GAME OF THRONES/LOTR Type series you suggest

Whats the order of these books?

I looked at amazon and became confussed right away, Day 1 and Part 1.

The Name of the Wind
Wise Man's Fear

The Doors of Stone is the 3rd but not finished yet

The Kingkiller Chronicles is good.

For those who have read it:

Is anyone concerned about the last book? I mean, Kvothe is still like 17-years-old and it seems present-day Kvothe is at least upper-20's to early-30's. Essentially, over two books, Kvothe has told the Chronicler about 5-7 years of his life

The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day One) by Patrick Rothfuss. Amazing. Folks in my office are now passing it around. I was actual felt like something was missing in my life atfter i finished the first 2 books in the series. The third and final books in the series is supposed to come out later this year.

The female character annoyed the living fuck out of me. I really had to force myself to finish it because of her. Havent read the 2nd yet, I hear she aint as bad.

Just finished Red Country and loved the shit out of it. There were some cool little homages/easter egg type things too.

Last edited:
also is the black company a series of one company and follow the same group?? Or are they different story lines??

I'm on book 7 or 8, lol not sure.

The books follow one company, the Black Company. Except one book which kinda moves off, The Silver Spike I think.

I've read not all but a lot of fantasy suggested here, so take this as you will.

The Black Company is my fav fantasy book EVAR. However, the rest suck, I mean the series goes down hill fast. The feel of the first novel is never recaptured.

I'm still reading them all, mainly b/c I want to see how it ends.

there are 9 books plus silver spike in the black company series... silver spike kinda
happens after the 3rd or 4th book and follows some characters who did move on
with the black company. I agree with this to an extent, the first books books
were better then the last few books.

Joe Abercrombie, he shits on all fantasy.

The Heroes is the best book I have ever read.

Anyone looking for some classic fantasy has to check out The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

Most of what I would recommend had already been mentioned, but I would say the closest thing to game of thrones is easily malazan. I finished the entire series and it was absolutely amazing. It took about 300 pages of the first book to get into, but it has some of the best character development I've ever read. My only issue with it is sometimes Erikson goes off on ethical and philosophical rants.

The black company was the closest for me to lord of the rings. The style of that also takes some getting used to but the series is really good.

All of joe Abercrombie stuff is top notch, love it all.

Kingkiller chronicles blew my mind as well. Fantastic.

Ive read all the ASOIAF books, all the LOTR, the Inheritance trilogy, and the Dunk and Egg trilogy... any series youve read and enjoyed in the same genre you can suggest would be appreciated.

Peter F. Hamilton's series starting with "Pandora's Star" is like a sci-fi game of thrones. Epic to the max, great characters, tons of intrigue, fun to read.

David Gemmell's Troy trilogy is some epic historical fantasy.

David Eddings' Belgariad series is fast paced and great fun. It's definitely more light hearted than GOT.

I really like Eddings as well, but everybody seems to want gritty, miserable fantasy these days so i don't bring it up.

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time
http://www.amazon.com/The-World-Wheel-Time-Book/dp/0812511816

Now, before you other people burn me at the steak ....
this series was maligned by delays, books that seemingly meandered and the death of the auther... i fairly recently went back and re-read all of the books to prepare for the series finale releasin this month....on one read through, i wasnt nearly as annoyed at the meandering of say books like 5-10, and the last couple of books by jordan and the last couple of books by saunders have been pretty damn good. i think they are worth the read now that the ending is written

also, Runelords
http://www.amazon.com/Sum-All-Men-R...UTF8&qid=1357250819&sr=1-1&keywords=runelords

first three books are great with a really cool magic system...the last book of the first set felt rushed though...i think its worth reading for the first couple of books alone though

holy crap I can't believe you re-read WOT. I like it, but it's way too bloated. tough to recommend to people.

eh, i guess i more skimmed certain parts....honestly, it just wasnt nearly as frustrating to read as when i had to actually wait for books to be released

Mistborn was cool too as well as Warbreaker(standalone) by Sanderson. His magic systems are cool.

I tried really hard to get into Abercrombies first law series, I just don't care for his style of writing. Sometimes it felt like it was written by a kid.

The first Chronicles of Thomas Covenant is pretty fucking awesome,.

Wheel of Time is the obvious choice.

The Felix & Gortek series from Warhammer is also supposed to be realllly good.

Malazan book of the fallen series is good as well.

So far, this is the only series that has come close to ASOIAF for me.

The Prince of Nothing comes close, but it's less interesting than Malazan.

Back