Galvao Domination

that was crazy shit, probably one of the coolest displays i have ever seen

Anybody wanna help out and explain exactly what a knee reap is? Unless its something along the lines of repeated purposeful knee's to the testicles that seems really uncalled for. Very cool and impressive to watch. but still unnecessary.

jesus christ that was some brutal display of grappling... 0.o;

~Foz

wow, watching the knee ride was like fast forward and slow motion at the same time. That had to be humbling for the guy on the bottom

Sorry, but that looked like some unsportsmanlike bullshit to me. Classless. He made a fucking fool of his opponent, and I don't think it exactly made him look good either.

An example of a knee reap is a 50/50 heel hook where you wrap your legs around his knee like so.

I'm kind of amazed he had the balls to do that in competition, cause I saw the one of him with a student at the school where he was giving a seminar (iirc), but I guess if the ref could keep up with the points there, it wouldn't be a problem.
He wasn't scoring points during most of that exchange, so it was pretty easy to keep track of :) You have to hold a position before you get the points. If you look at the score card, he was up like 4-2 right before he won.

Andre Galvao is mad good, but I don't agree with that push he did. It was definitely unsportsmanlike. I meant there is not reason to humiliate a competitor that badly and aggressively push him unless he did something personal to him.

I just read the part about knee reap, I see why he did it now. He can potentially damage Galvao knee badly if it is what was described and was not part of the footage.

uahuahua i wonder if he did that to wanderlei. prob not the smartest thing

amazing, unsportsman but def. amazing

like others have asked, wtf is a knee reap?

Basically, it's applying heel hook pressure (which is illegal in the gi) without actually using your hands to heel hook someone.

Around the 1 minute mark, you can briefly see his opponent wrapping his outside leg under Galvao's leg and then bringing it around and over Galvao's leg. If Galvao's opponent's foot were to stay on Galvao's hip, he could maintain control without applying pressure on the knee. However, if Galvao's opponent were to remove his foot from the hip and take his leg (shin/calf) and bring it lower towards Galvao's knee, that could put a tremendous amount of pressure on the MCL, ACL, and meniscus; thereby breaking it without actually even doing a heel hook.

This would be even worse if Galvao were to actually try to base against it, and would obviously be bad as well Galvao went with it.

In otherwords, it's a heel hook, and recognized as such. Galvao was implying that it was a knee reap, and may have been (You can't tell from the footage). But either way, it something that's been called in many IBJJF tourneys.

The 50/50 isn't considered a knee reap only because the inside/out pressure applied on knee isn't as bad because the knee is given a chance and space to "buckle" without injurying it (in other words, there's more give). The opposite side, however, there isn't much give at all.

Hope this helps.

That was beautiful. *goes and gets stability ball* haha

Back