GAME OF THRONES/LOTR Type series you suggest

Have you see Legend of the Seeker? It is on netflix. boy that bish Bridget Regan is one smoking broad. Actually I dont want to call her a bish she is so beautiful. But it is about swords and sorcery. It is not as dark as Game of Thrones, but it has some death, and is not so tragic either.

It's loosely based on the Sword of Truth series. SOT is pretty good (mostly the first three books), but Legend of the Seeker sucks. They basically rewrote the series. If they only followed the books, the show could have been great.

the thomas covenant chronicles had to be the most depressing series I have ever read
this is not a criticism. I read both first and second chronicles.... the main character
I could never find a reason to like.... surrounded by supporting characters who I did...

I have always considered it a must read for fantasy, mordants need series by him
was also good as was his sci fi series the gap saga.

Eddings I dont like to say bad things about because I loved reading his series when I
was younger. They were a good light read, the elenium was probably his best.
He did tend to repeat things between his series and it always seems to never work
out well when every major character can wiggle their fingers and make the problem
go away.

It's loosely based on the Sword of Truth series. SOT is pretty good (mostly the first three books), but Legend of the Seeker sucks. They basically rewrote the series. If they only followed the books, the show could have been great.

as soon as the chicken that was not a chicken came up in those books i dropped them....i think that was when i was fed up

first three are great though, and if i remember correctly they are mostly stand alone

Wheel of Time is the obvious choice.

The Felix & Gortek series from Warhammer is also supposed to be realllly good.

Sadly, I disagree. I bought the whole series based on positive recommendations. It took me forever to get halfway through the first book. I started the first book of Malazan and within a week I was halfway through.

it's the truth. Sorry if I get bored with boring characters who follow others blindly into their own downfall.

I'd far prefer a complex character like Euron Greyjoy or Jamie Lannister. Not to mention the fact Jamie would slaughter any Stark in combat.

The only truly interesting Starks are Jon Snow(who is a Targaryen or Dayne anyways) and Arya.

I have a hunch we Stark fanboys are gonna have the last laugh

and your boy jamie will be a dead man soon enough

The Starks are morons painted in a sympathetic light. Everything they do in those books is stupid.

Sadly, I disagree. I bought the whole series based on positive recommendations. It took me forever to get halfway through the first book. I started the first book of Malazan and within a week I was halfway through.

Yeah... Wheel of Time is a Waste of Time. I can't believe anyone actually recommends it.

Currently reading The Name of the Wind of The Kingkiller Chronicles and am liking it very much.

But you cannot deny the divine beauty of Bridget Regan in medievel garb. That show ended a while ago, and I am surprised I dont see her in anything else. She would make an excellent femme fatale in some action movie.

Have you read Pillars of the Earth or World Without End? They made shows out of those, and they were pretty good. The tale is much more realistic though.

Bakker has one of the more dark, evil series about, which dives into (for some people, too much) philosophy, and socio/psychopathic monks :)

Its the best series I've ever read, ~6 times. ASOIAF 1.5 (his writing is dull as shit, but the plot is awesome), Malazan twice.

Bakkers hard to top.

Evil animals raping people to death with black semen? Magic in a more mechanistic / "realistic" fashion? Evil monks taking over the world (to a degree?)

I talk too much about the series I have nothing else to say.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000LMPL92
61H7V2XD5WL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Edit: I dig the Malazan books, but man some of the endings are stupidly disappointing (the series ending pissed me off, dull), their is a HUGE influx of characters almost every book, and they start "repeating" themselves. But is has some epic "ah FUCK" moments, and one of the larger "scopes" in fantasy.

Bakkers endings (not done yet), on the other hand (to steal a quote from Erikson (of Malazan)), "afflicts me with awe."

Martin, Erikson, and Bakker are definitely at the top of genre.

Eddings I dont like to say bad things about because I loved reading his series when I
was younger. They were a good light read, the elenium was probably his best.
He did tend to repeat things between his series and it always seems to never work
out well when every major character can wiggle their fingers and make the problem
go away.

Pretty much. You know pretty much exactly where the stories are headed, but they are a light enjoyable read anyway.

Pretty much. You know pretty much exactly where the stories are headed, but they are a light enjoyable read anyway.

never read eddings, but thats how i feel about terry brooks

Bakker has one of the more dark, evil series about, which dives into (for some people, too much) philosophy, and socio/psychopathic monks :)

Its the best series I've ever read, ~6 times. ASOIAF 1.5 (his writing is dull as shit, but the plot is awesome), Malazan twice.

Bakkers hard to top.

Evil animals raping people to death with black semen? Magic in a more mechanistic / "realistic" fashion? Evil monks taking over the world (to a degree?)

I talk too much about the series I have nothing else to say.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000LMPL92
61H7V2XD5WL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Edit: I dig the Malazan books, but man some of the endings are stupidly disappointing (the series ending pissed me off, dull), their is a HUGE influx of characters almost every book, and they start "repeating" themselves. But is has some epic "ah FUCK" moments, and one of the larger "scopes" in fantasy.

Bakkers endings (not done yet), on the other hand (to steal a quote from Erikson (of Malazan)), "afflicts me with awe."

I'm behind on this series, only read the first 3 so far... enjoyable series and dark as
hell.

i'm a little surprised no one has mentioned raymond e. feist yet these were a great
read and not quite as light as eddings was.

i think im between the malazan or the black company... anyone read both?? suggestions on which?

Back