Fun Project - All-Time Heavy Weight Championship

mschatz

Hamma: I has it
Reaction score
In a single elimination tournament of the 16 greatest heavyweight fighters of all time, who comes out on top? To avoid my own personal bias, I borrowed the top 16 list from the FAQ in this forum, and set them up tournament style where #1 goes against #16, #2 vs #15, etc. Now, styles make fights, so there are upsets, and there are cases where a much more accomplished fighter might get knocked off by a lesser name.

TOC.jpg

First Round Match-Ups
  • Joe Louis advances past Ezzard Charles with his non-stop boxer-puncher style
  • Holyfield guts it out one more time over Jim Jeffries
  • In the first major upset of the tourny, Gene Tunney out-points Rocky Marciano. Tunney
  • beat Dempsey in every round the first time they fought. Marciano might beat him the second time they fight, but not the first.
  • In the fight of the night, Foreman and Liston go head to head in a violent brawl. Foreman's bothered by Liston's powerful jabs for the first 4-5 rounds, but figures out the puzzle in the 8the round to win a decisive knock out victory
  • Ali takes a SD victory over Patterson
  • Frazier takes a tremendous beating, but finally lands a left hook that puts Dempsey down and out
  • Lewis is a matchup nightmare for Jack Johnson and takes a wide decision
  • Holmes weathers Tyson's early storm and gets a late TKO

Who have you got winning out of Lewis/Foreman?

Round 2 Match-ups

Louis, too strong and just a bit too skilled for Holyfield.

Tunney dances for a couple rounds, but Foreman catches him, and when he does, game over.

Ali-Frazier 4 turns out to be an incredible battle just like the first 3. Ali took 2/3 before and he takes this one as well.

Now it gets tough. Lewis vs Holmes, in a matchup that has Holmes, often underrated even when he's put in the top 5 of all time, against Lewis, an absolute stylistic disaster for just about every heavyweight of all time. I put Lewis on the chart, but writing this out, I have to go with Holmes

Semi-final bouts

Foreman, too big and strong for Louis. Late KO, and he advances to the finals.

Holmes beats up on Ali to prove he should have been the one to get the most attention.

Finals

???

also, If Larry Holmes gets to switch brackets, I feel like he makes it to the finals

also, If Larry Holmes gets to switch brackets, I feel like he makes it to the finals

read post #3. he makes it, but the picture didnt get updated. my bad. lazy after all that work.

too low, he should be higher than holyfield, sure holyfield had a bigger heart, but we're talking who's better right?

Not sure what it was judged on. I got this list from the FAQ, and its subjective, just like all all-time lists. It probably has to do as much with overall accomplishment as anything though, and you can make an easy argument that Holyfield is more accomplished then Lewis.

Not sure what it was judged on. I got this list from the FAQ, and its subjective, just like all all-time lists. It probably has to do as much with overall accomplishment as anything though, and you can make an easy argument that Holyfield is more accomplished then Lewis.

well if we go by that list than I will play by the rules.

I just wanted to see Holmie in the finals, but against an in-shape Lewis, I just dont know. I mean, Larry could do it, he definitley could, but he could also get beat at his own game, but im down with the holmie so WAR LARRY!

Sorry but a prime Mike Tyson KO's all fifteen of them, if necessary.

When Holmes DID fight Tyson, he said the thing about Tyson was not only did he hit HARD, but you can't see the punches coming..so fast and from strange angles. This is a guy who was in the ring with some of the greatest fighters of his era and all time, and that is what he said about Tyson. He never said that about any other fighter. There was a time when Tyson was disciplined, in a zone and simple a killer.

Sorry but a prime Mike Tyson KO's all fifteen of them, if necessary.

When Holmes DID fight Tyson, he said the thing about Tyson was not only did he hit HARD, but you can't see the punches coming..so fast and from strange angles. This is a guy who was in the ring with some of the greatest fighters of his era and all time, and that is what he said about Tyson. He never said that about any other fighter. There was a time when Tyson was disciplined, in a zone and simple a killer.

No.

Holmes DID say that after Tyson knocked him out. I have watched boxing, esp the HW division since 1970, and I can tell you that a pre Robin Givens/Don King/3 yrs in jail/partying and not training Mike Tyson under his father figure Cus would be trouble for all fifteen of those other fighters. The reason why there was such WORLDWIDE INTEREST in Tyson was because no one had seen a fighter as destructive as him before, not even George Foreman.

I watched him hit a heavy-bad once...it was fearful to imagine someones face being on the receiving end of those lightning quick THUDS.

you shoulda ended up with the phonetic championship Louis v Lewis...:D

LOL at foreman beating Louis.

Louis should win that tournament.

Always a fun thing to speculate about, good job mschatz.

Back