Fun Project - All-Time Heavy Weight Championship

There are at least 10 fighters on that list that Mike Tyson would have to feel fortunate to see the end of round six against.

Knock them all out?

Ludicrous.

ok. I'll bite mrschatz, the winner in your finals wouldbe Foreman IMO.

Dempsey makes it to the final so long as he doesn't have to face Tunney....

Tunney beat Dempsey easy the first time out, Dempsey would have beat him the second time with the long count debacle. I see Dempsey beating Tunney if they had fought a 3rd time.

Tunney beat Dempsey easy the first time out, Dempsey would have beat him the second time with the long count debacle. I see Dempsey beating Tunney if they had fought a 3rd time.

I dunno, I think Tunney got under Jack's skin. He could've beaten him again in a 3rd fight. shit I've read that Dempsey only served in WWII because people didn't like that he did'nt go to WWI. and Tunney was Mr. Marine right?

oh and Jem Mace beats half these guys with bareknuckle rules and drinking alcohol between rounds!(not really..)

LOL at foreman beating Louis.

Louis should win that tournament.

Foreman's too big for 'em. Louis def could have won if the matchups worked out in his favor. If Foreman had been matched up with Ali for example, Louis coulda gone all the way.

Whats interesting is that 3 of these fights already occured:

Charles beat Louis/Clay (Ali) beat Patterson/Tyson beat Holmes.

In your bracket, all the older guys win (except Ali--who already won the real fight).

I'll take Dempsey over Frazier and Marciano over Tunney.

Man, Liston vs. Foreman would be awesome--as well as Frazier vs Dempsey.

Edit--I see you changed some of your picks. I agree with Holmes reaching the finals (I'd have him beating Foreman). If Ali could frustrate Foreman, then so could Holmes--he had a better jab. His main problem is his path: Tyson/Lewis/Ali/Foreman!!!

Excellent work, my friend.

Whats interesting is that 3 of these fights already occured:

Charles beat Louis/Clay (Ali) beat Patterson/Tyson beat Holmes.

In your bracket, all the older guys win (except Ali--who already won the real fight).

I'll take Dempsey over Frazier and Marciano over Tunney.

Man, Liston vs. Foreman would be awesome--as well as Frazier vs Dempsey.

Edit--I see you changed some of your picks. I agree with Holmes reaching the finals (I'd have him beating Foreman). If Ali could frustrate Foreman, then so could Holmes--he had a better jab. His main problem is his path: Tyson/Lewis/Ali/Foreman!!!

Excellent work, my friend.

Thanks. I should have clarified that my picks are based with everybody in their prime. I dont think Tyson beats a prime Holmes. The only pick I changed was Holmes over Lewis, and that I'm still going back and forth on.

Dempsey over Frazier? Could happen. You can tell from my sig that Im a fan, but I think Smokin' Joe pulls this one out. I think Marciano beats Tunney the 2nd, 3rd and 4th time they would fight, but if it took Dempsey a whole fight to figure out Tunney, I think the same thing happens with Rocky.

Sorry but a prime Mike Tyson KO's all fifteen of them, if necessary.

When Holmes DID fight Tyson, he said the thing about Tyson was not only did he hit HARD, but you can't see the punches coming..so fast and from strange angles. This is a guy who was in the ring with some of the greatest fighters of his era and all time, and that is what he said about Tyson. He never said that about any other fighter. There was a time when Tyson was disciplined, in a zone and simple a killer.

He then went on to say Ernie shavers was the hardest hitter he ever faced.

The famous "Tyson's a speeding corvette, while Earnie Shavers is a diesel truck.

I'm always for participating in a well thoughtout thread.

So here goes mine (which is much better than yours, so NAAAAAH)
(bracket A)
Louis kills Charles KO
Holyfield guts it out against Jeffries
The rock KO's Tunney
Liston KO's Foreman

(Bracket B)
Ali KO's Patterson
Frazier get's KO'd by Dempsey
Johnson Vs Lewis ...Lewis for arguements sake.
Holmes Vs Tyson, Holmes by a mile.

Bracket A-2

Louis speeds the process of brain damaging Holyfield
Liston Kills the rock, and cut's his face off, Wepner sickness X2.

Bracket B-2

Ali beats Dempsey into oblivion, and makes him look foolish in the process.
Lewis Vs Holmes..... Damn, 50/50 IMHO. Let's say Lewis for arguments sake.

Finals A
Louis is more accurate, and probably hits the mat before rallying to stop liston late. literally 100's of right hands over the top of Listons phone poll jab. (he did hang it out there awhile)

Finals B
In a close fight for 6 rounds or so, Ali outworks him to a stoppage or UD. Ali's footwork and angles equalize Lewis' size, and it's a back and forth fight until Ali's better beard becomes relavent and Lewis gets stopped/Knocked down.

Grand Finals.

Ali Vs. Louis - It's quite a toss up with these two... Because Ali could switch up the gameplan better than Louis could, I'll give him the nod in a UD. A couple counter shots early force Ali into a more defensive fight throughout. He dances, potshots and flurries his way to the victory.

Winner of Mschatz HW challenge....

muhammad_ali_16.jpg
[/IMG]

Good response, but I dont see Liston beating Foreman. Foreman was everything Liston was, but more of it.

Good response, but I dont see Liston beating Foreman. Foreman was everything Liston was, but more of it.

no he wasn't, didn't have the same technique or work behind his jab like Liston did. Not as fast, reach was shorter, didn't throw as many punches as Liston did in his better fights without tiring. The only thing he could do better was maybe punche, maybe and cut off the ring. Liston was Foremans master.

Ali would have had the answer for any heavyweight you care to name. He may have had the biggest trouble with Walcott and Charles. Other than that, they were either too slow, too mechanical, too small, too big. It wasn't even that he was a complete fighter, he was the smartest at strategy in history.

And I say that with great respect for the other greats and even taking exception to Kid's recent claim that no heavyweight could have beat all the others.

no he wasn't, didn't have the same technique or work behind his jab like Liston did. Not as fast, reach was shorter, didn't throw as many punches as Liston did in his better fights without tiring. The only thing he could do better was maybe punche, maybe and cut off the ring. Liston was Foremans master.

^ That'll do it :icon_twis

how did patterson get in there? ezzard charles deserves to be there more than him.

What if it's the Dempsey from 1919 instead of 1926-27.....and the ring was a little smaller........and Dave Barry (with ties to Boo Boo Huff and other gambling figures ) wasn't the ref ?.......Me thinks Dempsey can take that fight.

Dempsey COULD take that fight but my money would on Tunney. I just think Tunney has Dempsey's number and that was proven over the course of two fights. While dempsey wasn't in his prime I think styles make fights and Tunney has the style to beat dempsey more times then not imo.

Dempsey COULD take that fight but my money would on Tunney. I just think Tunney has Dempsey's number and that was proven over the course of two fights. While dempsey wasn't in his prime I think styles make fights and Tunney has the style to beat dempsey more times then not imo.

The second fight did NOT prove that Tunney had Dempsey's number.

You gotta remember....Gene Tunney never fought Dempsey in his prime. Jack had been inactive for three years 1923-1926.....making movies, touring vaudville and banging movie stars....The swarming punch factory that he was against Willard had gone to seed.....Tunney was in the right place at the right time.....and yes, he had the right style for that time and place.....In the second fight the ref Dave Barry, who had ties to folks betting against Dempsey, shouldv'e been shot (watch the flash knock down when Tunney dumps Jack in round 8. Barry begins counting Just as Jack hits the canvas and before Tunney heads for the neutral corner).......should've been Jack's fight......shit in one hand....wish in the other.....

Back