Full camp Chad Mendes could have beat Conor

Check out the Notorious documentary on Netflix. Conor severely fucked up his knee before this fight. Could barely train the last few weeks. Looked intense. I’d say it is about equal for them as competitors. Started before Aldo pulled out.

Remember when Dillashaw fought Joe Soto? Or Khabib vs Iaquinta? Jones vs OSP?

It is extremely difficult to fight some last minute fill-in. And also remember that Conor was training for a stand-up fighter, and Mendes is a wrestler.
At least Conor had a camp.

Mendes didn't train for Conor and he didn't even have a camp on top of that.

I've always seen it exactly like TS stated. Conor's never dealt with anyone like Khabib though. I hate to put myself out there to eat crow, but I see a slaughter Oct 6th.

And Khabib has never faced anyone like Conor. Barboza and MJ are so limited in what they do. They are fast with kicks (EB) and hands (MJ) but they can't maintain distance at all and don't have the same accuracy and power of Conor.

You are literally only focussing on what Mendes did and coincidentally committing what Conor did, lol. Not biased at all, I see.
Conor didn't really do anything until the end of the fight.

I give him respect for being a warrior in that fight though. He was pretty savage.

This moment made me lol irl

images

At the very least no one can possibly reasonably claim to know he wouldn't beat Conor with actual time to prepare. I know Conor is supposed to have had a knee injury, but that seems to be more of a consistent issue with him that is variably better or worse, the sort of thing every fighter deals with, than some isolated one-off. Of course Chad is for sure a juicehead so that's kind of bullshit, but also the juiced up peak version of himself wasn't able to beat Aldo but probably would beat McGregor so.. i don't remember where I'm going with this. Man I want to see Mendes fight again.

Just rewatched the fight... If Chad Mendes had been in shape, and had a proper camp, there is no doubt in my mind that he would have submitted or decisioned Conor.

Besides Diaz, Chad was really the only fighter to make McGregor seem beatable. Whats interesting is that Chad is a wrestler, and was able to connect very strong shots on McGregor on the ground, and a very nasty cut via elbow.

Chad also attempted a few submissions, and its clear to me on the final seconds of the fight, he emptied the tank on a final guillotine attempt, knowing that he didnt have any gas left. McGregor was able to scramble, and as soon as they got up, Chad knew he was done.

After the ko you can see Conors reaction, sorta still shocked and surprised of the final outcome, he has very little gas left and can barely celebrate the victory, you can clearly see he wasnt too comfortable with how things were going.

This has really been an eye opener for me, Khabib is much bigger and stronger than mendes, though he doesnt have a great single leg. His ground control and GnP are a lot better than mendes', and his cardio will surely be way better than 2 week Chad.

Conor will also go through that conditioning dip after round 2, and Conors chances of finishing Khabib after round 2 diminish considerably. IMO if Khabib doesnt end up KOd in round 1 or 2, Khabib will humiliate Conor. We could well be in for another episode of El Tapo.

McGregor had a seriouse injury going into that fight camp. Chad is a known PED user. So ur saying that a clean full camp Chad would beat a healthy McGregor?

I give him respect for being a warrior in that fight though. He was pretty savage.

Lol what? He was lighting up Chad in the first round. Those teeps were draining him quick.

I agree. Conor never would have gotten up, as well.

or conor could've still knocked him out.
Conor didn't knock him out regardless.. tko, isn't a ko.

The only difference it would make is Conor KO's Chad in the second round
When was the last time Conor actually knocked someone out, not a tko, with a punch, prior to Chad? Gotta go all the way back to 2012..

Full Prep Conor could have completely destroyed Full Camp Mendes

Watch it again, bud. He actually stuffed 4 out of 7 take downs and was working Chad's body the whole time when they were standing, that's the real reason he gassed. Also landed some brutal elbows from the bottom.

You saying he really didn't do anything shows either how biased you are or are really new to the game. No offense intended.

At least Conor had a camp.

Mendes didn't train for Conor and he didn't even have a camp on top of that.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Of course Conor was in better shape, because of that. What I'm saying is that those last minute fill-ins are usually hard fights for everybody. Even Jon Jones wouldn't fight Chael because he knew that. And when he accepted OSP fight when DC got hurt, he looked pretty bad.

Conor didn't knock him out regardless.. tko, isn't a ko.

When was the last time Conor actually knocked someone out, not a tko, with a punch, prior to Chad? Gotta go all the way back to 2012..

Technical KNOCKOUT you fucking moron.

A TKO is often just a ref stopping the fight before a guy goes fully unconscious.

Back