GAME OF THRONES/LOTR Type series you suggest

theocean

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Ive read all the ASOIAF books, all the LOTR, the Inheritance trilogy, and the Dunk and Egg trilogy... any series youve read and enjoyed in the same genre you can suggest would be appreciated.

The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day One) by Patrick Rothfuss. Amazing. Folks in my office are now passing it around. I was actual felt like something was missing in my life atfter i finished the first 2 books in the series. The third and final books in the series is supposed to come out later this year.

Malazan book of the fallen series is good as well.

That being said nothing will stack up to ASOIAF. It's easily the best book series of all time. No one, I mean no one, crafts well thought out characters or interesting lore like George RR Martin.

That being said if that fat fuck dies before ASOIAF and Tales of Dunk and Egg are finished I'll shit on his grave.

Agree with Pizzo, great series.

You may also want to consider the following authors:

Guy Gavriel Kay: (Fionavar Tapestry, A Song for Arbon, Tigana)
Joe Abercrombine (First Law Series, the Heroes)
R Scott Baker (the prince of nothing)

Anyways, I've enjoyed reading them, but I'm sure others will chime in

I think you might enjoy some historical fiction. Check out Bernard Cornwell his stuff is pretty cool. George RR Martin raves about Bernard Cornwell and spends his time interviewing him instead of writing ASOIAF lol

Malazan book of the fallen series is good as well.

That being said nothing will stack up to ASOIAF. It's easily the best book series of all time. No one, I mean no one, crafts well thought out characters or interesting lore like George RR Martin.

In your opinion. I liked the first three, but he killed too many characters and then introduced a bunch I didn't really care about.

I suggest the farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb TS. George RR Martin is a fan if that helps.

In your opinion. I liked the first three, but he killed too many characters and then introduced a bunch I didn't really care about.

I suggest the farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb TS. George RR Martin is a fan if that helps.

Sorry but characters die. It's completely unrealistic that in other books people go through half a dozen wars and tons of battles yet somehow never die.

In fact the most memorable sequences in Martin books are the Red Wedding and Tywin/Tyrion.

I notice most of the people mad at Martin are just Stark fanboys butthurt their favorite characters nobility, honor and dumb ass pride led to their deaths.

Feast and Dance are simply not as good as the first three.

Feast and Dance are simply not as good as the first three.

that's an opinion. I'll take a book filled with Jaime lannister, the Greyjoys, and Stannis/Melisandre over books filled with the Starks.

it's the truth. Sorry if I get bored with boring characters who follow others blindly into their own downfall.

I'd far prefer a complex character like Euron Greyjoy or Jamie Lannister. Not to mention the fact Jamie would slaughter any Stark in combat.

The only truly interesting Starks are Jon Snow(who is a Targaryen or Dayne anyways) and Arya.

that's an opinion. I'll take a book filled with Jaime lannister, the Greyjoys, and Stannis/Melisandre over books filled with the Starks.

It's not just about which characters are the focus.

It's the fact that absolutely NOTHING happens in Feast and Dance.

But also the fact that Brienne, Quentyn Martell, Aegon and everyone in Dany's story except Barristan are shitty characters not worth the effort and time Martin wasted in writing about them.

Terry Brooks' Shannara series? There's a good 20 books in it, broken up into various arcs of 3-4 books at varying points in the mythology's timeline. Start with "The Sword Of Shannara" followed by "Elfstones of Shannara" then "Song of Shannara".

The rest of the series is listed at the following link in the author's suggested order for those new to the series.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Brooks#Shannara_series

Basically it's the publication order, but NOT the in-story chronological order. "Sword of Shannara" and the two following are roughly mid-way through the chronology.

It's not bad. It gets some flack for being a little too similar to LOTR at times, and has dashes of some other series', but I think that it gets a little too much, really. Most fantasy stories seem to borrow from Tolkien to some extent.

I will admit that it took me a few tries to ignore it's similarities to LOTR, but I googled some summaries for the series, and what I read intrigued me enough to give it another try. I'm working on Elfstones, atm. It's pretty good, so far.

The movie rights for the first book have been picked up, so maybe there will be something on the big screen in the near future (or maybe they were picked up just to keep anyone else from using them).

Sorry but characters die. It's completely unrealistic that in other books people go through half a dozen wars and tons of battles yet somehow never die.

Yeah, characters die, but there's a line between being realistic and killing off characters for plot/dramatic purposes ( I think Joss Whedon is really good at this, with his work on Buffy/Angel ), and there's killing them off just because you can and get some enjoyment out of screwing with your audience (which is where I think Martin strays too far into).

Haven't moved past book/season 1, and I'm not sure if I'll continue on or not.

It's not just about which characters are the focus.

It's the fact that absolutely NOTHING happens in Feast and Dance.

But also the fact that Brienne, Quentyn Martell, Aegon and everyone in Dany's story except Barristan are shitty characters not worth the effort and time Martin wasted in writing about them.

I like Brienee, Aegon/Tyrion/Connington so I'd have to disagree. In fact they are some of my favorite characters(especially if Aegon ends up a Blackfyre not a Targaryen).

it's the truth. Sorry if I get bored with boring characters who follow others blindly into their own downfall.

I'd far prefer a complex character like Euron Greyjoy or Jamie Lannister. Not to mention the fact Jamie would slaughter any Stark in combat.

The only truly interesting Starks are Jon Snow(who is a Targaryen or Dayne anyways) and Arya.

ned stark was actually close to jaime when they fought in game of thrones... so
slaughter is probably the wrong word.
Not really disagreeing with anything else you said although sansa does have her
moments.

Will add my voice to the malazan series being written by steven eriksson and
ian esslemont
http://www.malazanempire.com/site/

also the Twilight Reign by Tom Lloyd I have really enjoyed
http://www.tomlloyd.co.uk/

As to close to LOTR... Dennis L. McKiernan wrote some really good novels that
he calls a homage to LOTR, others may called a rip off. I enjoyed the books in
that series.

Michael A. Stackpoles Dragoncrown war cycle was really good imo
The death gate cycle by Margret Weis and Tracy Hickman as well.

Terry Brooks' Shannara series? There's a good 20 books in it, broken up into various arcs of 3-4 books at varying points in the mythology's timeline. Start with "The Sword Of Shannara" followed by "Elfstones of Shannara" then "Song of Shannara".

The rest of the series is listed at the following link in the author's suggested order for those new to the series.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Brooks#Shannara_series

Basically it's the publication order, but NOT the in-story chronological order. "Sword of Shannara" and the two following are roughly mid-way through the chronology.

It's not bad. It gets some flack for being a little too similar to LOTR at times, and has dashes of some other series', but I think that it gets a little too much, really. Most fantasy stories seem to borrow from Tolkien to some extent.

I will admit that it took me a few tries to ignore it's similarities to LOTR, but I googled some summaries for the series, and what I read intrigued me enough to give it another try. I'm working on Elfstones, atm. It's pretty good, so far.

The movie rights for the first book have been picked up, so maybe there will be something on the big screen in the near future (or maybe they were picked up just to keep anyone else from using them).

Yeah, characters die, but there's a line between being realistic and killing off characters for plot/dramatic purposes ( I think Joss Whedon is really good at this, with his work on Buffy/Angel ), and there's killing them off just because you can and get some enjoyment out of screwing with your audience (which is where I think Martin strays too far into).

Haven't moved past book/season 1, and I'm not sure if I'll continue on or not.

Lol you've only read book 1 and you've come to this conclusion? Seriously there are what two major characters who die in book 1? Both of whom died realistically.

Seriously the only way anyone could come to this conclusion is if they are a Stark fanboy. Eddard political follies were awful. Acting like his death was just George RR messing with his readers is a hilarious viewpoint.

ned stark was actually close to jaime when they fought in game of thrones... so
slaughter is probably the wrong word.
Not really disagreeing with anything else you said although sansa does have her
moments.

Will add my voice to the malazan series being written by steven eriksson and
ian esslemont
http://www.malazanempire.com/site/

also the Twilight Reign by Tom Lloyd I have really enjoyed
http://www.tomlloyd.co.uk/

As to close to LOTR... Dennis L. McKiernan wrote some really good novels that
he calls a homage to LOTR, others may called a rip off. I enjoyed the books in
that series.

Michael A. Stackpoles Dragoncrown war cycle was really good imo
The death gate cycle by Margret Weis and Tracy Hickman as well.

no Eddard Stark was never fought to be anywhere close to the swordsman Jamie was. He was a solid battle planner and commander but as a swordsman it's not a comparison.

Even George Martin has stated this. He called Jamie pre crippling the best swordsman in Westeros.

it's an opinion, not the truth. books 4 and 5 are poorly plotted and don't progress the story nearly enough. IMO

no Eddard Stark was never fought to be anywhere close to the swordsman Jamie was. He was a solid battle planner and commander but as a swordsman it's not a comparison.

Even George Martin has stated this. He called Jamie pre crippling the best swordsman in Westeros.

ahhh... the problem with watching show much more recently then reading the book
they never fought in the book.... I sit corrected.

Books 4 and 5: People wandering, not getting to where they were going.

RIVETING STUFF!!!!

Martin has lost control of his story.

Half of Dance is about a march to a battle in a blizzard between relatively insignificant forces and then....the battle doesn't even happen!

Back