Tech Gaming Hardware discussion (& Hardware Sales) thread

The OS where you can't customize icons in the Start Menu at all?

The OS where you can't create a shortcut to the Bluetooth Settings toggle, for example, to turn it on and off?

The OS where you have zero control over the original naming of the User Folder with a clean install, and where modifying that user folder name to, let's say, you're first fucking name, only possible by tediously employing a second admin account, then instituting a registry modification, results in a all sorts of broken OS-level handshakes like the inability to pin anything to the taskbar?

Windows 11 is a heaping pile of shit. If I could game on Mac or Linux I would gladly switch today.
The search functionality, I prefer in Windows TBH. Not a fan of Mac's Spotlight search. Also window management, I feel is better in Windows. My biggest issues with windows does lie in Folder/file management. I do agree with that. But I spend much more time using search and Window management, and I like how free it is.

@Madmick Should DRAMless SSDs still be avoided as boot drives in 2021? Even NVMe with HMB?
It's not ideal, and considering how insignificant the premium is for DRAM-carrying drives are, today, there's not a compelling reason not to get one. We're talking like +$15 for a 1TB drive.

Nevertheless, FYI, the significance of DRAM in SSDs was always laughably overexaggerated by the same sophomoric dilettantes like those you encountered on Tom's Hardware and the PCMR sub. If they were that bad, then Microsoft wouldn't have put one in the Series X. It offers virtually no tangible benefit to gamers as far as performance, except perhaps shorter install times for very large games that take a long time to install. Drive endurance is so great that it's hard to think of any gamer that would affect, either.

I just looked over today's prices, and I'd advise this purchase:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yTTzK8/crucial-p5-1-tb-m2-2280-nvme-solid-state-drive-ct1000p5ssd8

Just was reading the reviews for the mybook and it doesnt have a fan, which could be problematic, but maybe not. Also no LED indication that the device is on or not, which isnt a big deal, but in terms of User Experience, it would be nice.

Aside from those 2 minor things it looks like the best one around.

Just was reading the reviews for the mybook and it doesnt have a fan, which could be problematic, but maybe not. Also no LED indication that the device is on or not, which isnt a big deal, but in terms of User Experience, it would be nice.

Aside from those 2 minor things it looks like the best one around.
It doesn't look like the Elements line has a fan either.

ok sherbros.
i am of the lucky RNGesus race this yr.
snagged both the next gens and a decent gaming laptop.
the laptop pushing much higher frame rates has me shopping for a gaming monitor for black friday. to get max performance/quality out of the consoles

torn between the samsung odyssey g70a (the 4k version) at a comfy 28 inches (decent deal for BF at best buy) flat panel
and a few monitors in the QHD department (random black friday deals) most are curved
the qhd's are a bit bigger, have better frame rates that the xbox/ps5 wont ever reach. but the ps5 is either 1080 or 4k 1440 not supported from my digging.

they are currently hooked up to a giant flat panel 4k 60fps but the 17 inch laptop at higher fps kinda killed that experience

any of you nerds got any suggestions? will i even notice a difference in 2k/4k on a 28-34 inch monitor at 120+ frames per second?
the ps5 is for a few exclusives that are not even out yet. so the main driver will be the xbox and the future desktop build.
so the monitor also has the pc in mind down the road too.

cheers shernerds
happy holidays
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...oc=Narrativ&mpid=376373&ref=198&skuId=6463480

https://www.gamestop.com/consoles-h...RiYia9h0d5AeyBekevxoCrsIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

these are the 2 monitors i am looking at
pretty new to monitors so i figured id get a little input from you pc heads.

What are your computer's specs?

You almost certainly want the 1440p option unless your comp is gangbusters, and you're someone who never really plays competitive games online.

What are your computer's specs?

You almost certainly want the 1440p option unless your comp is gangbusters, and you're someone who never really plays competitive games online.
no pc yet. that will be next year. the monitor is for the ps5 and series x for now.
but when i do get around to a pc. ill get a prebuilt with a high end card since thats the only way to get a high end card for the next few years at the minimum

so i have the capability to push 4k @120fps now. actually thats as high as i can go on fps with either console.
as far as the pc, i would absolutely be upgrading from the laptops specs. which is low/mid tier to current standards. 1070ti i believe. so i would try to get into the new gen of cards when i do upgrade.
the ps5 is only 1080 or 4k doesnt support 1440. which is a bucket of dog water
i guess my overall question would be. would i even notice that sort of pixel difference at double the fps?
and I personally would prefer that overall wow factor by the screen with minimal blur. as competitive as i get would be trials in destiny 2. so not very at the time
thanks for the response bro
and happy turkey day to all of ya's

no pc yet. that will be next year. the monitor is for the ps5 and series x for now.
but when i do get around to a pc. ill get a prebuilt with a high end card since thats the only way to get a high end card for the next few years at the minimum

so i have the capability to push 4k @120fps now. actually thats as high as i can go on fps with either console.
as far as the pc, i would absolutely be upgrading from the laptops specs. which is low/mid tier to current standards. 1070ti i believe. so i would try to get into the new gen of cards when i do upgrade.
the ps5 is only 1080 or 4k doesnt support 1440. which is a bucket of dog water
i guess my overall question would be. would i even notice that sort of pixel difference at double the fps?
and I personally would prefer that overall wow factor by the screen with minimal blur. as competitive as i get would be trials in destiny 2. so not very at the time
thanks for the response bro
and happy turkey day to all of ya's
If this is for a console, not a PC, you don't want a G-Sync monitor. You want a monitor with Freesync capability. It would be ideal to get one that is G-Sync certified in case the PC you build/buy opts carries an NVIDIA GPU.

You want to see this thread:
Gaming monitor for next gen console
Previous post on this topic here. It addressed an XSX poster, but PS5 and XSX owner desires for a display are identical.
Anyone Buying a TV for Their New Consoles

Updated link for my customized Rtings table (updated so that results are for their latest test bench methodology scores):
https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/table/68122

Cliffs: you want an LG OLED TV from one of their premier lines (C, G, B, or E lines). If you have to compromise on budget look for something from HiSense or TCL in the 43"-50" range. If you're looking for a smaller screen, just define the ceiling size limit in the slider. Unless we're talking 27" or smaller then the TVs will almost always be superior values.

Whoops, I just noticed those are my customized TV tables for Rtings. You want the monitor since you'll be attaching a PC to this, I presume. Since this is also intended to service consoles, I'd opt for 4K, and I'd prioritze the "HDR Gaming" column for ranking them.
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/table/70370

If this is for a console, not a PC, you don't want a G-Sync monitor. You want a monitor with Freesync capability. It would be ideal to get on that is G-Sync certified in case the PC you build/buy opts carries an NVIDIA GPU.

You want to see this thread:
Gaming monitor for next gen console
much appreciated man.
i have a nice LG but i want something much smaller for the gaming desk. 70 inch is just too big for me.
and i am a fan of the nvidia side. so i think this answers my questions
the 4k 144hz samsung is freesync and gsync. so its perfect for the 4k capabilities i have now.

off question. my laptop has an hdmi out. and gsync. could i dual screen with the monitor from the laptop? or even just game on the monitor from the laptop? if so then i def want the gsync as well

It’s no secret that TSMC maintains a preferential relationship with Apple. The Cupertino-based iPhone maker is TSMC’s largest customer, after all. But some of its other customers don’t seem to be very happy about it. A new report suggests that AMD is looking to switch to Samsung for its 3nm products due to the Taiwanese chipmaker’s priority treatment of Apple.

Many big chipmakers, including Apple, AMD, and Qualcomm, have a fabless model. They design their own chips but don’t have manufacturing facilities. They source out the production to the likes of TSMC and Samsung, the two largest contract chip manufacturing companies in the world. The former occupies a lion’s share in this market. It manufactures chips for all three aforementioned companies, though Qualcomm also sources out some products to Samsung.

However, amid an unprecedented global semiconductor chip shortage, the Taiwanese giant is reportedly reserving more and more wafers for its largest customer, i.e. Apple. As such, AMD is finding it difficult to secure enough wafers from the company for its next-gen products. Displeased by TSMC’s unequal treatment of its customers, AMD is now reportedly planning to shift to Samsung. It feels compelled to make this shift, the report suggests.

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2021/11/amd-shift-samsung-tsmc-3nm-chips.html

Bought another 140mm 160cfm Noctua fan. Moved my two ML120's to rear and top exhaust. Placing both Noctuas as front intake. Dropped my CPU temp when under gaming load dramatically. Limited testing so far has my CPU not peak above 66C.

giphy.gif