GAME OF THRONES/LOTR Type series you suggest

Lol you've only read book 1 and you've come to this conclusion? Seriously there are what two major characters who die in book 1? Both of whom died realistically.

Seriously the only way anyone could come to this conclusion is if they are a Stark fanboy. Eddard political follies were awful. Acting like his death was just George RR messing with his readers is a hilarious viewpoint.

Hi, there's this thing, called the internet. Maybe you've heard of it. Well, there are things called book synopses out there that provide a brief overview of the story, hitting the major plotlines. :rolleyes:

Much like I did with the Shannara books, I wasn't particularly convinced of continuing on, so I checked out the synopsis of each following book to see if I felt it worth actually reading (I don't really give a damn about spoilers, as if a book isn't worth reading twice, is it really worth reading?). Needless to say they mention most of the character's fates (at least as far as been written when I looked).

Maybe they make more sense with the full story, but it hasn't really drawn my attention enough to read. I'm not a fanboy of any character, as I haven't invested anything in them.

Hi, there's this thing, called the internet. Maybe you've heard of it. Well, there are things called book synopses out there that provide a brief overview of the story, hitting the major plotlines. :rolleyes:

Much like I did with the Shannara books, I wasn't particularly convinced of continuing on, so I checked out the synopsis of each following book to see if I felt it worth actually reading (I don't really give a damn about spoilers, as if a book isn't worth reading twice, is it really worth reading?). Needless to say they mention most of the character's fates (at least as far as been written when I looked).

Maybe they make more sense with the full story, but it hasn't really drawn my attention enough to read. I'm not a fanboy of any character, as I haven't invested anything in them.

how can you possibly judge a characters death based on snippets of the book and opinions of message board posters.

There really isn't a death in the entire book that doesn't make sense imo.

I'm going to have to disagree with you then.

Your argument was that other authors kill of characters because it fits the plot, and Martin does it because he can.

If you haven't actually read the books, you would then be unable to conclude whether a death fits the plot or not.

I don't personally think ASOIAF is the greatest series ever (top 5 so far, in my opinion, pending how it ends), but it's still a great series.

A few I would suggest is The Malazen Tale of the Fallen from Steven Erikson, The Prince of Nothing and The Aspect Emperor from R. Scott Bakker, Chronicles of the Black Company from Glen Cook, and the Book of All Hous duology from Hal Duncan.

saw The Hobbit today.

GoT >>>>>>>>>>>

Rains of Castamere >>>>>>>>>>

Legends by Weis and Hickman set in the Dragonlance universe is my all time favorite fantasy story. I've read a ton of fantasy too.

how can you possibly judge a characters death based on snippets of the book and opinions of message board posters.

Although I agree with you for the most part, it seems like some of the characters will step out of their normal characteristics in order to make a major event happen.

A good example is Ned's death vs the RW. Ned's death was very feasible and you could see him truly proclaiming things that would ensure his demise simply because he's so proud and honest. The RW, however, seemed incredibly forced to me. There were tons of warnings leading up to it that could have prevented the whole thing if Rob would have just paid attention. I also have a hard time believing that someone raised by Ned fucking Stark would betray an oath and pull the shit that Rob pulled.

Just my opinion of course. I'm a SoIaF fanatic too.

I'm going to have to disagree with you then.

Your argument was that other authors kill of characters because it fits the plot, and Martin does it because he can.

If you haven't actually read the books, you would then be unable to conclude whether a death fits the plot or not.

I don't personally think ASOIAF is the greatest series ever (top 5 so far, in my opinion, pending how it ends), but it's still a great series.

A few I would suggest is The Malazen Tale of the Fallen from Steven Erikson, The Prince of Nothing and The Aspect Emperor from R. Scott Bakker, Chronicles of the Black Company from Glen Cook, and the Book of All Hous duology from Hal Duncan.

I'm just going on what I have read and the opinions of friends whom have similar tastes that have read the series so far. They weren't the biggest fans and I tend to trust their opinions.

Maybe reading the rest of the series would enlighten me, but I struggled to remain interested in the first book and the synopses didn't lead me to believe it would get any better as I went on.

Maybe I'll come back to them at some future date, but I'm juggling a few series at the moment (the aformentioned Shannara series, the Kay Scarpetta crime/mystery novels, The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand, and a few "must read" classics, among others)

Going to have to keep an eye on this thread for recommendations.

Books 4 and 5: People wandering, not getting to where they were going.

RIVETING STUFF!!!!

Martin has lost control of his story.

Half of Dance is about a march to a battle in a blizzard between relatively insignificant forces and then....the battle doesn't even happen!

Don't forget about turtles, and "words are wind"

I'm currently reading the White Rose by Glenn Cook, the third of his many Black Company books. Very good stuff so far, kind of dark fantasy that follows the deeds of the elite mercenary band, the Black Company.

Just finished reading Shogun by James Clavell several days ago. It's historical fiction based on Japan in 1600, plenty of political intrigue and scheming if you enjoyed that aspect of the A Song of Ice and Fire books. I liked it a lot and will be looking for the next book in his series in the near future.

I have only read one Bernard Cornwell book, Azincourt. It follows the experiences of the English archer Nick Hook, eventually culminating in the famous battle from which the book derives title. I enjoyed this book a great deal, especially the battle scenes. Good historical fiction. I also recently bought The Last Kingdom and The Fort by Bernard Cornwell, but it will probably be a little while before I get around to reading them.

Have you see Legend of the Seeker? It is on netflix. boy that bish Bridget Regan is one smoking broad. Actually I dont want to call her a bish she is so beautiful. But it is about swords and sorcery. It is not as dark as Game of Thrones, but it has some death, and is not so tragic either.

I'm just going on what I have read and the opinions of friends whom have similar tastes that have read the series so far. They weren't the biggest fans and I tend to trust their opinions.

Maybe reading the rest of the series would enlighten me, but I struggled to remain interested in the first book and the synopses didn't lead me to believe it would get any better as I went on.

Maybe I'll come back to them at some future date, but I'm juggling a few series at the moment (the aformentioned Shannara series, the Kay Scarpetta crime/mystery novels, The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand, and a few "must read" classics, among others)

Going to have to keep an eye on this thread for recommendations.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you'll like ASOIAF, but it's definitely not just a bunch of characters dying for the hell of it.

That being said, books 2 and 3 (A Clash of Kings and A Storm of Swords) are probably, so far, the best in the series. You should at least try watching Season 2.

Terry Hickman and Margaret Weis dragonlance novels are good.

I wanna get back into redwall but man is that story long

His Dark Materials is an underrated trilogy, if a bit preachy.

The Rigante series by David Gemmell is worth the read.

Some of this stuff has already been said, but here goes.

The Black Company - Glen Cook (books one through three)
Malazan Book of the Fallen - Steven Erickson
The Kingkiller Chronicles - Patrick Rothfuss
Tigana, The Lions of Al'Rassan - Guy Gavriel Kay
The Way of Kings - Brandon Sanderson

It may be a stretch, but give Dune a try too, as it has the same struggle-for-power aspect despite being more sci fi.

was talking to a guy in the local small fantasy book type store asking if he had the dunk and egg stories and he suggested the PRIDING or PRIDLING series... anyone know what the actual title is and if the suggest it?

also is the black company a series of one company and follow the same group?? Or are they different story lines??

also is the black company a series of one company and follow the same group?? Or are they different story lines??

I'm on book 7 or 8, lol not sure.

The books follow one company, the Black Company. Except one book which kinda moves off, The Silver Spike I think.

I've read not all but a lot of fantasy suggested here, so take this as you will.

The Black Company is my fav fantasy book EVAR. However, the rest suck, I mean the series goes down hill fast. The feel of the first novel is never recaptured.

I'm still reading them all, mainly b/c I want to see how it ends.

The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day One) by Patrick Rothfuss. Amazing.

This, all day. I picked it up randomly a while after I finished ASOIAF and absolutely loved it. Loaned it for a friend and he loves it as well.

This, all day. I picked it up randomly a while after I finished ASOIAF and absolutely loved it. Loaned it for a friend and he loves it as well.

Whats the order of these books?

I looked at amazon and became confussed right away, Day 1 and Part 1.

that's an opinion. I'll take a book filled with Jaime lannister, the Greyjoys, and Stannis/Melisandre over books filled with the Starks.

Love Jaime, Stannis, Brienne, and most characters but Arya and Jon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> every Greyjoy combined with Connington and Griff thrown in for good measure.

IMO. :cool:

Back