 1,000 watt or better power supply you will need to run it. But it looks to be at least 3 to 4 times faster then their top spec GPU. To say he was excited to let it slip is an understatement he knew it could cause problems but he is an Intel Fellow there is really nothing they can do to him unless he sold it to someone else lol.
85457_09_intel-teases-arc-alchemist-prototype-gpu-3-8-pin-power-connectors.jpg

"
In a video interview with Intel Graphics Innovation Fellow Tom "TAP" Peterson and HotHardware, we get a tiny glimpse of the Intel Arc GPU with 3 x 8-pin PCIe power connectors. We don't know anything about it, other than the 3 x 8-pin PCIe power connectors capable of feeding 150W each for a total of 450W + 75W from the board for 500W.

This isn't a regular Arc Alchemist, but it could be the higher-end Battlemage which Intel is get aring for the "Enthusiast" performance market. Intel also recently introduced the new ATX 3.0 and ATX12VO 2.0 standards, which are ready to rock and roll with next-gen GPUs and up to 600W of power.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/8545...otype-gpu-3-8-pin-power-connectors/index.html

@jefferz @Madmick @Neph

Just checking back in to say thinks for the help. I'm now three weeks in to my new build and have had zero freezes. Unfortunately I misread the motherboard description and I was unable to test my 1600X in it. So the problem was definitely either CPU or motherboard, but I have no way of telling which it was. Thankfully it wasn't my GPU.

Anybody think selling the old CPU would be a scummy thing to do? I have no way of knowing if it was the culprit, but it did pass an 8hr run of prime95 before I pulled it. But somebody paying $120-140 for a junk chip isn't something I'm keen on risking.

Unfortunately the new hardware means my Win10 key no longer works and I'm stuck with no personalization options and that damn "activate windows" watermark. Microsoft wants either $200 for a new key or I have to log in with a MS account to dispute the hardware change. Neither of those will be happening, so I'll live with it.

It has, however, accelerated my desire to try switching to linux. But I can't get anything to install on the drive I bought for that purpose anymore. Every check I've ran on it says the disk is fine, but none of the distros I've tried will install and they all fail at different places. At first Mint would install, but then it stopped working as well.
  • Mint- Installed, but I wasn't happy with how out of date their core repositories were (yes, I know that's the point, stability over everything) so I tried something different. Turns out, that was a mistake.
  • Manjaro- failed to create bootloader
  • Fedora- failed at 60% install
  • Kubuntu- failed at 99% install
  • EndeavorOS- failed to create user
  • OpenSUSE- Failed to install packages
  • Mint, again- failed at "almost finished copying files"
I wiped the drive to all zeros between each attempt, and even tried re-downloading and re-burning my USB stick with Fedora but it failed at the same spot. So I think that proves it's a hardware issue of some sort (maybe physical, maybe BIOS setting), when every one of those distros, built on ubuntu/debian/arch/red-hat/suse and with different installer types, all fail at different parts of the install. I've got another drive kicking around I can try, see if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
Just checking back in to say thinks for the help. I'm now three weeks in to my new build and have had zero freezes. Unfortunately I misread the motherboard description and I was unable to test my 1600X in it. So the problem was definitely either CPU or motherboard, but I have no way of telling which it was. Thankfully it wasn't my GPU.

Anybody think selling the old CPU would be a scummy thing to do? I have no way of knowing if it was the culprit, but it did pass an 8hr run of prime95 before I pulled it. But somebody paying $120-140 for a junk chip isn't something I'm keen on risking.
If you add the caveat to the sales description it would be ethical because that will certainly diminish its value.
Unfortunately the new hardware means my Win10 key no longer works and I'm stuck with no personalization options and that damn "activate windows" watermark. Microsoft wants either $200 for a new key or I have to log in with a MS account to dispute the hardware change. Neither of those will be happening, so I'll live with it.
As much as I hate Windows 11 you can just upgrade to it. Problems solved. Windows 10 support is coming to an end in 2025, anyway. Since you just got the new build setup this is the time to do it. You have very little time invested in OS calibration/customization to lose. Here's my upgrade guide. I suggest a clean install since I don't know what the ramifications of upgrading from a non-licensed version entail:
https://forums.sherdog.com/posts/166274878/
It has, however, accelerated my desire to try switching to linux. But I can't get anything to install on the drive I bought for that purpose anymore. Every check I've ran on it says the disk is fine, but none of the distros I've tried will install and they all fail at different places. At first Mint would install, but then it stopped working as well.
  • Mint- Installed, but I wasn't happy with how out of date their core repositories were (yes, I know that's the point, stability over everything) so I tried something different. Turns out, that was a mistake.
  • Manjaro- failed to create bootloader
  • Fedora- failed at 60% install
  • Kubuntu- failed at 99% install
  • EndeavorOS- failed to create user
  • OpenSUSE- Failed to install packages
  • Mint, again- failed at "almost finished copying files"
I wiped the drive to all zeros between each attempt, and even tried re-downloading and re-burning my USB stick with Fedora but it failed at the same spot. So I think that proves it's a hardware issue of some sort (maybe physical, maybe BIOS setting), when every one of those distros, built on ubuntu/debian/arch/red-hat/suse and with different installer types, all fail at different parts of the install. I've got another drive kicking around I can try, see if that makes a difference.
You're not getting any warnings or anything in software like HWInfo64 for the drive? Indications that it has had errors? That's usually a sign a drive failure is imminent. Older drives that are beginning to fail pass the disk checks, but these will show up in HWInfo. You'll see a yield sign next to the drive in the "Drive" tab of the Summary pane, for instance.

If you add the caveat to the sales description it would be ethical because that will certainly diminish its value.

As much as I hate Windows 11 you can just upgrade to it. Problems solved. Windows 10 support is coming to an end in 2025, anyway. Since you just got the new build setup this is the time to do it. You have very little time invested in OS calibration/customization to lose. Here's my upgrade guide. I suggest a clean install since I don't know what the ramifications of upgrading from a non-licensed version entail:
https://forums.sherdog.com/posts/166274878/

You're not getting any warnings or anything in software like HWInfo64 for the drive? Indications that it has had errors? That's usually a sign a drive failure is imminent. Older drives that are beginning to fail pass the disk checks, but these will show up in HWInfo. You'll see a yield sign next to the drive in the "Drive" tab of the Summary pane, for instance.
Nothing in HWInfo64. It passes all the SMART tests, no errors, etc so there's no indication of anything being wrong with it. It just won't accept a Linux install. And I just successfully installed Fedora on one of my old SATA SSDs (I had one for Windows and one for Steam, 120GB each, now superseded by the 1TB gen4 nvme I got to go with the cpu/mobo). I changed nothing in my bios and used the same installer as the one that previously failed. Seems like I need to look into whether HP has a warranty on those drives, it's barely a month old and it looks to be borked.

I'll look into Win11, but it doesn't excite me at the moment. The watermark seems to have disappeared (no clue why) so the only restriction is I can't customize appearance, which is whatever.

Nothing in HWInfo64. It passes all the SMART tests, no errors, etc so there's no indication of anything being wrong with it. It just won't accept a Linux install. And I just successfully installed Fedora on one of my old SATA SSDs (I had one for Windows and one for Steam, 120GB each, now superseded by the 1TB gen4 nvme I got to go with the cpu/mobo). I changed nothing in my bios and used the same installer as the one that previously failed. Seems like I need to look into whether HP has a warranty on those drives, it's barely a month old and it looks to be borked.

I'll look into Win11, but it doesn't excite me at the moment. The watermark seems to have disappeared (no clue why) so the only restriction is I can't customize appearance, which is whatever.
It definitely sounds like you've narrowed the issue to that drive. It almost sounds like you've got a firmware corruption, or something like that, to not be able to install distros. Of course, the best solution to that would be to figure out how (if possible for your drive) to do a clean uninstall/reinstall of its firmware-- not merely an update. That tool may not even exist. If it did, it would require the drive to be clean, anyway, which means you'd need to install an OS on another drive, launch yourself into the OS from that other drive, and execute a drive reformatting. Then you might be able to install firmware from scratch.

But that's pure speculation. It's just quite a serious issue, yeah. If you can RMA the drive, I'd do that.

Steelseries is having their Spring gaming sales. Up to 40% off on some items. Most sales are unremarkable:
https://steelseries.com/gaming-sales

On the headset front, the Steelseries 7p has won the top recommendation from most websites as the best wireless headset for the PS5 (also compatible with PC, PS4, Switch). Well, the minor upgrade, the Arctis 7p+, is on sale. The only major difference over its predecessor is that it has USB-C, quickcharging, and significantly improved battery life (30h vs. 24h). Although I did notice Rtings reports significantly reduced Treble performance in the unit they tested:
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/t...18946/29245?usage=19&threshold=0.10#main-diff
It's on sale for $136 which is 20% off the MSRP, and the lowest price ever seen on Amazon for this newer version is $161, so it's a legit sale.
https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-7p-plus?color=black
imgbuy_arctis_7p_black_1.jpg__1850x800_q100_crop-scale_optimize_subsampling-2.jpg

The Arctis 7x Wireless headset for the Xbox is on sale for $120 which is -$29 off the price Amazon always sold it for directly; however, this one reached as low as $100 from 3rd party resellers in the past. Still a good price since it has mostly disappeared from the market, and is currently $250 on Amazon due to the lack of supply:
https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-7x

Finally, the Stratus Duo controller which often ranks in the Top #25 bestsellers on Amazon is $10 off the Amazon price at $40. I have no idea if it's any good:
https://steelseries.com/gaming-controllers/stratus-duo

Framework is now selling their mainboards individually.
i5-1135G7 $399, i7-1165G7 $549, i7-1185G7 is $799. You still need to buy the dongles and 3d print a case. Displayport, HDMI, and SD card readers are $19. USB cards, A and C, are $9. Audio board is $15

8wuguaevmec6qttfjbv3btlg7r7p

811ce33b-7d28-4227-94d7-01aa77c7188e_blog2205+-+Mainboard+and+Open+Source+release+-+web+-+02.jpg

They're coming out with Intel 12th Gen boards

• Intel® Core™ i5-1240P $449.00
  • Intel® Core™ i7-1260P $699.00
  • Intel® Core™ i7-1280P $1,049.00

11th Gen discounts
Base $999.00 to $899.00
i5-1135G7 | 8GB Memory | 256GB Storage | WiFi 6 | Windows 10 Home
Performance $1,399.00 to $1,199.00 i7-1165G7 | 16GB Memory | 512GB Storage | WiFi 6 | Windows 10 Home
Professional $1,999.00 to $1,699.00 i7-1185G7 | 32GB Memory | 1TB Storage | WiFi 6 with vPro | Windows 10 Pro

DIY Intel i5-1135G7 (8M Cache, up to 4.20 GHz) $749.00 to $679.00

The 12th gen laptops will include an aluminum top cover. 11th gen can be upgraded for $89.

AMD's next big move was announced, and confirms what has already been leaked over the past two days, such as PCIe 5.0 and DDR5 support, though neither of those revelations geuinely surprised anyone, but there was a big twist I've highlighted in red.

AMD Ryzen 7000 Announced: 16 Cores of Zen 4, Plus PCIe 5 and DDR5 for Socket AM5, Coming This Fall
The new family, the Ryzen 7000 series, will feature up to 16 Zen 4 cores using TSMC's optimized 5 nm manufacturing process.

AMD Ryzen 7000 also officially marks the end of its long-serving AM4 socket, with the new AM5 LGA1718 socket replacing it with a freshly announced trio of new performance-driven chipsets, including X670E, X670, and B650.

AMD Ryzen 7000: Bringing Zen 4 and 5 nm to Consumer Desktop
...Zen 4 marks the first use of 5 nm for x86 desktop systems. The AMD Ryzen 7000 and Zen 4 are similar to Zen 3, including a chiplet-based design, with two Core Complex Dies (CCDs) based on TSMC's 5 nm manufacturing process...for now the company is disclosing that Zen 4 will come with 1MB of L2 cache per CPU core, which is twice the amount of L2 cache as found on Zen 3 (and Zen 2) CPU cores.

AMD is aiming for higher clockspeeds, thanks to their architectural design and TSMC's 5nm process. Officially the company is only claiming "5GHz+" max turbo clockspeeds for now, but in a demo video shown by Dr. Su, AMD's pre-production 16 core Ryzen 7000 chip was shown to be boosting to above 5.5GHz, which is a significant uplift from the sub-5GHz speeds of AMD's current Ryzen 5000 desktop chips.

As a result of these cache, architectural (IPC), and clockspeed improvements, AMD is touting a greater than 15% increase in single-threaded performance. And, checking AMD's disclosure notes, this is based on early Cinebench R23 notes, comparing their pre-production 16C Ryzen 7000 chip to a 16C 5950X. Given the significant clockspeed increases that AMD has demoed on this chip, this does imply that most of AMD's performance improvements are coming from the clockspeed improvements rather than IPC uplift.

For Ryzen 7000, AMD is also introducing a new 6 nm I/O die (IOD), which replaces the 14 nm IOD used in previous Zen 3 designs. Marking a first for AMD, the new IOD is incorporating an iGPU, in this case based on AMD's RDNA2 architecture. So with the Ryzen 7000 generation, all of AMD's CPUs will technically be APUs as well, as graphics is a basic part of the chip's construction.

On the matter of power, it's also noteworthy that AMD is indicating that Ryzen 7000 will operate at higher TDPs. While AMD isn't announcing official SKUs at this point, they are explicitly noting that the new AM5 platform allows for TDPs (CPU Package Power) up to 170 Watts in this generation, which is up from the 105W TDPs of the AM4-based Ryzen 5000 series.

Last, but certainly not least, AMD's Zen 4 microarchitecture combined with the new IOD also brings about a host of new features, including official support for PCIe 5.0, much like Intel introduced with its Alder Lake (12th Gen Core) architecture. Combining AMD Ryzen 7000 with an X670E, X670, or B650 motherboard will provide up to 24x PCIe lanes split between slots and storage devices...

AM5 also brings quad-channel (128-bit) DDR5 support to AMD's platforms, which promises a significant boost in memory bandwidth. And, in an interesting move, AMD is offering only DDR5 support. Unlike Intel, whom we saw support both DDR5 and DDR4 with its Alder Lake platform last year, AMD is not including any kind of support for older memory formats here.

One interesting thing that we've already mentioned is that AMD Ryzen 7000 will move to support processors up to 170 W on Zen 4, as opposed to 105 W TDP found on processors such as AMD's previous Ryzen 9 5950X. AMD is also using a new heat spreader (IHS) design on Ryzen 7000, which AMD has done to allow compatibility with previous socket AM4 coolers. This means that theoretically, users looking to upgrade to Ryzen 7000 will be able to use pre-existing coolers with socket AM4 support....

Finally, the platform will come with an upgrade to AMD's USB capabilities, though seemingly not as much as we had first hoped. According to AMD, the platform supports up to 14 SuperSpeed USB 20Gbps (USB 3.2 Gen 2x2) Type-C ports. Notably, AMD isn't saying anything about USB4 here, so while 20Gbps ports are nothing to sneeze at, it doesn't look like AM5 will offer the higher speeds and other perks of USB4 – at least not with this first generation of products.

Recent LTT video was a genius idea of how to integrate radiator cooling into the desk. Smarter way should exist making it the industry standard for years to come.

Thanks for the help sherbro, this kinda sucks for me since I'm a big fan of the ds4 and hate the bulky dualsense. Surprised with the lack of custom controllers on the ps5 so far.

Man.. The PS5 controller is the best PS controller I've ever held. It's arguably the best one ever IMO.

Man.. The PS5 controller is the best PS controller I've ever held. It's arguably the best one ever IMO.
I never liked big controllers like xbox and dualsense. I prefer something a bit more snug.